Proposal: Calgary-Philadelphia

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
This is complete ****ing bull****.... “not even consider”... really?
Yeah, the deal is probably pretty close but one that neither side does because in the end both are actually worse off than before the trade

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Gaudreau is a great player. But we need our 1C more than we need another top line left winger. Thus, no consideration.

Simple concept.
What I think people are missing is that as great as Johnny Hockey is, he simply won't bump G off the top line so he'd be our 2nd line lw (I know he's better than that but those are the facts). We simy can't trade our #1 center (even if he's not in the same conversation as say McDavid types) for what would be our 2nd best lw no matter how good he may be. It's just a bad idea for both teams

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
This is complete ****ing bull****.... “not even consider”... really?

Johnny Hockey is great and he's even a local here --- but they're right. Wouldn't even consider it seriously.

They may be identical in value and statistical output, but Couturier is just too valuable to us.

Reactions: Rebels57

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Couts is a top 3 defensive minded forward in the league who just put up a 30 goal 70 some point campaign on his first time playing on the top line. Not to mention he’s only 25.

While the value is fair... Couts means more to Philly than Gaudreau would. I honestly think that Hextall wouldn’t even consider this trade.

FanTheFlames

Aug 20, 2017
This is bad for both teams first calgary already has a very good defensive center in backlund and trading the #1 offensive player on the team for another 2 way center when your center depth is a mile long with Monahan, backlund, bennett (feel peters is gonna give him big opportunities) ,jankowski, dube, mangiapane, lazar? The only thing that makes sense is brodie and simmonds in this trade proposal

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Johnny Hockey is great and he's even a local here --- but they're right. Wouldn't even consider it seriously.

They may be identical in value and statistical output, but Couturier is just too valuable to us.

But they're not identical in statistical output. Like, not even close. Couturier is a complimentary offensive player. Gaudreau drives the entire offense of the flames.

Donuts

Nov 7, 2014
Midget puck hogger gaudreau will not get you couturier

Add to that a centre is more valuable and couturier is the type of player you want in the playoffs

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Midget puck hogger gaudreau will not get you couturier

Add to that a centre is more valuable and couturier is the type of player you want in the playoffs

theres no reason for this, Gaudreau is a great hockey player who would be welcomed on to any team on the league. Id love to add him to the Flyers, but we dont have the spare pieces to make that happen.

The deal isnt a good fit, and thats fine. Theres absolutely no reason to trash the player because of that.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
But they're not identical in statistical output. Like, not even close. Couturier is a complimentary offensive player. Gaudreau drives the entire offense of the flames.
Based of Couts play... he drives offense. Honestly- all of Giroux, Couturier, and Konecny on that 1st line drive offense. Voracek is on the fence if this conversation, but I wouldn’t call him a complementary piece strictly.

Complementary pieces in the flyers for the likes of this are Simmonds, Lindblom, Raffl, and Laughton.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

Ah he's a really nice guy, eh?

Alright, so I'll put it nicely: Sean Couturier is more than a complementary offensive player. Even when he wasn't putting up big numbers the previous few years, his advanced offensive stats were borderline outstanding considering his linemates and quality of competition.

Reactions: Larry44

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Ah he's a really nice guy, eh?

Alright, so I'll put it nicely: Sean Couturier is more than a complementary offensive player. Even when he wasn't putting up big numbers the previous few years, his advanced offensive stats were borderline outstanding considering his linemates and quality of competition.

Compared to Gaudreau, he's very much a complimentary offensive player.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I believe someone has said it before, but if I was the Flyers' GM, I would just wait 4 years until Johnny hits free agency. I feel like if I had the necessary cap space and term to get him, he would most certainly want to play closer to home.

I think the type of deal I'd like to see is Hamilton + prospect for Sanheim and Simmonds. I'm not sure what Flyers fans think on that.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I believe someone has said it before, but if I was the Flyers' GM, I would just wait 4 years until Johnny hits free agency. I feel like if I had the necessary cap space and term to get him, he would most certainly want to play closer to home.

I think the type of deal I'd like to see is Hamilton + prospect for Sanheim and Simmonds. I'm not sure what Flyers fans think on that.

Sanheim is a tough sell, but that offer certainly isnt insulting like some of the ones that are in the RHD thread.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

Depends on the prospect, I'd say.

But I'd think about it.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Couturier is 25 and had never had a 40 point season until this year

Not sure why there's the slightest bit of hesitation in parting with him if the return is Gaudeau

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Couturier is 25 and had never had a 40 point season until this year

Not sure why there's the slightest bit of hesitation in parting with him if the return is Gaudeau

He's a monster all over the ice. Has been for years, but was in horrible positions previously. His defensive zone starts were super high, had arguably the toughest statistical competition in the league, had trash linemates, and never played the PP.

This past year, he was give real linemates for a change and got more O-starts than ever before. No one in Philadelphia is surprised he performed well.

@Appleyard can you explain with your super stat brain?

Reactions: Jray42

LetsGoFlames

Drop the puck!
Dec 18, 2011
Weyburn, Sk
I agree with most on here. Not a terrible trade but we'd have to say no to it. And the best deal between our teams likely starts with Hamilton, + for Sanheim and Simmonds. That's something I'd be willing to explore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad