Speculation: Can a Karlsson trade recover the full cost of Duchene?

Can a Karlsson trade recover the full cost of Duchene? (MULTIPLE ANSWERS ALLOWED)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
CAN A KARLSSON TRADE EVEN GET BACK WHAT WE PAID FOR DUCHENE?

ACTUAL PRICE WE PAID FOR DUCHENE

1) Kyle Turris
2) Andrew Hammond

3) 1st - 2019 (3rd overall) = current draft position (good 2019 estimate if we move Karlsson, Hoffman, Brassard, etc)
4) 1st - 2017 (28th overall) = Shane Bowers
5) 3rd - 2018 (65th overall) = current draft position

- If Melnyk wanted Turris gone, Dorion could have traded directly with Nashville for the same return.
- Considering we're now in re-build mode 3 months later, it would have been nice to see this happen.

DE FACTO PRICE WE PAID FOR DUCHENE

1) 1st - 2019 (3rd overall) = current draft position (good 2019 estimate if we move Karlsson, Hoffman, Brassard, etc)
2) 1st - 2017 (28th overall) = Shane Bowers
3) 2nd - 2014 (42nd overall) = Vlad Kamenev (Turris trade)
4) 2nd - 2016 (47th overall) = Samuel Girard (Turris trade)
5) 2nd - 2018 (59th overall) = current draft position (Turris trade)
6) 3rd - 2018 (65th overall) = current draft position
7) Andrew Hammond

RUMORED PACKAGES FOR KARLSSON (ONLINE ARTICLES)

1) Edmonton = 1st (2018) + 2nd (2018) + Oscar Klefbom
2) Dallas = 1st (2018) + Radek Faksa + Jake Oettinger
3) Philadelphia = 1st (2018) + Travis Konecny + Robert Hagg

- These packages don't seem nearly as good as what we gave up for Duchene.
- I've also read that Melnyk might force someone to take Bobby Ryan's contract if they want Karlsson.
- If that happens, the price will come way down.

- If Melnyk wasn't so cheap, he could retain half of Ryan's cap hit & get rid of him with zero effort.
- Ryan actually has similar stats to Duchene over the past few years.
- Using Dorion's logic, Bobby Ryan (at $3.7m x 4 years) should bring back a Duchene sized package.
- That's bad logic....and Melnyk's too cheap.

Anyways.

What do you think?....
Can Karlsson return the full cost of Duchene?....Or more/less?

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
We are drafting 3rd overall in 2019?

Man where do these lunatics come from? You never post on here and make this tirefire of a thread?

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006

None of these are close.

Reactions: TheCoach

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
CAN A KARLSSON TRADE EVEN GET BACK WHAT WE PAID FOR DUCHENE?

ACTUAL PRICE WE PAID FOR DUCHENE

1) Kyle Turris
2) Andrew Hammond

3) 1st - 2019 (3rd overall) = current draft position (good 2019 estimate if we move Karlsson, Hoffman, Brassard, etc)
4) 1st - 2017 (28th overall) = Shane Bowers
5) 3rd - 2018 (65th overall) = current draft position

- If Melnyk wanted Turris gone, Dorion could have traded directly with Nashville for the same return.
- Considering we're now in re-build mode 3 months later, it would have been nice to see this happen.

DE FACTO PRICE WE PAID FOR DUCHENE

1) 1st - 2019 (3rd overall) = current draft position (good 2019 estimate if we move Karlsson, Hoffman, Brassard, etc)
2) 1st - 2017 (28th overall) = Shane Bowers
3) 2nd - 2014 (42nd overall) = Vlad Kamenev (Turris trade)
4) 2nd - 2016 (47th overall) = Samuel Girard (Turris trade)
5) 2nd - 2018 (59th overall) = current draft position (Turris trade)
6) 3rd - 2018 (65th overall) = current draft position
7) Andrew Hammond

The 3rd round pick is in 2019

lol at predicting where the 2019 picks will be based on the current standings.

Hammond is an asset in that trade? He was a pure cap dump (as we can see, he didn't even play 1 game for Avalanche's organization), Sens saved around 1.25 M$. That's probably the cost a 3rd round pick.

Turris + 1st + Bowers might appear a lot but I personally won't cry over it much because Duchene is a better hockey player than Turris. Bowers was maybe the 9th best Sens prospect when traded and that 1st should have been a late first. Maybe it still can be in 2019. Need a good season next year.

Man where do these lunatics come from? You never post on here and make this tirefire of a thread?

I dunno, I saw Toronto in location

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Where the hell are these rumoured?

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Yikes. 2nd rounders from 2014 aren't still 2nd round pick equivalent. If that was the case, I recommend we trade EK for a package of yak, rnh bogosian and gudbrannson. We might need to even it out with job, Lee and Cowen though.

Cloud

Feb 22, 2016
Yukon

I think it's safe to say if those are the rumored packages Karlsson himself would turn that down out of sheer embarrassment.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
We're not slated to draft first overall. There's a lottery for the first three picks. We could finish dead last and still pick fourth. Conversely, we could finish ninth and end up picking first.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada

Well we're in 3rd last place now.....and if Karlsson, Hoffman, Brassard, Pageau, etc. end up moving out for futures......I should still should expect a much better outcome next year?

.....what a lunatic I am.....

Where the hell are these rumoured?

The Score

1st 2018 (Lottery protected) OR 1st 2019

That's exactly what I said.....before projecting the position of our 1st in 2019.

The 2019 pick won't be lottery protected though.....

None of these are close.

I read them....I didn't make them up.

Blame The Score for knowing so much less than you.....

Why does it seem so hard to believe that the sens will finish in the bottom 5 again after losing the best player in franchise history

Thank you for the reasonable comment !

Most people just succumb to the rage.

Those 'rumoured packages' are hot garbage.

So is Dorion's trade record....so I guess they both can fit in the pale....

Last edited by a moderator:

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Yikes. 2nd rounders from 2014 aren't still 2nd round pick equivalent. If that was the case, I recommend we trade EK for a package of yak, rnh bogosian and gudbrannson. We might need to even it out with job, Lee and Cowen though.

None of these guys are busts. Girard & Bowers have OUTPERFORMED there draft ranking so far.

Need some straws?

Last edited:

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
We're not slated to draft first overall. There's a lottery for the first three picks. We could finish dead last and still pick fourth. Conversely, we could finish ninth and end up picking first.

Solid detective work brotha but sometimes you just gotta estimate a number, instead of writing that explanation in an already long winded post.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The Score

After searching the score up and down, I can't seem to find any article with the "rumoured" packages. Given how hot of a topic this is, its surprising that these "rumours" haven't be discussed on HF or even made it into any other mainstream media. It lets me to believe perhaps, you took it from the comments section. That would be rather embarrassing.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
After searching the score up and down, I can't seem to find any article with the "rumoured" packages. Given how hot of a topic this is, its surprising that these "rumours" haven't be discussed on HF or even made it into any other mainstream media. It lets me to believe perhaps, you took it from the comments section. That would be rather embarrassing.

It's rather embarrassing that you looked 'up & down' the Score trying to prove me wrong....

And it's definitely embarrassing that you still couldn't find it....

I feel good about my comments though - so good that I have no desire to find it for you.

Good sir,

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Solid detective work brotha but sometimes you just gotta estimate a number, instead of writing that explanation in an already long winded post.

Or you could just not estimate, and leave it as '1st round pick (lottery protected).
I also still fail to understand how the Turris trade between Colorado and Nashville factors into the price?

We traded pieces, we received pieces. Anything we didn't receive, was something we weren't going to get or didn't want.

So before you start a long-winded post perhaps you should just stick to the actual facts, and then perhaps it's not quite so long-winded? Also, if you're going to state what 'rumoured prices' are, you should be including your source. I can't find anything either. Perhaps you misread something? The only things I see in the rumours are that Ryan may be attached to Karlsson's hip in any deal.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
It's rather embarrassing that you looked 'up & down' the Score trying to prove me wrong....

And it's definitely embarrassing that you still couldn't find it....

I feel good about my comments though - so good that I have no desire to find it for you.

Good sir,

Can't say I'm surprised you didn't come back with an actual link. Find your way back to the leafs board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad