California-oakland Seals

Thresher

Jun 30, 2004
HECK
Yes that sounds very much like crazy george. i wonder what he is doing these days.

He's still at it

San Jose State and Oakland A's games

He was sitting next to my sister and I for a bit at McAfee at the end of last season, while ESPN was filming a 'Wave anniversary' special during the A's/Angels game

justsomeguy

Sep 2, 2004
Anyone interested in the Seals would be advised (and encouraged) to pick up or order a copy of Brad Kurtzberg's largely oral history of the team, Shorthanded - The untold story of the Seals, hockey's most colorful team.

He spoke to well over a hundred folks who played or worked for the team as well as a number of fans who followed the Seals' adventures and misadventures.

A lot of great tales in there.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
Does anyone out there remmber crazy george who would go to the seals games and cheer for the team in the stands.

He was my neighbor when I was a kid. We used to hang out at his house occasionally after school. He drove a yellow kit car called a Sterling back then. I ran into him at one of our ECHL games up here last year. I knew he was going to be there so I went early and talked to him for a little while before the game about hanging out with him when I was a kid and where he lived and wht he has been up to. He's still the same. Looks the same, sounds the same. Nobody knew who he was and he still got the crowd going better than anyone we've had except maybe for the Stanford Band when they were here for the NCAA Regional Basketball Tournament a couple of years ago. Good Times!!

Wetcoaster

If it is the same curly-haired balding guy that I am thinking of, after the demise of the Seals, he made his way up to Vancouver for BC Lions football games. I think he was at some Canucks games as well.
That's the guy. He is given credit for starting "The Wave".

Dog as Man

Mostly sniffing around.
Feb 27, 2002
Napa
Does anyone out there remmber crazy george who would go to the seals games and cheer for the team in the stands.

Get it on bang a gong! Or a drum.
I've seen him on TV at other venues in the last couple of years.

How about those little buckets of beer (about 25 oz.)?

Or a Collasal dog with sour kraut?

Favorite player? Ivan Bolderev

ered7

Oct 21, 2006
I dont know were people are getting this info from but it has nothing at all to do with the seals.the sharks were a expansion team period and have nothing at all to do with the minnesota north stars.they moved to dallas and you can look in there media guides and they still have the minnesota records going back to 1967-68.i talked to my friend Greg Innis who works for the detroit red wings and he also said that the sharks have nothing to do with the seals or barons.and wings fans know who greg is from the games on Tv and Radio.
Newspapers and media guides will help you out. The information is there but it takes a little digging if you're not a fan of the wikipedia veracity! Basically, as many people have stated previously, the Barons/Seals/North Stars/San Jose Sharks/Dallas Stars all have linkages regarding the ownership situations. The Gunds have a key role in all of this. If you look back at the initial Sharks roster and wonder why they were given the opportunity to "draft" so many North Star players, the answer lies in the ownership, the Gunds. It's all history, although not exactly the most transparent one, but that's how the NHL ran things. The dispersal/expansion draft was done by telephone conference calls, no TV/Internet coverage.

As for the Seals fans, this site has some pictures, since this is a Seals thread:
http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nhl/caloak/sealspics.html

and there's a book out about the Seals from 2001:
Brd Kurtzberg's "Shorthanded"

I haven't read the book, but Seals fans might want to if they haven't already.

EventHorizon

Bring Back Ties!
Does anyone remember if the name Oakland Seals was considered for the San Jose Sharks? I don't seem to recall how the team got its name, but it seems very surprising to me that they went with San Jose Sharks rather than Oakland Seals or California Seals or California Golden Seals.

EventHorizon

Bring Back Ties!
Well, they wouldn't go with Oakland because the team isn't in Oakland. Asside from that, I don't know.

Well, they could have always said it was close enough like New York Jets, New York Giants did, and soon the San Francisco 49ers will. Different sport, but still, all are teams that play in a different place than they are named after.

But the Sharks certainly could have gone with California Seals, I really wonder why they did not (other than Sharks being a much better name).

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Well, they could have always said it was close enough like New York Jets, New York Giants did, and soon the San Francisco 49ers will. Different sport, but still, all are teams that play in a different place than they are named after.

But the Sharks certainly could have gone with California Seals, I really wonder why they did not (other than Sharks being a much better name).

Would depend on if the Gund's still owned the name...

Wet Sprocket

Apr 10, 2007
Sacramento
I think that the Gunds decided to let the fans decide on the name. Interestingly enough, they chose "Blades" for the name, but the Gunds felt that it might not be the most PC of names and (thankfully) went with Sharks instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad