11/18/05 @ Denver 1 0 1
11/19/05 @ Denver 0 0 0
11/25/05 @ Michigan 2 1 3
11/26/05 @ Michigan State 0 2 2
12/02/05 Wisconsin 0 0 0
12/03/05 Wisconsin 0 0 0
12/09/05 @ North Dakota 1 0 1
12/10/05 @ North Dakota 0 0 0

It looks like he has been "stopped" (held scoreless) in 7 of his 18 games so far. It's still an awfully impressive freshman season.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
jcorb58 said:
I sure hope you americans realize that playing Canada will not be a picnic. We have an intense pride that sometimes defies logic. The last finals we met, you guys won. Our goaltender tanked. I remember when you guys thumped us in the world cup too. We avenged the loss to you in the next world cup and won the olympics. We dont have best most talented group this yr but we got alot of heart and a coach that wont let them quit. I kinda like being the underdog it keeps the guys hungry. I am sure you guys wont look past the russians as they are suposed to be better than us also. Your little walk in the park against Norway is little more than a chance to pad your stats. We are not Norway you wont be beating us 11-2. You see hockey is our pride, it doesnt matter if its the jrs, the pros or the ladies. Once you put that canadian jersey on your representing a country the cares as much as you guys do for your baseball. We have won when we clearly were not the best team. Ask the soviets of 72. I very much respect the americans skill level. They are very very good but the game still has to be played on the ice. Will we win..... we will need stellar goaltending and everybody doing there jobs to have a chance. Can we win ....sure anything can happen in a 1 game series. I look forward to the challenge we face against you guys and the russians. And as for cheering against you. Why not you and the russians are our biggest obstacle. Let the fun begin. Take that as us respecting your abilities. It truely is a backhanded compliment.

:deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The better question is: Can the line of Kessel, Bourque, and Porter be stopped? That Bourque's a pisser! Personally, I think the big test for most teams against the U.S. is staying out of the penalty box. The PP looks lethal, especially with Schremp running things.

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
The better question is: Can the line of Kessel, Bourque, and Porter be stopped? That Bourque's a pisser! Personally, I think the big test for most teams against the U.S. is staying out of the penalty box. The PP looks lethal, especially with Schremp running things.

I desagree on this one. That line is all about Kessel. He is the man , he moves the puck , he creates space. I think if you shut down that superb player --> this line will loose the most firepower.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
CSKA said:
I desagree on this one. That line is all about Kessel. He is the man , he moves the puck , he creates space. I think if you shut down that superb player --> this line will loose the most firepower.

Perhaps, although Bourque is a nice player in his own right and Porter does alot of the dirty work. You can't discount chemistry as well.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I think it is possible to stop Kessel. It takes just one person to shadow him and throw him off his game. That assignment will either go to Chipchura or Downie. Personally, I'd love to see Downie do it simply because there's a lot of Ken Linseman in him. I could see going into the corner with Kessel and giving Kessel the rub or skating away from the fracas and chirping at Kessel and maybe a love tap on Kessel's stick with Downie's stick. The possibilities are endless.

Besides, the person on the U.S. team who should be feared the most isn't Kessel. It's Robbie Schremp.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:

The biggest test for most teams will be that Norwegian referee calling a decent game!

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
HabLover said:
The biggest test for most teams will be that Norwegian referee calling a decent game!

He made some errors, but overall he was pretty consistent. The U.S. will take 15 or so power plays every day of the week!

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Zine said:
Intimidate Kessel physically and early, he tends to disappear.......particularly on the smaller ice.

Really? I've seen him play exceptionally well this year on smaller ice against physically taxing opponents. Kessel doesn't seek out the trenches, but he doesn't suck his thumb when the going gets rough either.

espo*

FLYLine88 said:
I can't wait for till Friday! Great way to pregame up before the night while watching this huge game with a few buds. This is really going to be one of the best games IMO in years...you have the USA which I would give the slight edge on skill on ice, but then you have Canada with the 7th man with the awesome crowd that will be behind them....this is going to be one hell of a game. :handclap: :handclap:
I think you are spot on here.It's going to be maybe the best hockey game we'll see all year.It has that kind of potential.

espo*

Bryanbryoil said:
Agreed 100%, if you key on kessel and only Kessel, then guys like Schremp,Ryan,Oshie,etc. will kill you. Canada will have as good of a shot as any team at shutting him down, or at least containing the kid. I hope that Cogliano gets to go head to head with him, speed vs. speed!!! When they played against each-other in the NCAA Kessel got the better of Cogs statisticaly, but maybe that'll change this time!!! Canada Vs. USA will be a clash of the titans, hopefully Schremp and Cogliano lead the way for both teams and that it will be as good of a game as we are all hoping for.
I think the things we've going for us in that game is the home crowd factor maybe a goaltending edge and the fact you can see this Team Canada is one hell of a great forechecking team.Add in some nerves on the U.S with that forechecking and i THINK it's possible to beat them.It's going to close if we beat them but i think it can be done.

espo*

NYR2 said:
I don't even know where to start with this one so all I'll do is this: :dunce:

That's not even confidence and pride, that's just an over inflated ego of a person who imo comes off as cocky and one that thinks no one else is worthy of the gold medal but Canada. Really, why am I surprised at this? :dunno: I don't care if it's my team that does it, but I hope someone bursts that big ego of yours in this tournament. :shakehead
I disagree,he brings up valid points about our teams traditionally and this particular version.You WILL be tested in that game.It's not a done deal for your squad either in that game or this tournament.Be ready,don't take anything for granted,i sense a few of your fans are doing that and he's simply brining some of you down to earth,nothing wrong with that IMO.It only comes across as cocky if you believe the U.S can't be beat,like the U.S team is above questioning.I sure hope you are not one of those guys because ANY team can be beat.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cyclops said:
I think the things we've going for us in that game is the home crowd factor maybe a goaltending edge and the fact you can see this Team Canada is one hell of a great forechecking team.Add in some nerves on the U.S with that forechecking and i THINK it's possible to beat them.It's going to close if we beat them but i think it can be done.

Hard to say who will be the favorite in that game. I think the U.S. is better "on paper," but Canada is an excellent team that is well-coached and very motivated. IMO, the game will be decided on special teams.

espo*

Rabid Ranger said:
Hard to say who will be the favorite in that game. I think the U.S. is better "on paper," but Canada is an excellent team that is well-coached and very motivated. IMO, the game will be decided on special teams.
Yeah,i think special teams is where the rubber will meet the road too.That brings up some interesting fodder too.Will the aggressive Canadian forecheck end up taking too many penalties of the "bad variety"? some penalties are good penalties but some of the overly agressive type are of the bad variety and if Canada takes too many of them it won't go down good at all.Canada wants to keep it to 5-7 penalties max or they are treading way too dangerous waters.The U.S has more top end offensive talent the Canada this year,that is certain.That's why displine combined with agressiveness will be the key to any chance of beating the U.S.

The game is going to be great.

knight44

Jul 31, 2005
Toronto
Maybe a team can shut Kessel down for a small period of time because if they just focus on him, players on his line will kill them, and all the other players will kill them to. USA isnt a 1 line team, Plus it will be hard to shut Kessel down, the guy is really fast you need someone fast and that can hit to try to shut him down but Kessel can hit right back. I dont think he really can be shut down only if you double or tripple team the guy, but then you leave his line mates open.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
jcorb58 said:
You see hockey is our pride, it doesnt matter if its the jrs, the pros or the ladies. Once you put that canadian jersey on your representing a country the cares as much as you guys do for your baseball.

Wait, so you are saying the Canadians don't care about hockey? Most Americans I know don't care a lick about baseball, unless they are a Yankees, Cubs, or Red Sox fan. It'd be better to compare it to football.

Sorry, I had to get that anti-baseball message in there.

On a real note, I don't know any American foolish enough to think that Canadians don't love their hockey and take it seriously. You can never count the Canadians out of any event.

USA!

Dec 26, 2004
Pantokrator said:
Wait, so you are saying the Canadians don't care about hockey? Most Americans I know don't care a lick about baseball, unless they are a Yankees, Cubs, or Red Sox fan. It'd be better to compare it to football.

Sorry, I had to get that anti-baseball message in there.

On a real note, I don't know any American foolish enough to think that Canadians don't love their hockey and take it seriously. You can never count the Canadians out of any event.

Right on Hockey is the main sport for me! But Basketball Baseball and Football are the main sports in the States. I really wish hockey would take off in the in the south states.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad