California-oakland Seals

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
The sharks are a expansion team and have nothing to do with the Seals-Barons.when the barons mergered with the minnesota north stars that was the end of that franchise.i dont know where this thing about the sharks being the seals-barons came from.

Minnesota and San Jose had a dispersal draft/expansion draft thing that was essentially the formal de-merging of the old franchises.

OLYMPIA STADIUM

Apr 20, 2007
DETROIT MICHIGAN
groups.yahoo.com
But they do, that's why the dispersal draft took place, it was a de-merging of the franchises.

I dont know were people are getting this info from but it has nothing at all to do with the seals.the sharks were a expansion team period and have nothing at all to do with the minnesota north stars.they moved to dallas and you can look in there media guides and they still have the minnesota records going back to 1967-68.i talked to my friend Greg Innis who works for the detroit red wings and he also said that the sharks have nothing to do with the seals or barons.and wings fans know who greg is from the games on Tv and Radio.

OLYMPIA STADIUM

Apr 20, 2007
DETROIT MICHIGAN
groups.yahoo.com
You can argue that it has nothing to do with the Seals, but, the Sharks are absolutly connected to the North Stars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_NHL_Dispersal_and_Expansion_Drafts

The Minnesota North Stars are now the Dallas Stars they moved to Dallas and also have nothing to do with the sharks.
Go look in a Dallas Stars media guide and see if you see anything in there about the sharks or there Stats.this merger with the Cleveland Barons and Minnesota North stars happened in 1978 years before the sharks were in the NHL.after this merger the barons did not excist anymore.

Last edited:

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
The Minnesota North Stars are now the Dallas Stars they moved to Dallas and also have nothing to do with the sharks.

What are you even talking about? What does that have to do with anything? Why won't you accept the fact that the Sharks were formed out of the North Stars by the then owners of the North Stars and former owners of the Seals. It's not a hidden conspiracy, it is public fact.

OLYMPIA STADIUM

Apr 20, 2007
DETROIT MICHIGAN
groups.yahoo.com
What are you even talking about? What does that have to do with anything? Why won't you accept the fact that the Sharks were formed out of the North Stars by the then owners of the North Stars and former owners of the Seals. It's not a hidden conspiracy, it is public fact.

I am not going to argue about this anymore you are talking about two seperate teams the dallas stars and the san jose sharks.

Wetcoaster

No, I'm not. I'm talking about the connectivity and continuity of the California Seals, Cleveland Barons, Minnesota North Stars and San Jose Sharks.
As you say it is not as if this is any secret:
Historical Moments:
1976-1991: After 9 failed seasons the Bay Area's first NHL Team the California Golden Seals moved to Cleveland. In Cleveland the rechristened Barons would not do much better as they were merged with Minnesota North Stars after just 2 seasons. After 13 years former Barons owner George Gund wanted to bring hockey back to the Bay Area as fan interest in the NHL had begun to pick up in California with the trade of Wayne Gretzky to the Los Angeles Kings in 1988. However, the NHL would not allow him to move the North Stars to San Jose who had a lucrative Arena deal sitting on the table. Instead the NHL decided to give Gund an expansion team that would begin play in 1991, in an ironic way reviving the former Golden Seals franchise, as he would be allowed to take several North Stars players and prospects with him to San Jose.
http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nhl/sanjose/sharks.html

Ogopogo*

I am not going to argue about this anymore you are talking about two seperate teams the dallas stars and the san jose sharks.

Nalyd is correct. The North Stars were Merged with Cleveland (formerly Seals) and the Sharks were half built by North Stars players un-merged to become the Sharks.

In franchise lineage, the Sharks are very much the modern day Seals.

OLYMPIA STADIUM

Apr 20, 2007
DETROIT MICHIGAN
groups.yahoo.com
Seals

Nalyd is correct. The North Stars were Merged with Cleveland (formerly Seals) and the Sharks were half built by North Stars players un-merged to become the Sharks.

In franchise lineage, the Sharks are very much the modern day Seals.

The cleveland barons or california seals have nothing at all to do with the sharks.go look at the link in the minnesota north star thread that has been posted and read it.there is not one mention in that article about the seals or the cleveland barons.this talk about a barons de-merger is simply false.

OHLArenaGuide

it's dot com
Dec 4, 2003
London, ON
www.ohlarenaguide.com
The cleveland barons or california seals have nothing at all to do with the sharks.go look at the link in the minnesota north star thread that has been posted and read it.there is not one mention in that article about the seals or the cleveland barons.this talk about a barons de-merger is simply false.

I love it when people continue to argue ridiculous things on the internet when they've been conclusively proven wrong a dozen times over.

The Sharks were de-merged from the North Stars. You can't make that any less true by denying it than you can by denying 1+1=2, the sky being blue, or Bill Wirtz being a dingus. :D

OLYMPIA STADIUM

Apr 20, 2007
DETROIT MICHIGAN
groups.yahoo.com
I love it when people continue to argue ridiculous things on the internet when they've been conclusively proven wrong a dozen times over.

The Sharks were de-merged from the North Stars. You can't make that any less true by denying it than you can by denying 1+1=2, the sky being blue, or Bill Wirtz being a dingus. :D

Listen Pal i have not been proven wrong, if any team out there has any conections with the seals or barons its the Dallas Stars who are still the Minnesota North Stars but now play in a diffrent city.thats is just like the devils were the scouts and the rockies.

UCPesmerga

Apr 9, 2007
Southeast PA
Listen Pal i have not been proven wrong, if any team out there has any conections with the seals or barons its the Dallas Stars who are still the Minnesota North Stars but now play in a diffrent city.thats is just like the devils were the scouts and the rockies.

"The Sharks' roster would be created mostly from players off the Minnesota roster, with the rest of it filled in by an expansion draft. In addition, the North Stars' roster would be replenished by the expansion draft as well."

Does that quote prove nothing? Mostly > None

If anything, BOTH teams have a connection the Seals.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
I'd just like to point out that the seal's #1 natural predator is, you guessed it, the shark. Hardly a coincidence.

Wetcoaster

You said:

And you were not correct. There have been numerous links posted including the one I posted above on the 1991 dispersal draft.

Simply denying it continually does not make it any less true.

OLYMPIA STADIUM

Apr 20, 2007
DETROIT MICHIGAN
groups.yahoo.com

Emerald City Bruin

I-90 W for 2500mi
Aug 3, 2004
Seattle,WA
There was not a single player on that Minnesota North Star team that played for the seals or cleveland barons when this took place.i think the last active seal or baron was gilles meloche who retired around 1988 when he was playing for pittsburgh. so again this has nothing at all to do with the seals or barons.

Why do you guys even bother to try to correct this? :shakehead

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Don't look at it in terms of "Oh, this player didn't play for ALL of those franchises."

The Gund family owned the Seals and Barons throughout their short histories. They then got ownership of the Minnesota North Stars. That is the link between the California Golden Seals, Cleveland Barons, and Minnesota North Stars.

Soon, the North Stars experienced a drop in attendance, and the Gund family wanted to move them back to the Bay Area. But the NHL didn't want to lose their prescence in the Minnesota area, so they let the Gunds sell the North Stars to another person and awarded them an expansion team in the Bay Area, which was the San Jose Sharks. This is the link between the North Stars and Sharks.

The dispersal draft was made so that the Sharks could make a team from the North Stars. They selected 14 skaters and 2 goaltenders from the North Stars. There's another link between the North Stars and Sharks.

So the Barons, Seals, North Stars, and Sharks, are all connected through having the same owners, and there aren't any player links between the four franchises except for the one between the North Stars and Sharks.

Got it?

Thresher

Jun 30, 2004
HECK
This is such a strange debate. Here is the franchise connection breakdown.

Oakland Seals --> Cleveland Barons --> Minn.North Stars --> SJ Sharks/Dallas Stars

Oakland Seals
1975/76: ...Once the arena proposal was defeated, Swig and minority owner George Gund decided to move the team to Cleveland where they became the Cleveland Barons.

Cleveland Barons
1976/77: After 9 failed season in Northern California the Seals moved to Ohio hoping to snatch up the fan base left behind by the WHA's Crusaders who had just moved to Minnesota.

1977/78: ...On June 14th at the league meetings in Montreal, the Cleveland Barons were laid to rest, when it was announced that the Barons were merging with the Minnesota North Stars. The team would be owned by the Gunds, but would play as the Minnesota North Stars...

1991-current: The merger between the Barons and North Stars would fall apart a little over a decade later, as the George and Gordon Gund wanted to move the Minnesota North Stars to the Bay Area of California. In a compromise the merger was undone and the Gunds were granted half of their franchise, which they moved to San Jose starting up an expansion team in 1991....

Minn.North Stars
1977/78: The North Stars were among several teams in finical trouble as they finished in last place with a league worse 18-53-9 record. Following the season the North Stars would merge with another struggling franchise the Cleveland Barons. Nothing would change for North Stars as the team's logo and colors remained the same. However, their would be new ownership and new management as Barons GM Harry Howell assumed the coaching duties, and Barons owner George Gund now become a co-owner of the North Stars

1989/90: ...With North Stars struggling to draw fans co-owner George Gund expressed interest in moving the team to San Jose. However, the NHL wanted to keep its Minnesota presence. So the NHL announced it would dissolve the 1978 Cleveland Barons merger and allow Gund to move half the team, establishing an expansion team (SJ Sharks) following the 1990/91 season, while the North Stars, were purchased by Norm Green, who was seen as the savior of North Stars Hockey.

1991/92: Coming off their improbable trip to the Stanley Cup Finals the North Stars had to deal with losing several players to the expansion San Jose Sharks due to dissolution of the Cleveland Barons merger, while getting to select players in the expansion draft the North Stars still lost depth, stifling any momentum from the run to the finals....

1992/93: ...As the season wound down the worst fear of North Stars fans would come through as it was announced the team would move to Dallas. As the talk of the move surrounded the team the North Stars struggled down the stretch missing the playoffs while finishing in 5th place with a record of 36-38-10.

OLYMPIA STADIUM

Apr 20, 2007
DETROIT MICHIGAN
groups.yahoo.com
Don't look at it in terms of "Oh, this player didn't play for ALL of those franchises."

The Gund family owned the Seals and Barons throughout their short histories. They then got ownership of the Minnesota North Stars. That is the link between the California Golden Seals, Cleveland Barons, and Minnesota North Stars.

Soon, the North Stars experienced a drop in attendance, and the Gund family wanted to move them back to the Bay Area. But the NHL didn't want to lose their prescence in the Minnesota area, so they let the Gunds sell the North Stars to another person and awarded them an expansion team in the Bay Area, which was the San Jose Sharks. This is the link between the North Stars and Sharks.

The dispersal draft was made so that the Sharks could make a team from the North Stars. They selected 14 skaters and 2 goaltenders from the North Stars. There's another link between the North Stars and Sharks.

So the Barons, Seals, North Stars, and Sharks, are all connected through having the same owners, and there aren't any player links between the four franchises except for the one between the North Stars and Sharks.

Got it?

Thanks for this post. it seems that we do have people here that have common sense about this subject.and i will say this one more time after this post. the seals or cleveland barons are not the sharks. end of subject.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->