Can Kessel be stopped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Seeing as how he racked up those points against Norway I think a true indication of whether he can be stopped will come New Years Eve against the likes of Staal, Parent, Barker and Bourdon... and I will be there :D

espo*

I think he can be but it'll take a concentrated team effort to pull it off.It'll be tricky because he's far from the only weapon they've got.Concentrate on him TOO much and while you may take him out of the game the other guys hurt you instead.The Norway game i don't think is a good indicator of whether he can be shut down or not though.I mean,you expect him to slice through those guys,they are just not on the same page athletically and skill wise.When you have an out of their league team playing against a talented group like that there is just no way for the top talent not to burn you all game..............the whole squad has them running around all game,you just know they are not gonna be able to contain him.

I don't know how their opponents are going to do it but my best guess is that you can't focus on him too much out there.Pay close attention to him but more then anything pressure their d-men and guys so they have to make quick decisions with the puck while you make sure you play a defensive game that focuses on the fundementals of good team defense.Thats a teams best shot i would think.

Oh,one other thing..........stay out of the damn box as much as possible.You want to play these guys 5 on 5 as much as you can.You always want to do that of course but with a team loaded with weapons like them,it's just that much more important.

joe_shannon_1983*

SenSk9tSen said:
Chara > Kessel

Chara > Kessel ? Huh?

I am sure you don't mean Phil Kessel.

Because Chara is no match for Phil Kessel!

Telecaster

Aug 18, 2005
Stockholm
The Russian defense (and goalkeeping) will shut him dowm.. In the finals! :teach:

Seriously, he will get his points, and who knows, maybe he will produce bigtime in the Gold medal game, vs Canada.

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
I sure hope you americans realize that playing Canada will not be a picnic. We have an intense pride that sometimes defies logic. The last finals we met, you guys won. Our goaltender tanked. I remember when you guys thumped us in the world cup too. We avenged the loss to you in the next world cup and won the olympics. We dont have best most talented group this yr but we got alot of heart and a coach that wont let them quit. I kinda like being the underdog it keeps the guys hungry. I am sure you guys wont look past the russians as they are suposed to be better than us also. Your little walk in the park against Norway is little more than a chance to pad your stats. We are not Norway you wont be beating us 11-2. You see hockey is our pride, it doesnt matter if its the jrs, the pros or the ladies. Once you put that canadian jersey on your representing a country the cares as much as you guys do for your baseball. We have won when we clearly were not the best team. Ask the soviets of 72. I very much respect the americans skill level. They are very very good but the game still has to be played on the ice. Will we win..... we will need stellar goaltending and everybody doing there jobs to have a chance. Can we win ....sure anything can happen in a 1 game series. I look forward to the challenge we face against you guys and the russians. And as for cheering against you. Why not you and the russians are our biggest obstacle. Let the fun begin. Take that as us respecting your abilities. It truely is a backhanded compliment.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I can't wait for till Friday! Great way to pregame up before the night while watching this huge game with a few buds. This is really going to be one of the best games IMO in years...you have the USA which I would give the slight edge on skill on ice, but then you have Canada with the 7th man with the awesome crowd that will be behind them....this is going to be one hell of a game. :handclap: :handclap:

albertGQ

Jul 1, 2005
Calgary
FLYLine88 said:
I can't wait for till Friday! Great way to pregame up before the night while watching this huge game with a few buds. This is really going to be one of the best games IMO in years...you have the USA which I would give the slight edge on skill on ice, but then you have Canada with the 7th man with the awesome crowd that will be behind them....this is going to be one hell of a game. :handclap: :handclap:

The game is on Saturday (New Year's Eve)

NYR2

Feb 19, 2004
New York
jcorb58 said:
I sure hope you americans realize that playing Canada will not be a picnic. We have an intense pride that sometimes defies logic. The last finals we met, you guys won. Our goaltender tanked. I remember when you guys thumped us in the world cup too. We avenged the loss to you in the next world cup and won the olympics. We dont have best most talented group this yr but we got alot of heart and a coach that wont let them quit. I kinda like being the underdog it keeps the guys hungry. I am sure you guys wont look past the russians as they are suposed to be better than us also. Your little walk in the park against Norway is little more than a chance to pad your stats. We are not Norway you wont be beating us 11-2. You see hockey is our pride, it doesnt matter if its the jrs, the pros or the ladies. Once you put that canadian jersey on your representing a country the cares as much as you guys do for your baseball. We have won when we clearly were not the best team. Ask the soviets of 72. I very much respect the americans skill level. They are very very good but the game still has to be played on the ice. Will we win..... we will need stellar goaltending and everybody doing there jobs to have a chance. Can we win ....sure anything can happen in a 1 game series. I look forward to the challenge we face against you guys and the russians. And as for cheering against you. Why not you and the russians are our biggest obstacle. Let the fun begin. Take that as us respecting your abilities. It truely is a backhanded compliment.

I don't even know where to start with this one so all I'll do is this: :dunce:

That's not even confidence and pride, that's just an over inflated ego of a person who imo comes off as cocky and one that thinks no one else is worthy of the gold medal but Canada. Really, why am I surprised at this? :dunno: I don't care if it's my team that does it, but I hope someone bursts that big ego of yours in this tournament. :shakehead

Hockeycanada*

FLYLine88 said:
I agree. It will be a great game.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
cyclops said:
I think he can be but it'll take a concentrated team effort to pull it off.It'll be tricky because he's far from the only weapon they've got.Concentrate on him TOO much and while you may take him out of the game the other guys hurt you instead.

Agreed 100%, if you key on kessel and only Kessel, then guys like Schremp,Ryan,Oshie,etc. will kill you. Canada will have as good of a shot as any team at shutting him down, or at least containing the kid. I hope that Cogliano gets to go head to head with him, speed vs. speed!!! When they played against each-other in the NCAA Kessel got the better of Cogs statisticaly, but maybe that'll change this time!!! Canada Vs. USA will be a clash of the titans, hopefully Schremp and Cogliano lead the way for both teams and that it will be as good of a game as we are all hoping for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad