Cam Fowler and Luke Moffat??

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
just curious what is the situation with these two young guns??? I believe they were both ranked super high on the OHL and WHL draft lists..In Fact I read Fowler would be taken #1 and Moffat not too far behind in the WHL draft. Have these kids been drafted yet, and if not when does the draft take place?? I saw the Quebec league draft order, but I have not see the other 2 leagues.

Very interested in where these 2 kids wind up since both are considered to be at worse top 5 in their draft year.

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
Luke Moffatt was selected second overall in the 2007 WHL Bantam Draft by Kelowna behind first overall Quinton Howden. I believe Cam Fowler is committed to Notre Dame for '09. There was some speculation that Erie of the OHL, who had the first overall pick in their respective draft, was going to take Cam but understanding that he was committed, they selected Ryan O'Reilly first overall.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Luke Moffatt was selected second overall in the 2007 WHL Bantam Draft by Kelowna behind first overall Quinton Howden. I believe Cam Fowler is committed to Notre Dame for '09. There was some speculation that Erie of the OHL, who had the first overall pick in their respective draft, was going to take Cam but understanding that he was committed, they selected Ryan O'Reilly first overall.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.
I knew Cam was committed to Notre Dame, but I still thought he would get drafted. Any idea if anyone drafted him in a later round as a flier pick..I mean why not, its not like guys dont leave the NCAA for Juniors, and this kid would be the perfect one to take a flier on.

Good to hear about Moffat, I know he is a smaller type of player, 5-10 160-170 lbs (which isnt that bad IMO) but man this kid has crazy offensive skills that scouts are drooling all over. Good for him.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.
I knew Cam was committed to Notre Dame, but I still thought he would get drafted. Any idea if anyone drafted him in a later round as a flier pick..I mean why not, its not like guys dont leave the NCAA for Juniors, and this kid would be the perfect one to take a flier on.
Fowler was drafted by Kitchener in the first round, 18th overall. I know Kitchener is working hard to convince him to report, but we'll have to wait and see what he does.

pdxshark

Apr 26, 2006
Portland, OR
portland may have taken moffat #1 overall in the WHL draft(room was split apparently) but he wanted to do a year by year type thing, meaning spend time in the NTP untill he was 17 then decide college. Since they couldn't get moffat signed they traded down to #5 overall and took bradley ross, the guy the other half of the room wanted. Moffat is going to be a great player wherever he plays!

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
Fowler was drafted by Kitchener in the first round, 18th overall. I know Kitchener is working hard to convince him to report, but we'll have to wait and see what he does.

Yep, I guess I should have mentioned that minor fact that he was still drafted ;) even already being committed... goes to show the talent he possesses.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
portland may have taken moffat #1 overall in the WHL draft(room was split apparently) but he wanted to do a year by year type thing, meaning spend time in the NTP untill he was 17 then decide college. Since they couldn't get moffat signed they traded down to #5 overall and took bradley ross, the guy the other half of the room wanted. Moffat is going to be a great player wherever he plays!

so you are saying Moffat may not even suit up in the WHL?? That is a very high draft pick on someone who is iffy on where he wants to play. That alone speaks volumes for his talent and Fowlers. Commited to Notre Dame and still goes in the first. Pretty good stuff. Thanks for the info guys.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Luke Moffatt will be a Kelowna Rocket, IMO. He may not be commited fully to the WHL, but I think that had something to do with Portland. The Moffatt group seemed excited to be drafted by the Rockets, and his father's comments spoke volumes for what they thought of the Kelowna group.

He would have been #1 if he signed on with Portland, but since he didn't I think Portland made a fantastic move in staying in the top 5 and adding their 4th pick in the top 39. Kelowna has a better shot at landing Moffatt, so I don't know that things could have gone better for them.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
my prediction. fowler and morin both sign with kitchener. especially with the news they will be hosting the 2008 memorial cup. kitchener has the resources to make this happen. moffatt will play this upcoming season as an underager with the ntdp u-17s then sign with kelowna next summer.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
my prediction. fowler and morin both sign with kitchener. especially with the news they will be hosting the 2008 memorial cup. kitchener has the resources to make this happen. moffatt will play this upcoming season as an underager with the ntdp u-17s then sign with kelowna next summer.

are we starting to see more U.S. born "elite" type players jumping to the CHL instead of the college route??College has gained ground over the years as a completely viable option to go pro, but as of late it seems that some of the better U.S. born kids Fowler, Moffat, Kane, Wahl, Blum,Smith, etc.. are going or might be going to the CHL. Has anything changed in any of the leagues in the CHL to warrant this?? Or is this just want these kids preferences are?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
are we starting to see more U.S. born "elite" type players jumping to the CHL instead of the college route??College has gained ground over the years as a completely viable option to go pro, but as of late it seems that some of the better U.S. born kids Fowler, Moffat, Kane, Wahl, Blum,Smith, etc.. are going or might be going to the CHL. Has anything changed in any of the leagues in the CHL to warrant this?? Or is this just want these kids preferences are?

I think it's due to two factors:

1) The perception that the CHL is a "fast track" way to get to the NHL, especially if you're an elite talent.

2) The greater number of American players who see playing professional hockey at the highest level as a viable career choice.

Add 1+2 and you get more American kids pursuing their dream through the most expeditious means possible: the CHL (or Major Junior if you will).

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

1) The perception that the CHL is a "fast track" way to get to the NHL, especially if you're an elite talent.

2) The greater number of American players who see playing professional hockey at the highest level as a viable career choice.

Add 1+2 and you get more American kids pursuing their dream through the most expeditious means possible: the CHL (or Major Junior if you will).

I felt that it was reaching its peak around the late 90's when I believe all of Legwand, Connolly, Gomez, Mara (I believe)and Tanabe all came out of major junior.. I am pretty sure it was within a year of each other for all of them, but still that was a lot of talent back then that went that route.

Within the past few years I think it has calmed down a lot with only guys leaving college to go to juniors because they were unhappy with playing time or what not..or the few pretty solid guys like Schremp and Ryan that went there. But now it seems that is the route to go for some of these kids. I guess location matters too, I dont think many Boston or Minny kids head to the CHL with all the talent that their highschool and college teams can provide. IMO.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.

I think that is spot on. If you want to be a hockey player, go play the 72 game major junior schedule and experience what it's like to play the rigorous professional schedule.

If you're not sure hockey is your thing, get your education and wear full face protection.

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site

Another big reason for it IMO is because a lot of the kids you see going up to junior come from non college hockey markets. When these kids grow up idolizing college hockey and wanting to wear a certain University's sweater since their youth, they are going to jump at that opportunity, but when elite kids pop up from the parts of the country where college hockey is not played, it is easier for them to go anywhere because they don't already have those ties. Now obviously every kid's situation is a case by case basis and this doesn't apply to everyone, but consider the fact that when we look at Americans playing in the WHL there are as many Californians that go up to play as Minnesotans (or maybe more). And we all know that Minnesota breeds more hockey players on a whole than California, it is just that kids in Minnesota are growing up in a college hockey culture/hotbed where California youth are not.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Another reason I'll add is that players that do come to major junior are treated like celebrities - at least here, from what I've seen. I used to go to Ohio State U. hockey games, and now, being in a major junior city, I can see the draw the CHL can offer. The kids are pretty much treated just like NHLers, there whole world revolves around the hockey schedule - wheras collegiate players are more or less weekend athletes.

I also think that some CHL teams can put together more interesting packages for their players, such as Everett attracting Peter Mueller instead of going the college route. Sometimes just telling the kids that if they play major junior, they'll be top liners at 17, versus on a collegiate team they may not ever get top line ice time - reguardless of how good they are, it's just the 'good ole boys' method of waiting your turn from what I see.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Another reason I'll add is that players that do come to major junior are treated like celebrities - at least here, from what I've seen. I used to go to Ohio State U. hockey games, and now, being in a major junior city, I can see the draw the CHL can offer. The kids are pretty much treated just like NHLers, there whole world revolves around the hockey schedule - wheras collegiate players are more or less weekend athletes.

I also think that some CHL teams can put together more interesting packages for their players, such as Everett attracting Peter Mueller instead of going the college route. Sometimes just telling the kids that if they play major junior, they'll be top liners at 17, versus on a collegiate team they may not ever get top line ice time - reguardless of how good they are, it's just the 'good ole boys' method of waiting your turn from what I see.

That's completely and utterly false.

If you're good enough on both ends of the ice you WILL get your icetime at college level.

Just that some hyper up guys aren't as physically mature yet as a senior who will never play in the NHL. The college team is not to develop NHL prospects. It's to win championships.

If you think that a college would play a slow, dumb, crappy senior who will never amount to anything after college over a freshman or sophomore who has shown that he can play top line in the NCAA, than you're just plain wrong. The kids aren't just being HANDED spots, however. They have to earn their spots. If a hyped to hell guy comes in and isn't physically or mentally mature enough to handle top line playing, he won't get it. But if he is, a coach won't jeopardize his team's ability to win just because some guy was there for 4 years.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
That's completely and utterly false.

If you're good enough on both ends of the ice you WILL get your icetime at college level.

Just that some hyper up guys aren't as physically mature yet as a senior who will never play in the NHL. The college team is not to develop NHL prospects. It's to win championships.

If you think that a college would play a slow, dumb, crappy senior who will never amount to anything after college over a freshman or sophomore who has shown that he can play top line in the NCAA, than you're just plain wrong. The kids aren't just being HANDED spots, however. They have to earn their spots. If a hyped to hell guy comes in and isn't physically or mentally mature enough to handle top line playing, he won't get it. But if he is, a coach won't jeopardize his team's ability to win just because some guy was there for 4 years.

Then explain why a player like T.J. Fast would leave his team in the middle of the season and go to the WHL claiming he wanted to play more? And then becoming player of the month in the Western League and making an immediate impact with Tri. :sarcasm:

I'm not saying this happens to every player, but it does happen to some VERY highly skilled hockey players, and I think this only adds to deterring some from the collegiate route.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Then explain why a player like T.J. Fast would leave his team in the middle of the season and go to the WHL claiming he wanted to play more? And then becoming player of the month in the Western League and making an immediate impact with Tri. :sarcasm:

I'm not saying this happens to every player, but it does happen to some VERY highly skilled hockey players, and I think this only adds to deterring some from the collegiate route.

Uh, how about because the WHL isn't up to the NCAA in terms of competition?

The smaller and less physically mature a guy is, the worse he is going to be at the NHL level when going up against 23 and 24 year olds.

I like Fast as a prospect and I thought he was doing OK in the NCAA. But who was playing so much worse than he was that he should've been handed their spot?

WesternCollegeHockey

Jul 13, 2006

Fast left Denver because he couldn't cut it academically.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Uh, how about because the WHL isn't up to the NCAA in terms of competition?

The smaller and less physically mature a guy is, the worse he is going to be at the NHL level when going up against 23 and 24 year olds.

I like Fast as a prospect and I thought he was doing OK in the NCAA. But who was playing so much worse than he was that he should've been handed their spot?

i wont even get into that argument :sarcasm:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Another big reason for it IMO is because a lot of the kids you see going up to junior come from non college hockey markets. When these kids grow up idolizing college hockey and wanting to wear a certain University's sweater since their youth, they are going to jump at that opportunity, but when elite kids pop up from the parts of the country where college hockey is not played, it is easier for them to go anywhere because they don't already have those ties. Now obviously every kid's situation is a case by case basis and this doesn't apply to everyone, but consider the fact that when we look at Americans playing in the WHL there are as many Californians that go up to play as Minnesotans (or maybe more). And we all know that Minnesota breeds more hockey players on a whole than California, it is just that kids in Minnesota are growing up in a college hockey culture/hotbed where California youth are not.

I couldnt have said it any better myself...and the more that state of Cali grows in hockey, the more kids you will see jump to the CHL.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
I couldnt have said it any better myself...and the more that state of Cali grows in hockey, the more kids you will see jump to the CHL.

lets face it too, not to stereotype but................ the cost of living in california is expensive. ice hockey in that area is one of the most expensive sports. there arent many families that are struggling to get by playing the sport. kids grow up not relying on a hockey scholarship as there means to a college education. they can go to the whl, and if it doesnt pan out, they will still likely have the means to go to college. the whl realized this, and thats why they have a US evaluation camp in southern california prior to the draft. plus california is starting to produce some elite level hockey players.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
lets face it too, not to stereotype but................ the cost of living in california is expensive. ice hockey in that area is one of the most expensive sports. there arent many families that are struggling to get by playing the sport. kids grow up not relying on a hockey scholarship as there means to a college education. they can go to the whl, and if it doesnt pan out, they will still likely have the means to go to college. the whl realized this, and thats why they have a US evaluation camp in southern california prior to the draft. plus california is starting to produce some elite level hockey players.

A lot of Adam Banks down there eh?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

That is definitely true. They almost live in another world in Cali compared to the rest of the country. Hockey has boomed there, and I think you are only seeing the tip of the ice-berg. Wait till the 93 borns start getting closer, there are some amazing kids coming from Cali and down south.

Plus, with the weather being the way it is down there, most of the best athletes in sports like baseball and football hail from Cali and southern states. Not saying that this impacts hockey, but it does seem that these kids can stay athletic all year round outside and pretty much be ahead of the game physically then the rest of the country. I know hockey is played in doors, but I feel that these players from age 5 on up have an advantage because of how active they can be year round. IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad