Can Kessel be stopped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
AgentNaslund said:
im surprised you agree with this guy. Consdiering you do everything in your power to say only good things about him, and try to convince the hockey world he belongs with the same breath as Crosby.

Really? Show me where's I've said he belongs in the same breath as Crosby. I've said all along he's a notch below Crosby and Ovechkin. People like you can't see the forest for the trees, so I'm not surprised you only see/read what you want to believe. I think Kessel is the class of this year's draft and is the best American forward prospect since Mike Modano. That is all.

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
jcorb58 said:
Thanks cyclops ...i really wasnt trying to diss the americans at all. I just dont believe Mr Kessel is unstoppable.

No one is "unstoppable". The problem is, he's not the only person on the US team they need to worry about. Oshie, Ryan, and Wheeler all look "NHL ready" and are having an excellent tournament so far.

That said, Kessel is pretty electric, I almost wish the Sharks were in last place this season. He's faster than a Saleen S7 Twin Turbo, and shiftier than slipsand mid flight, with a wicked unforgiving release and dazzling moves he can be heart stopper on the PP.

Kessel, coupled with the Moose on the US blueline and a laundry list of first rounders, I'll just say I'm glad I'm not Brent Sutter right now.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Genghis Keon said:
To me, so far he looks like a generational talent. In juniors as a 16 and 17 year old, he put up points like no one in the history of the CHL (especially in relation to his competition) and won the CHL player of the year in both years he played (something else that has never been done). Gretzky outpointed him at 16 (but still didn't win his league's scoring title, probably mostly because the draft age was 20 at the time) and played in the WHA at 17. You could potentially argue that Lindros was a better junior player than him (he was definitely a better prospect at the same age becasue of his size), but none of Canada's other so called generational talents since Lindros can compare to him at a junior level (at least I don't see how you can logically rank anyone over him). Lindros is 14 years older than Crosby, which is a generation in hockey.

At the NHL level, I don't think any 18 year old rookie has led his team in points since Yzerman 22 years ago, and it looks like Crosby has more than a good chance of doing that this year, even surrounded by a cast of name players. Maybe he won't improve terribly much and be the one and only dominant offensive player in the NHL, but from everything he's shown so far in his career, he is a generational talent. At least he's shown for me that I can't say he's not a generational talent at this point.

At the same stage of their career as Crosby, who would you consider, or who have you considered a generational talent? Or do you wait until they've reached a dominating status before you call them a generational talent (like how Gretzky, Lemieux, and Jagr dominated the Art Ross)? If you do wait, I agree that you should wait, so you don't annoint guys like Spezza or Schremp generational talents at 14, or guys like Cleary and Samsonov generational talents at 15, but at 18, Crosby is producing and playing in the NHL like very, very few before him.

Way too insightful. You see, the problem is - people around these parts made a decision a few years ago. Either buy the hype that this whiz kid from the East Coast that is tearing up every league he plays in, and is very special - or decide arbitrarily that he is overhyped and not all that good. Now to this day, people are bound by those decisions. And no matter how many jaw dropping highlights, record breaking numbers or league championships they see him earn - they still feel compelled to downplay everything he has accomplished just to try make other feel that they were right.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
ferns8916 said:
Can Kessel, aka "The Lord and Saviour", be stopped?

After watching him play, I don't believe he can be!

You either don't watch hockey or your clueless. Take your pick.

Every player can be stopped, if you don't know that, you can't be helped. No player ever in any sport dominated every single game or match he played. Get that straight!

Also Kessel is not the fastest ever, you guys go off the face of the planet with the hype, its beyond ridiculous, Crosby Crosby Crosby, Kessel Kessel Kessel, the obsessive nature has to stop.

Last edited:

Roger's Pancreas*

Vincent_TheGreat said:
You either don't watch hockey or your clueless. Take your pick.

Every player can be stopped, if you don't know that, you can't be helped. No player ever in any sport dominated every single game or match he played. Get that straight!

Also Kessel is not the fastest ever, you guys go off the the face of the planet with the hype, its beyond ridiculous, Crosby Crosby Crosby, Kessel Kessel Kessel, the obsessive nature has to stop.

So I take it someone else is on board to kill the hype machine? excellent.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Le Golie said:
Either buy the hype that this whiz kid from the East Coast that is tearing up every league he plays in, and is very special - or decide arbitrarily that he is overhyped and not all that good.

That's a false choice. Those are not the only two choices here, it could just be that Crosby is an excellent player, in between the two extremes you paint. Crosby isn't even the concensus rookie of the year. There's going to be a ton of votes for Ovechkin, Phaneuf, Lundqvist, etc. These players aren't "generational" if there's so many around.

Yes, the rookie class is stronger than usual because of the lockout, but I just don't see the absolute domination of the league like Gretzky and to a slightly lesser extent, Lemieux. For that reason, I don't think the term "generational talent" applies.

Psst. London won the championship last year, not Rimouski. :)

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
Crosby is playing as well as... I dunno, one or two 18 years olds have EVER done. Ever. In the history of the league. It's harder to dominate these days than it was when Gretzky broke in, in a league diluted by expansion and containing fraction of the overseas talent we have now. And the other Calder contenders are 20 and up, and the class of elite 20+yo rookies that have lit up the league is far less exclusive than the 18yo rookies. Crosby is looking pretty generational. We'll see though.

Misos Milakos*

Ryan Parent provided a fine example on how it should be done.

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
Kessel is a fine talent, but he needs a few more moves other than trying to beat d-men 1 on 1. I'm sure he eats crappy d-men alive, but good defenders will have him figured out in no time. If Team Canada Jr. d-men stop him so easily, he needs more moves for the NHL.

I'm not saying he isn't worthy of being a top pick next year, but that he is nowhere near the Ovechkins or Crosbys. Too one-dimensional.

time

Feb 26, 2005
Since the last WJC, I've wondered if Kessel had another move. He must, though, dontcha' think? Otherwise, why the hype?

You can bet that Parent was making this point to PK himself.

Misos Milakos*

Rush5Collapse5 said:
Yeah Kessel can't beat 5 people by himself. Ah well, at least he's still the obvious odds on favorite to go #1 overall.

Actually he couldn't beat one guy by himself, that one guys name was Ryan Parent.

Phanuthier*

Rush5Collapse5 said:
Yeah Kessel can't beat 5 people by himself. Ah well, at least he's still the obvious odds on favorite to go #1 overall.
And that really helps USA win the WJC or shows his one-on-one skill :loony:

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
PecaFan said:
That's a false choice. Those are not the only two choices here, it could just be that Crosby is an excellent player, in between the two extremes you paint. Crosby isn't even the concensus rookie of the year. There's going to be a ton of votes for Ovechkin, Phaneuf, Lundqvist, etc. These players aren't "generational" if there's so many around.

Yes, the rookie class is stronger than usual because of the lockout, but I just don't see the absolute domination of the league like Gretzky and to a slightly lesser extent, Lemieux. For that reason, I don't think the term "generational talent" applies.

Psst. London won the championship last year, not Rimouski. :)

London won the Q too? They must be good. I'm not going to make excuses for Crosby, but you have to consider the fact that Crosby is a lot younger than the other rookies in the race. Ovechkin will deservidly win the Calder at this rate, but Crosby is doing what 18 year olds never do. And he's scoring at a better clip than Lemieux in his rookie year.

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
Phanuthier said:
And that really helps USA win the WJC or shows his one-on-one skill :loony:

Never said, that. I'm just impressed by the few games he's shined in. I'd never seen him before this tournament as I missed last years WJC. No doubt he looks every bit the #1 overall he's been projected.

That all said, this tournament is far from over. Tonight was a wake up call. I'm thinking the US team stomps their remaining opponents now.

SaskaSens

Dec 17, 2005
Well, after tonights game, I think the answer to this thread is....yes he can be stopped...happy new years... :handclap: :handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

Sammy*

Rush5Collapse5 said:
Switzerland losing a nail biter to Canada was their wake up call -- hence why the game was so tough for the US.
A wake up call for Switzerland.
You've gotta be joking.

Phanuthier*

Rush5Collapse5 said:
Nah that's what made the US tired for tonight. Switzerland losing a nail biter to Canada was their wake up call -- hence why the game was so tough for the US.
Wow :help:

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
To stop a certain star player, it doesn't matter who it is you lay the body and you play man to man defence. I thought they would lay the body more to Kessel but Canada did a great job.

Kessel is a fantastic talent and if he is going to be the star player that everyone thinks we will be he has to learn from tonights game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad