Prospect Info: Calle Clang, goaltender (3rd round, #77 overall, 2020)

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
None of these picks matter anyway. They will only come to age after the window is closed. This was totally worth the troll.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Ovechkin is going to set an ugly precedent, and their agents won't be down to let their bread and butter clients accept paltry deals.

But hes UFA next year while still scoring 50 goals. And 35. Crosby will be older. I can def see him taking 6mil or less. I can even see Geno taking 6mil in a few years to help the team.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Also, goalies are so much less fun to stat watch through box scorers.

Well if we are gonna trade our prospects for this current window anyway then Im happy with this route. With goalies picked this high they are more on GM's radar than forwards/dmen would be. So if these goalies continue the pace they are currently on this year....then we have two very valuable assets..

Hallander and Addison allowed us to get Kapanen and Zucker. If one of these guys can do the same for the 21-22 season then job well done.

I didnt see any players that we passed on that really stood out over taking Blomqvist. As for 3rd round who knows...harder to judge talent later on.

The Brass trade didnt pan out but Gustavsson did land us him. He was the difference from us getting him over Tampa. Unfortunately. Yeah he didnt work out but He was the prize piece of that deadline. We could end up doing something like that again in 2 years at the deadline. Since 2021-22 will be the year we really go for it with Malkin, Letang, Rust being UFA, and Kap/McCann being RFA. Who knows if we still have all of them but assuming we do...and make another trade to push us over the top. Or simply make a trade to replace the loss of the Letang or Rust trade if we decide to go that route(not planning on keeping them so getting quality assets in return) .

Both Hallander and Addison were only in our system for 2 seasons. Thats a pretty good return for assets drafted in 2nd round only 2 years ago.

Reactions: Giskard

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
But hes UFA next year while still scoring 50 goals. And 35. Crosby will be older. I can def see him taking 6mil or less. I can even see Geno taking 6mil in a few years to help the team.

I don't know about 6m or less, but I do believe Sid and Geno will accept team friendly deals to get another Cup. 1 more Cup puts them in rare company.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I don't know about 6m or less, but I do believe Sid and Geno will accept team friendly deals to get another Cup. 1 more Cup puts them in rare company.

Idk for some reason I can see Geno doing it even tho he will only be 35. He likes to be loved in Pitt, what better way than reupping for 6.5 mil for another 3 years to help us clear 3 mil to improve the team? As for when Sid is a UFA....he will be even older. I can def see 6mil. He makes and will make a ton of money thru endorsements anyway....i can see him pulling a Tom Brady(never went past 25mil so the Pats could surround him with talent).

Letang is the question mark. Will be UFA in 2 years. Would likely still get paid around 7mil if he stays healthy throughout. I just dont know if that is with us. Maybe thats one reason they took the chance on Matheson. If they can turn him into what Schultz was during our 2nd cup then we can trade Letang before hes UFA for a solid return. And yes he would get that. Assuming his play stays the same and healthy. Plenty of contending teams would give up a 1st, top prospect for him. That depends on our plans. Do we want to extend our window? Since we can then move that 1st for another dman for those playoffs for example. While still having that top prospect and not much of a drop off for the playoffs.

Also if Poulin, Kap, Legare all pan out or even 2 of the 3....are we gonna give a 30 year old Rust a big contract? That would be risky and mistakes like the Hawks, Wings, Kings, etc made. We could also trade him before he is UFA. For assets or younger player.

Alot of decisions to make after next season. Hopefully they win it all next year. Raising the price on players like Letang and Rust...and we trade them to retool our team on the fly. This is assuming Petts, Marino keep improving. POJ could be an impact dman by then. And Matheson a top pair dman. That could also allow us to move Dumo before he falls apart.

These are all things they need to keep in mind while still trying to win. I just hope JR isnt the one making the moves.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Only in our weird Penguins world are these two goalies BPA available. This is just the typical "smartest guys in the room bullshit" our scouts pull.

We are about to get skewered for these picks over the next couple years.

In 2013, the Pens got skewered for their picks. For years. Their top two picks were a backup from the Oil Kings, and a 5'9" forward!
You know. Jarry and Guentzel.
Allow me to quote Allan Muir of Sport Illustrated from his Draft Grade of the Pens (he gave them a C for that draft):
"Center Jake Guentzel (77) is dynamite on wheels, but he's just 5'-9" and probably will top out in the AHL"
Everywhere I could dig up gave the Pens a C or C- grade, and while they generally thought Jarry was a decent pick, most didn't even mention Guentzel, or had a similar review as Muir did.

You know what team was highly ranked for that draft by pretty much everyone? The Buffalo Sabres. With particular praise for their pick of Rasmus Ristolainen at 8th overall.

This happens every year. The whinging in these threads is identical to what we heard about the Guentzel and Goligoski picks.

Yep. People on these boards scoffed when the Pens said they felt that Guentzel would likely grow post-draft, since his father and brother had.

Explain to me the rationale behind drafting two goalies with Jarry already in your net, all the while being absolutely barren in the way of forwards and blueliners beyond Poulin and Legare (and I guess POJ, who is probably at best a bottom pairing, Ruhwedel-caliber guy right now).

It took Jarry 6 years from being drafted to playing in his first NHL game. That's not uncommon for goalies, who generally take the longest to develop. In 6 years, Jarry will be 32, while these guys will be 24.

Outside the very top of the first round, most prospects take years to reach the NHL, if they do at all. Even most first rounders take at least 2 years, if not more. We have no idea what the team will need in 2-6 years. Never draft based on what the NHL team needs. By the time they're ready, everything could be completely different. (Plus, we're talking about mid to late round picks here - chances are much higher that they'll bust then that they'll make it to the NHL. Even the highly touted ones).

I mean, the fact is that the chances are greatly against any of the players from the second round on ever making it to the NHL. Not just the Pens' picks, either. Without a first round pick, I'll consider the draft to have been successful if they can turn up even a single NHL regular out of it, in the end.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00