Cam Talbot on goalie interference.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
Talbot's had a tough year no doubt, but everything he said is 100% spot on. Not necessarily even about tonight's calls, just the way these things have been called over the last 2 years for the Oilers. It's been utterly ridiculous. Kesler grabbed Talbot's pad in the crease, literally jams his hand inbetween Talbot's pads pulling them open, and the goal is good. This decision alone cost the Oilers a ticket to the conference finals in their first playoff year in a decade. Then later this year, McDavid glances the goalie, the league itself insists upon doing a review (like wtf???) and call the goal back. Not to mention the laughable game where the Oilers goal was disallowed, allowed, and then disallowed in sucession (yes that happened and they got the call right but wtf??). There's 9-10 more instances similar to these. The problem is league wide I've seen brutal calls go anywhich way against lots of teams. Can't see how anyone can really disagree with Talbot, it's been an utter joke.

I'm not even going all tin foil hat and suggest there's a conspiracy. It's just completely incompetent officiating, this has been a hot topic in the league all year and it seemed pretty much everyone in the media was in agreement that they had no idea what goalie interference was.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
League is a complete joke. Shocking.

Cam has also been garbage this year, but he’s right.

Reactions: MikeGrier99

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Getting a real kick out of the oiler hate threads. Sure call the goals this afternoon i dont mind i think they were both good goals. The issue here is the oilers have had probably 3 of the same goals disallowed in the last 4 or so. That is the frustration that has hit him, but of course no one seems to care about that. They just want to laugh it off and take free shots at the oilers when they can. and it seems non stop on these boards its like shooting fish in a barrel

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
There was zero goaltender interference against Talbot today... on that lone Coyote goal the puck was in before contact was initiated. That was not Talbot's issue... his issue is the inconsistency.

On the Oiler called back goal... very similar plays have occurred against Talbot, they were challenged and the Oilers did not get the call in their favor... the Perry goal in the playoffs last year and the LA goal earlier this year . Not to mention the Kesler interference in the playoffs last year.

Why was Maroon in the crease to begin with? The video doesn't show it... Maroon is going to the front of the net but Chychrun intercepts him and boxes him from getting there... redirecting him right into Raanta. I was under the impression that if you are directed towards the goalie by the defender the goal stands, unless it is deemed you have enough time to remove yourself.... just like the reasoning provided by the refs for allowing the Kelser interference goal to count last year because Nurse "pushed" him there... 5 seconds earlier.

Honestly, it's a nothing game so I wish Cam would not have said what he did... but I definitely get his frustration and appreciate that he still has some will to win... he's had a rough year.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
He's not wrong. I think they made the right call in the Arizona game on Maroon but prior to this the Oilers have been involved in some absolute garbage calls including the playoffs last year. When you have 20 reviews in a row that don't go your way something's up.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Hard to disagree with him though. There seems to be no consistency in this and how many times do you see a defenseman push an opposing player into the goalie, who then gets called for goalie interference? Those calls are just plain dumb.

Sometimes it's obvious whereas other times the goalie instigates it himself so they really should look into this getting more consistent

Reactions: MikeGrier99

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
I didn't see the Arizona goal but I did see the edmonton one that was disallowed. And it was goalie interference. I'll agree that their is inconsistency, but Talbot is just venting because the team in front of him is weak and he is having a brutal year. Frustrations boiling over.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Bad timing for Talbot crying, both calls were correct.

While there have certainly been questionable goalie interference calls, crying after the Arizona games just sounds like a frustrated goalie who's been outright lousy all year.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Getting a real kick out of the oiler hate threads. Sure call the goals this afternoon i dont mind i think they were both good goals. The issue here is the oilers have had probably 3 of the same goals disallowed in the last 4 or so. That is the frustration that has hit him, but of course no one seems to care about that. They just want to laugh it off and take free shots at the oilers when they can. and it seems non stop on these boards its like shooting fish in a barrel

Oh grow up - disagreeing is not hate.

Of all the GI challenges I've seen this season, the NHL has made the right call 9/10 (including these two)

Nothing to see here.... :shakehead

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Oh grow up - disagreeing is not hate.

Of all the GI challenges I've seen this season, the NHL has made the right call 9/10 (including these two)

Nothing to see here.... :shakehead

Right, that's why there is a mainboards that looks like this:

1)"The Oilers have had 13 straight...." - which is mostly just people saying - make better challenges, Oilers management sucks.
2)"How are the Oilers this bad with McDavid" - which turned into, post memes of Chiarelli. Not only does Oilers management suck in this thread, but now it's also the fans creating a losing culture by "cheering" losses.
3)This thread - Talbot is total joke and can't make a save thread.
4)"looking back at the Leafs two years ago and what it means for rebuilding teams" - which as you may have guessed, turned into "why do the S-Oilers and Sabres still suck around page 10 (or earlier).
5)Someone bumped the "Jesse Puljujarvi possible breakout season" - which has now turned into, "let's compare him to Nylander and Scheifele, which is now "he's the next Yak, trade him".
6) "Ranking NHL GM's" - Let's be honest, I'm not even gonna step f***ing foot in that thread. I'm sure it's an utter waste of f***ing time, and I am also willing to bet the house that if Chiarelli is not #31, he's #30... No what am I saying, it's HFboards - If he's not 31st, he will be 32nd.............Because the Oilers are more incompetent than the Seattle Franchise. amirite?

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
Good on Talbot, it's nice to see someone has the balls to sound off on this nonsense. If only others would do the same.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Good on Talbot, it's nice to see someone has the balls to sound off on this nonsense. If only others would do the same.

Yet the haters call him out as a crybaby and talk about how bad he is. In the next breath people complain about the cookie-cutter answers athletes always give.

I found his demeanor calm and respectful. His answer was appropriate for the question asked. He talked about consistency and referred to 2 previous incidents (examples). That, my friends is a good interview. I guess we have too many knucklehead fans that wanna hear about "confidence, focus on the next games, regroup, bla bla bla".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->