Recalled/Assigned: Cameron Schilling

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I was surprised when I saw this was the guy we recalled but then I remembered he actually already played for the Jets this year :amazed:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I was surprised when I saw this was the guy we recalled but then I remembered he actually already played for the Jets this year :amazed:

Poolman is just back off a large number of missed games (17 IIRC). So they don't want him coming up to sit around more. There's no one else even close to NHL calibre down on the farm. The rest of the options are very raw with slim chances of becoming NHLers (Stanley, Green) or no NHL potential (Nogier, Oligny). Schilling is at least a vet tweener.

Reactions: jetsforever

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I'd start Schilling over Morrow.
We would have been better off last night dressing 5 D men and letting 44 and 5 pick up the slack.

One of the worst games by a D man I have seen in a Jets 2.0 uni and that includes Stu. He is just clueless. Great set of wheels and a pretty not too bad shot but behind his blue line he is lost and always seems like he is rushed or almost in a panic when other players are forechecking him. He is constantly making the wrong play/pass.
I'd sit Morrow when Buff or Chiarot gets back. Chiarot should ideally be our 4th LHD. The question is, do you play Niku over Chiarot when all the D men are healthy? I don't think Maurice does that.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
From what I've seen of Schilling, he looks not to bad at all-- I'd like to see more of him. Also Niku is looking like he's coming along just fine--and Kulikov is playing well.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
We would have been better off last night dressing 5 D men and letting 44 and 5 pick up the slack.

One of the worst games by a D man I have seen in a Jets 2.0 uni and that includes Stu. He is just clueless. Great set of wheels and a pretty not too bad shot but behind his blue line he is lost and always seems like he is rushed or almost in a panic when other players are forechecking him. He is constantly making the wrong play/pass.
I'd sit Morrow when Buff or Chiarot gets back. Chiarot should ideally be our 4th LHD. The question is, do you play Niku over Chiarot when all the D men are healthy? I don't think Maurice does that.

We should but we won't. Our best D lineup when healthy is...
Morrissey - Trouba
Niku - Byfuglien
Kulikov - Myers

But we'll never see it. I know some will freak at the thought of horrendous defensively Byfuglien with worse than a peewee defensively Niku, but it's far from true. Both excel at what is really the most important defensive aspect of the game nowadays. Moving the puck out of the zone. Both have amazing first passes and both can skate it out. Byfuglien is known for being a vocal leader on the ice which will help Niku immensely. And both have the skating necessary to cover for the other's occasional brain fart. It's really a perfect pairing, IMO. We've seen Byfuglien be at his best with Enstrom. Enstrom 10 years ago with better skating is what Niku brings (people forget Enstrom came into the league as an offensive guy that was questioned about his defensive acumen).

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Morrissey - Trouba
Niku - Byfuglien
Kulikov - Myers

But we'll never see it. I know some will freak at the thought of horrendous defensively Byfuglien with worse than a peewee defensively Niku, but it's far from true. Both excel at what is really the most important defensive aspect of the game nowadays. Moving the puck out of the zone. Both have amazing first passes and both can skate it out. Byfuglien is known for being a vocal leader on the ice which will help Niku immensely. And both have the skating necessary to cover for the other's occasional brain fart. It's really a perfect pairing, IMO. We've seen Byfuglien be at his best with Enstrom. Enstrom 10 years ago with better skating is what Niku brings (people forget Enstrom came into the league as an offensive guy that was questioned about his defensive acumen).

Isn't it amazing how many smart high offense players become great defensive players as they get older?

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Morrissey - Trouba
Niku - Byfuglien
Kulikov - Myers

Buff has made defensively suspect partners look good before. I don't know if that would extend to Niku or not.
Morrissey - Buff
Niku - Trouba
Kuli - Myers
might work better. But nobody wants to break up JMo and Trouba.

I would feel more secure with Niku - Buff than with Niku - Myers.

1stDan

Jan 6, 2018

I dont think it will matter because Kuli has gone way too long without an injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad