GDT: Calgary vs Vancouver 8:00MT CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
What’s nice is no one can expect Johnny to get 3pts a night and Monahan to score every game. So to have Janko and Bennett come on and potentially be able to feast on other teams 3rd lines, is a huge win for the Flames. Then you send the Backlund line out to shut down other teams toplines and chip in some offence every other game, well now we’re talking.

I haven’t heard anyone else say this, but I liked Hamonic last night and not just on After Hours. He played well with Brodie and did a good job of passing the puck up the ice. If we can just get that defence going, this team has a lot of elements to like. I still question if Gully is the right captain though.

He fired off a few heavy shots from the point that created opportunities as well!

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Source? I've never heard Hartley say that before.

I'm not going to dig through three years worth of Hartley interview videos that might no longer be online to find sources for three different claims. Either you can take me at my word, or accuse me of being a liar putting words in Hartley's mouth. I wouldn't say it if he hadn't said it.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Considering Ferland had a total of 6 goals in 97 games while playing for Hartley, I seriously doubt Hartley claimed he was an all-star.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I'm not going to dig through three years worth of Hartley interview videos that might no longer be online to find sources for three different claims. Either you can take me at my word, or accuse me of being a liar putting words in Hartley's mouth. I wouldn't say it if he hadn't said it.

So much incorrect nonsense is posted on forums that if someone can't or won't back up with a source what he claims someone said, there's no reason to accept it.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I actually do recall him saying that about Ferland. He was talking about his potential and how he needs to play. He also referenced his skating and shot as being among the best on team. I credit Hartley with a lot of Ferland’s development, I think he spent a lot of time with him working on the person he is as much as on the ice.

Reactions: Janks

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
I recall the Hartley quote on Ferland (Hrudey and Ball actually mentioned this during the Montreal game on Thursday), it was something along the line that he can be an allstar in this league, however I don't remember any of the other quotes.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I actually do recall him saying that about Ferland. He was talking about his potential and how he needs to play. He also referenced his skating and shot as being among the best on team. I credit Hartley with a lot of Ferland’s development, I think he spent a lot of time with him working on the person he is as much as on the ice.

Ah, I misunderstood then. I thought he claimed Ferland was currently an all-star.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Forsberg. It looked like a Peter Forsberg play.

I think Hartley was spot on with his talent assessments

Bennett - Forsberg
Monahan - Sakic
Ferland - All-Star

Spot on with Ferland as an All-Star?

he doesn't look close to an All-Star or developing into one.

Also did he say "poor mans" in front of Forsberg and Sakic because if not he was dead wrong on both of those as well. And if the Gaudreau-Drury comparison was made looks like he is 0 for 4.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don’t think the word poor mans needs to be in front of Forsberg and Sakic. Most people can take and draw the conclusion that a comparison is just that. Or maybe they can’t, because I got so much flack I’m here for dropping the #99 one to Gaudreau before he turned pro.

My point still stands though, a style of play is the main point of reference.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I don’t think the word poor mans needs to be in front of Forsberg and Sakic. Most people can take and draw the conclusion that a comparison is just that. Or maybe they can’t, because I got so much flack I’m here for dropping the #99 one to Gaudreau before he turned pro.

My point still stands though, a style of play is the main point of reference.

I've always thought Monahan was more of a Sakic than a Toews as far as play style goes. Don't like the Gaudreau/Forsberg comparison though.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I've always thought Monahan was more of a Sakic than a Toews as far as play style goes. Don't like the Gaudreau/Forsberg comparison though.

I get why you would say that, but I think Sakic was more dynamic. I know most will not remember this player, but I think Dale Hawerchuk is a real good comparable for Monahan. One of the more quiet stars of his time and a consistent goal scorer.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I think Monahan is more like Joe Nieuwendyk...basically a goal scoring center (or winger lol)

Sakic and Hawerchuk are more of a play maker

Reactions: Janks

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Yes he was but he also generated tons of offense for his team

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
As much as I am loathe to agree with OKG ( :P ) I do remember that particular comparison. He said something along the lines of "Bennett can become that big bodied, hard nosed skilled player, like Forsberg".

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Guys, I'm really confused. I don't remember Joe Sakic playing RW on the third line, why are we comparing Monahan to him?

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Guys, I'm really confused. I don't remember Joe Sakic playing RW on the third line, why are we comparing Monahan to him?

No no no. Valimaki Sushi has pointed out he would be a LW since he's a LHS :P

/\ Saying that, isn't saying "Bennett will be Forsberg" and adding some context certainly helps.

Sure, but I think OKG has a tendency to never fully flesh out things contextually that people love to jump all over, both on this board and the main boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->