Waived: Calvin Pickard placed on waivers by Vegas. (Cleared)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Yes, you can trade a player you picked up.

That's not a thing either. Where do these things come from? He is your player, you can 100% trade him. The only thing you can't do is send him to the minors (without clearing waivers).

Welcome to the business of NHL, Knights fans!

I think the two teams that could use Pickard the most (and could easily take him) are Minnesota and Columbus. I looked at the rosters and contracts. Also discovered an article by a Minnesota beat writer saying how the Wild need to pick Subban - well, Pickard is easily an even better catch for them. I mean, Alex Stalock, really?

The Leafs could also use an upgrade in the back-up goalie spot.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
He was bad, but when your team loses 10-1 the whole team sucked. It wasnt like this was a close game offensively speaking. The Pens werent winning the game no matter who was in net.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Last season, no. McBackup was an above replacement level goalie. Pickard had the 2nd worst season by a goalie in the last 3 years.

But in 2014-15 to 2015-16 he looked like he could be an above average starter. I'd grab him (if available) just for the upside alone. Few scenarios: he steals the job from Freddy (unlikely), he becomes a jones/talbot/Freddy/darling type of asset, he is average as **** and turns into a McBackup type of player, or he busts and we have a goalie that could be as bad as Sparks.

Why not give it a shot?

I'm not opposed to the idea, but we do have a known commodity in McElhinney and a big question mark in Pickard. Many are proposing we pick up Pickard and waive McElhinney...which carries a risk as you mentioned. I'm just wondering if its worth it at this point, but I won't be upset if they grab him.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I'd think only the following teams should consider a potential upgrade to their backups:

LA
MIN
EDM
TOR
PIT

I can see Edmonton seriously considering it, just based on the number of starts Talbot made last year. It's obvious that they don't trust Brossoit.

I think Kuemper is ageing out of the development window for a solid backup. So LA might look for a free upgrade here.

I've read nothing but bad reviews about Stalock in MIN.

I'm not convinced that McBackup needs an upgrade, but will bow out to the Leaf's fandom clamour here.

Niemi. A 10-1 collapse is indicative of team failure, so I'll give him a pass on that. Behind Dallas' porous defense he put up mediocre numbers. Previously, he put up average numbers for CHI and SJS. Hard to say if Pickard is an upgrade here.

As for Pickard's worth... He's been playing for Canada internationally - I won't point to his success as his only merits here because Canada ices incredibly strong teams. But, the fact that he is chosen for Canada's IIHF tournaments in back to back years should be noted. Gold medal in 2016. 41 save performance to lose 2-1 in a shootout for Silver in 2017. He may not be Price, Holtby or Crawford - but he still gets the nod as a starter in international competition when they aren't available.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I'll be surprised if he isn't picked up.

1) Better stats than most back-ups
2) only 25 years olds
3) no long-term contract commitment

I don't think he has legit 1A starter ability, but I think he could be a Reimer/Bernier/etc type of 1B guy who can play a really solid backup role, or play 45+ games if needed.

From the Leafs perspective, main problem is we gave McElhinney a two year contract. Pickard would be the better option though.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'd think only the following teams should consider a potential upgrade to their backups:

LA
MIN
EDM
TOR
PIT

I can see Edmonton seriously considering it, just based on the number of starts Talbot made last year. It's obvious that they don't trust Brossoit.
This is isn't a thing, the team trusts Brossoit, Talbot is just an excellent starter. One would expect Brossoit play a lot more this season and Brossoit was excellent in his limited time last season.

If anyone is going to claim him it will be the Pens after last night.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'll be surprised if he isn't picked up.

1) Better stats than most back-ups
2) only 25 years olds
3) no long-term contract commitment

I don't think he has legit 1A starter ability, but I think he could be a Reimer/Bernier/etc type of 1B guy who can play a really solid backup role, or play 45+ games if needed.

From the Leafs perspective, main problem is we gave McElhinney a two year contract. Pickard would be the better option though.

Beauty of McBackUp's contract is it's 850k, so he can be buried with no cap ramifications and that's actually damned good goaltending depth in case of injuries in the organization.

Brockon

Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
This is isn't a thing, the team trusts Brossoit, Talbot is just an excellent starter. One would expect Brossoit play a lot more this season and Brossoit was excellent in his limited time last season.

If anyone is going to claim him it will be the Pens after last night.

Because it's normal to play your starter for 70 of 82 games in a season... Even with a league low 10 back to back games, 70 starts is excessive.

This screams that they don't trust Brossoit in the crease.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Because it's normal to play your starter for 70 of 82 games in a season... Even with a league low 10 back to back games, 70 starts is excessive.

Do you know what the Oilers' goaltending situation was last season?

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014

Brossoit was not the back up to start the year. It was Gustavsson I believe and he was garbage.

I don't believe Talbot will play 70 this year as Brossoit was actually decent for them once they called him up to replace the sieve they had as a backup

Brockon

Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Do you know what the Oilers' goaltending situation was last season?

Apparently not? Care to set me right on how the Oilers crease was manned last season?

I sincerely doubt that Pickard is available to the Pens, as they sit 30th on the waiver wire order. Everyone but Washington gets priority for their claim.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Brossoit didn't even get called up until half way through the season. They sure as hell didn't trust Gustavsson, but if they didn't trust Brossoit, they would have found a capable backup over the summer. It isn't that hard to find decent backup goalies.

Not only that, but Talbot was playing lights out all year, and he thrives while playing more games. There is no reason at all to sit him if he isn't banged up, fatigued, playing poorly, and gets a day or two between games. It wasn't ideal, but its what we had to work with.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Beauty of McBackUp's contract is it's 850k, so he can be buried with no cap ramifications and that's actually damned good goaltending depth in case of injuries in the organization.

I really don't think the coaching staff or management in Toronto is interested in a goaltending change. They seem very satisfied with McElhinney. He works well with Andersen, and knows his role.

I would be shocked if they made a claim. Minny, on the other hand, is crazy for not trying to upgrade on Stalock. I couldn't believe they passed on Hutch from Winnipeg. If they pass on Pickard they're crazy.

TheFactor

Johnny Malkin
Mar 25, 2011
Calgary
You would think that Vegas tried to trade him first.. what makes you think there are takers? Though I'm sure Pitt would be interested after their showing last night.
Exactly that's what I'm thinking they can trade him to the pens. He's definitely an upgrade over Niemi.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Tallon and Bergevin were playing a game of "who can have the biggest WTF-summer". McPhee just joined them.

Imo the Kings should claim him. Don't care what happens with Kuemper.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
I think the Leafs will claim him if they get the chance and try him in some games.
If they don't like what they see they'll throw him back on waivers at no cost.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
25 minutes. I still think he will not be claimed off waivers.

It doesn't matter much,
for a goalie it's important that coaching staff and management are confident in the goalie, especially a still developing goalie, and that they don't post wrong stats on the team's website to make the goalie look bad.
Pickard deserves better and his agent should publicly ask for a trade.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Pickard is a steady, NHL quality backup goaltender. Unfortunate if he ends up in the A.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
A lot of hand-wringing and "WTF" comments about two goalies who probably won't be in the league in two years (Pickard and Subban)...
I disagree, subban doesn't look to be amounting to much but pickard had one bad year behind a bad team and all of a sudden a 25 year old with upside is trash. At the very least he's proven he can be depended on in 20 or so games a season as proven from his previous two years. At 1mil for just this season he's wortg a shot as a backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->