Cam Talbot on goalie interference.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Those are two clear cut right calls on goalie interference.

I know Oiler fans are whining about how they lose all these challenges in a row but I can't think of one that has been a bad call.

Sounds like a guy that is playing like crap with a team that is playing like crap in front of him looking to blow off steam.

Easier to blame the refs than look in the mirror or call out your teammates.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
That's completely fair, it just would have made more sense to everyone else (or at least to me) to have this kind of outburst after a call that is so obviously wrong than two that most everyone would agree the refs got right.
Corey Perry did the same thing to talbot in the playoffs and it was a good goal when it went blocker side when he couldn’t move his blocker

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
With the rapid advancement of technology as well as the abilities of modern day athletes I don't know how long we can reasonably expect human officiating to continue.

The viewing public will only have more access to scrutinizing each and every play to the point where it just isn't fair to put officials in the position to inevitably fail.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
When asked by the reporter as a follow-up what his idea of consistency is, I hope he replied with, "letting a goal in on the first shot every game".

Reactions: naruto

Yarbles02

Dee’s A Bird!
Feb 10, 2012
Edmonton
I don’t totally disagree with him but it seems like a strange time for this. We have had far worse calls lately. I don’t think that Maroons goal should have counted.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
The refs got both of these calls absolutely right so I really don't know what Talbot is complaining about.

Maroon literally skates into Raanta's blocker side preventing him from fully raising his arm up, and in the second one an Oilers player pushes Dvorak into Talbot, OUTSIDE the crease, AFTER the puck is already heading into the net.

I really don't see how you can complain about either calls, other than jumping on the "goalie interference is a meme" bandwagon (which it is, tbf).
Talbot was talking about the Oilers' goal today being called off compared to calls earlier this season and last. He talks about it in the video that was posted of his interview.

I don't think he had a problem with the Arizona goal today. The Oilers didn't challenge it either.

naruto

Nov 13, 2017
What a crybaby.

Everyone is getting screwed by the refs this year. Refs have been horrendous to Toronto this year but no1 is whining over here.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
The refs got both of these calls absolutely right so I really don't know what Talbot is complaining about.

Maroon literally skates into Raanta's blocker side preventing him from fully raising his arm up, and in the second one an Oilers player pushes Dvorak into Talbot, OUTSIDE the crease, AFTER the puck is already heading into the net.

I really don't see how you can complain about either calls, other than jumping on the "goalie interference is a meme" bandwagon (which it is, tbf).

Ok and that’s fine if you want to call those goals, but its about the actual consistency as talbot is eluding to. when you have a player Barely grazing a goalie and it’s called no goal and then have players wiping out a goalie and it’s called a goal. He’s right. Zero consistency.

Reactions: bzur

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
The oilers also have a terrible record for calls for.

does anyone have an official list of the teams that are at the top for goals disallowed? I'm pretty certain the Oilers are undisputed at #1.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Well, if people actually listened to the interview, they'd understand Talbot didn't say anything about the Coyotes goal today. His issue was with the Maroon goal being disallowed on a play he felt was similar to a reviewed goal that stood vs the Kings last week, and a Corey Perry goal in the playoffs last year. His point is extremely valid.

You can say what you will about all the flaws to our team, but we have absolutely been victimized by horrible officiating when it comes to goal reviews. If I heard correctly, today makes 16 in a row that have gone against us. I'm not saying the Maroon one should have counted, but there have been plenty that should have over that run.

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
For whatever it's worth the Oilers are also dead last in PPs for by a fair margin.

I've watched a few Oilers games this year due to McDavid, and I have seen a few plays each game where they could've dinged a player for holding/hooking because of how fast McDavid is.

Usually they let it slide though

Reactions: 204hockey

Bando

Jun 24, 2016
All this oiler fan conspiracy talk is ridiculous. The refs are not out to get them, they are simply a bad team gliding to the finish line. Bad teams very often dont get lots of power plays and its compounded by the fact that the oilers seem to be coasting through the season with such terrible effort most games.

I can understand talbots frustration though and consistency with refing is a concern. But this isnt some huge the world is out to get poor edmonton issue like some fans will have you believe. Its also shocking to see how oiler fans have turned on talbot as he was really the main reason they got to where they did last year. Short memories in the frozen north.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
It’s pented up frustration that the oilers are 0-15 on the season for video reviews over a goal for or against.

VoiceOfReason

Dec 19, 2005
from parts unknown
Talbot’s frustration stems back to Game 5 of the WCQF’s when Kessler clearly held his pad down in the crease—and the Situation Room reviewed the goal for less than two f***ing minutes. Since that point the Oilers have had SEVENTEEN consecutive challenges go against them—most of them coin flips

Odds of flipping heads 17 consecutive times is 1 in 131, 072. Let that sink in for a second before criticizing Talbot.

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
He's not critiquing that goal in particular its the accumulation of all the shit inconsistent calls that have been made the past year going back to the Oilers series with Anaheim in the playoffs last year

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
He is saying what we are all thinking. The reffing in general is like the blind and dumb getting together to officiate NHL games.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Yep, both calls were correct.

The oilers have lost some totally absurd amount of challenges in a row like 18 or 20 or something. Even if he is wrong for this game you could trot out a dozen other calls this year that are totally bewildering. He is totally correct goalie interference is just like the catch rule in the nfl, no one has a foggy clue about it.

It's also amazing that one of the most mellow players on the team has to blow a gasket while our totally gutless coach and gm seem to have duct tape on their mouts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad