Speculation: Cam Ward / Vinny Lecavalier

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Even if he posts a .910 (career average) how many guys can do that for a fraction of the cost?

You keep saying this, but it isn't relevant to this conversation. If VL had an identical contract to Ward, it's a no brainer, play him at 3C for two years and hope he is good. But he's 34 and has 4 years left. It's a bad contract for a worse contract. And honestly there is the same chance that Cam could bounce back enough to be the starter if Anton falters or gets hurt as there is that Vinny can regain his form.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing that unloading Cam with no retention would be amazing.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think both teams are in the same situation. Will be tough to move Ward and his contract and will be tough to move VL with his contract. That's probably why the two teams are "reportedly" talking.

Philly needs cap space though as they are only about $2M under the cap with players yet to sign (plus another ~$5M in space for Pronger on LTIR) if I am reading Capgeek correctly. I'm sure that's why there is the request for the Canes to retain some salary (for Cap reasons, not salary reasons) and at least be cap neutral, while filling their back-up goalie opening.

I'm not for this deal as I don't like the length of Vinny's deal, but if somehow they could sweeten the pot a bit (Picks, prospects, player, etc...) it might make it more tolerable.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I think both teams are in the same situation. Will be tough to move Ward and his contract and will be tough to move VL with his contract. That's probably why the two teams are "reportedly" talking.

Philly needs cap space though as they are only about $2M under the cap with players yet to sign (plus another ~$5M in space for Pronger on LTIR) if I am reading Capgeek correctly. I'm sure that's why there is the request for the Canes to retain some salary (for Cap reasons, not salary reasons) and at least be cap neutral, while filling their back-up goalie opening.

I'm not for this deal as I don't like the length of Vinny's deal, but if somehow they could sweeten the pot a bit (Picks, prospects, player, etc...) it might make it more tolerable.

Add Mark Alt, problem solved.

Edit: Apparently great minds that disagree often sometimes think a like.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Do you also think Cam would wave his NTC to go to Philly? Doesn't strike me as the type to want to play in that type of atmosphere, although with as pissed off as he seemed last year, maybe he would.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Do you also think Cam would wave his NTC to go to Philly? Doesn't strike me as the type to want to play in that type of atmosphere, although with as pissed off as he seemed last year, maybe he would.

Interesting point, and the same could be said for Vinny.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think if Cam thinks (a) he has a chance to play and (b) he has a better chance at making the playoffs, he'd waive. Just my gut feel.

Same goes for Vinny. He wants to play C and was upset that the Flyers were playing him on wing.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I think enough goalies have seen what Philly does to their goaltenders to avoid that team. For a guy that was (allegedly) struggling with confidence issues last year, Philly would be the last place he should go.

Besides, he'd likely get just as much play time in Philly as he does here. Mason played well for them last year, yeah?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad