Cam Neely comparison?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Yeah, Iginla's probably closest. Neely maybe played with a bit more of an edge, he got a lot of room because he was feared a bit. Neither's dirty, but both finish what someone else starts. Maybe John Leclair at his absolute best was a bit like Neely in terms of commanding space, using a big shot, physically imposing, but Leclair never had what they call the 'red ass' that Neely and Iginla do. Vermonters are just too nice on the average. Please be aware that 'red ass' is an expression and that I have no first hand knowledge of the buttocks of any of the 3 players mentionned.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
My answer: The guy named Todd who is currently suspended up in Vancouver. Neely was a more prolific scorer, but put Bertuzzi (in his prime) in the pre-dead-puck era and he would hit 40/50 goals a season, IMO.

Iginla has significantly superior speed than Neely ever had, IMO. (And that is not a slight at Neely, as much a compliment to Iginla.)

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Trottier said:
My answer: The guy named Todd who is currently suspended up in Vancouver. Neely was a more prolific scorer, but put Bertuzzi (in his prime) in the pre-dead-puck era and he would hit 40/50 goals a season, IMO.

Iginla has significantly superior speed than Neely ever had, IMO. (And that is not a slight at Neely, as much a compliment to Iginla.)

Agreed. Iginla is a better and more talented player than Neely ever was.

Bertuzzi and a younger Tkachuk.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
mcphee said:
Maybe John Leclair at his absolute best was a bit like Neely in terms of commanding space, using a big shot, physically imposing, but Leclair never had what they call the 'red ass' that Neely and Iginla do. Vermonters are just too nice on the average. Please be aware that 'red ass' is an expression and that I have no first hand knowledge of the buttocks of any of the 3 players mentionned.

For a bug guy LeClair almost never threw any body checks. He used his size more to shield the puck, take abuse, etc. You never saw LeClair trying to put a defensemaninto the 3rd row ... something sorely lacking in his game.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
For a bug guy LeClair almost never threw any body checks. He used his size more to shield the puck, take abuse, etc. You never saw LeClair trying to put a defensemaninto the 3rd row ... something sorely lacking in his game.
In Mtl., you'd see flashes for a game or 2, but he'd never sustain it. As far as agression, he was like Chad Kilger. You'd see a good shift and start imagining what a wrecking ball he could be. You listen to the both of them talk and you come away impressed, nice guys, trouble is that it shows on the ice. I did think Leclair was a bit meaner when he played with #88, but you saw him more han I did.

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Trottier said:

I would agree with this as well. Neely had more honour and had more of a straight forward type of characater than big Bert but in today's NHL, I can't think of a better comparison. However, I think that if you were to combine Bertuzzi and Andreychuk, their styles would be more reflective of Cam's style since he scored many more garbage type goals than that big goof up in Vancouver.

acr*

I'd say Bertuzzi's body and skill with Iginla's spirit and determination.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Trottier said:

I agree... Bertuzzi and Neely are a good deal closer than Iginla and Neely (not that Iginla is a bad comparison at all).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->