Proposal: Calgary-Philadelphia

Nov 24, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
Correct. I imagine that Flames fans will feel the same way about Couturier, since you already have Monahan. Both players values to the opposite team is diminished because they already have a star at that position.
Yeah exactly, similar players who’s importance to the team is worth more than a potentially better player.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I think people just don't know what the Flyers depth is at C now that Giroux is at LW.

Couts
Patrick
????? need someone to replace Filppula
????? Maybe Laughton, but he was moved to wing and Lehtera finished the season at #4C

Frost likely needs another year of Jr
Vorobyev likely stats in the AHL and he "may' be a call-up in season

So as of this moment, the Flyers actually NEED 1...maybe 2 C for this coming season. They are not trading their best one. And I fully expect Couturier to drop in point next season to around the 60 range. But he is can't be replaced from within at all.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Wouldn’t be shocked if Gaudreau plays here eventually from previous comments he’s made, but it’s a few years away.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
As awesome as Gaudreau is, and how cool it would be for him to come home, this is a trade the Flyers cannot afford to make. Couturier is currently their top line center and he was a monster in the playoffs - literally playing through serious injury in attempts to carry the team on his back. The Flyers, and the fans alike, honor and reward those type of efforts. And, rightfully so. Couturier will not be traded.

That aside, the Flyers have two upcoming picks and should be able to choose from a couple of nice wingers at 14 and 19. I could see the Flyers targeting Farabee, Kravtsov, Denisenko, Noel, Bokk and Kaut with those picks.

The value of a Gaudreau for Couturier deal looks decent on the surface, but it's not a smart deal for the Flyers and one Hextall would never make.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Yeah. No.
Couturier doesn't have a Giroux/Vorachek player in Calgary, now that we've traded Gaudreau.

We'd have absolutely the most boring centre depth in the league.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Yeah. No.
Couturier doesn't have a Giroux/Vorachek player in Calgary, now that we've traded Gaudreau.

We'd have absolutely the most boring centre depth in the league.

You don't know Couturier if you think Couturier was only good because of Giroux

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
As awesome as Gaudreau is, and how cool it would be for him to come home, this is a trade the Flyers cannot afford to make. Couturier is currently their top line center and he was a monster in the playoffs - literally playing through serious injury in attempts to carry the team on his back. The Flyers, and the fans alike, honor and reward those type of efforts. And, rightfully so. Couturier will not be traded.

That aside, the Flyers have two upcoming picks and should be able to choose from a couple of nice wingers at 14 and 19. I could see the Flyers targeting Farabee, Kravtsov, Denisenko, Noel, Bokk and Kaut with those picks.

The value of a Gaudreau for Couturier deal looks decent on the surface, but it's not a smart deal for the Flyers and one Hextall would never make.
nice to see you have changed from your "trade Couturier for Bernier" days.

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
As an outsider. It sounds ridiculous if Phili is getting gaudreau, but saying couturier is untouchable. Your lucky if that's calgary starting point!

Can’t recall seeing the word untouchable. Fact is we need center depth more than Gadreau. It’s not at all a knock on him mind you....at all. Coots is our top line centre with Giroux on the wing. After him it’s Patrick and guys like Laughton until Frost and Vorobyev are ready. Would you deal Coots and leave that as your centre depth?? For a winger??

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
nice to see you have changed from your "trade Couturier for Bernier" days.

#FakeNews. Never suggested trading Couturier for Bernier. I was fine with trading Couturier for a more offensively gifted forward in the past, but after seeing what he did this year (especially in the playoffs), the kid earned my respect in spades. Him and Provorov are 100% untouchable, unless someone is getting stupid and names like Matthews are being thrown around. Couturier cannot be traded right now. Not after what he did in the playoffs.

I will admit, I was wrong about Couturier. I thought he would top off as a 25g/35a player at best. He smashed that.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
#FakeNews. Never suggested trading Couturier for Bernier. I was fine with trading Couturier for a more offensively gifted forward in the past, but after seeing what he did this year (especially in the playoffs), the kid earned my respect in spades. Him and Provorov are 100% untouchable, unless someone is getting stupid and names like Matthews are being thrown around. Couturier cannot be traded right now. Not after what he did in the playoffs.

I will admit, I was wrong about Couturier. I thought he would top off as a 25g/35a player at best. He smashed that.
wrong.jpg

Your exact quote:

"You do realize that Sean Couturier was a trade chip that could have been used to get Bobby Ryan, Loui Eriksson or Jonathan Bernier this summer, right? For two year's now, Couturier is a player other teams have coveted in trade talks yet Paul Holmgren considers him an "untouchable" for some odd reason.

And, yes, you do trade "legit shutdown centers" when the return could be a top line sniper (which Flyers need badly) or a potential franchise goalie. Teams acquire 3rd line, checking centers a lot easier than top scorers and goalies. Accomplished players like Handzus and Bolland could be had via trade or free agency.... and their sticker price is a lot less than other players"

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Hell...less than 1 year ago(June 23rd 2017) you said:

Don't speak for this Philly fan. I'd trade Couturier for Galchenyuk in a second. :yo:

Cooooooooots!!! Most. Overrated. Flyer. Ever. :rant:[
/QUOTE]

Or on June 22nd 2017:

Couturier is a completely different issue. Most. Overrated. Flyer. Ever. And save the swanky "analytics", I'm not impressed. I watch Couturier play, he's an average player with above average defense and limited offense.

Again on June 22,2017:

All of that said, it has nothing to do with the fact that, yes, Giroux and Couturier are massively overrated by Flyers fans on this forum. And I'm in favor of them being dealt for a good return.

Again June 22, 2017:

I hope Giroux and/or Couturier are one of the pieces going. The 2 most overrated Flyers in recent history. Simmonds shouldn't be traded - he should be named captain.

Feb 22, 2017:

Couturier is not cut out to be a scoring center, he's just not. He's slow and lumbering and his hands are average at best. He's a fine 3rd liner and that's it... enough with continually trying to fool ourselves into thinking he's more than that.

Feb 20, 2017:

Couturier should be available in a second. I'm a Flyers fan and some of my fellow Flyers fans are crazy, the way they overrate this guy. And Giroux would be traded before Simmonds if anyone has been paying attention

So let's not pretend that you thought Couturier would top out at a 60 point guy either.

mic-drop.png
[/QUOTE]

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Hell...less than 1 year ago(June 23rd 2017) you said:

Don't speak for this Philly fan. I'd trade Couturier for Galchenyuk in a second. :yo:

Cooooooooots!!! Most. Overrated. Flyer. Ever. :rant:[
/QUOTE]

Or on June 22nd 2017:

Couturier is a completely different issue. Most. Overrated. Flyer. Ever. And save the swanky "analytics", I'm not impressed. I watch Couturier play, he's an average player with above average defense and limited offense.

Again on June 22,2017:

All of that said, it has nothing to do with the fact that, yes, Giroux and Couturier are massively overrated by Flyers fans on this forum. And I'm in favor of them being dealt for a good return.

Again June 22, 2017:

I hope Giroux and/or Couturier are one of the pieces going. The 2 most overrated Flyers in recent history. Simmonds shouldn't be traded - he should be named captain.

Feb 22, 2017:

Couturier is not cut out to be a scoring center, he's just not. He's slow and lumbering and his hands are average at best. He's a fine 3rd liner and that's it... enough with continually trying to fool ourselves into thinking he's more than that.

Feb 20, 2017:

Couturier should be available in a second. I'm a Flyers fan and some of my fellow Flyers fans are crazy, the way they overrate this guy. And Giroux would be traded before Simmonds if anyone has been paying attention

So let's not pretend that you thought Couturier would top out at a 60 point guy either.

View attachment 125317
[/QUOTE]

Trading Giroux before Simmonds is another steaming take.

Reactions: pmwlker and Tripod

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Trading Giroux before Simmonds is another steaming take.[/QUOTE]
Reality is if he thought Couts would top out as a 60 point C, he never would have said any of those things. He just was not being honest.

But yeah, Simmonds for captain...dear lord.

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
If any of you trade board readers enjoy petty disputes between posters about arguments that have gone on for years, please head over to the Flyers board for more. Riveting stuff.

Pick a team it goes on everywhere. Not just the Flyers.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
We would not even consider a trade of Couturier for Gaudreau. No, thanks.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Trading Giroux before Simmonds is another steaming take.
Reality is if he thought Couts would top out as a 60 point C, he never would have said any of those things. He just was not being honest.

But yeah, Simmonds for captain...dear lord.

I was wrong about Couts said that. And I didn't specifically say I would trade him 1 for 1 for Bernier. But I would have moved him for a more offensively gifted forward. He proved me wrong, got no problem owning that.

And, yes, I stand firm with Giroux. Not a fan. Actually, shouldn't say "not a fan", just think he is very overrated. I wouldn't give him away but I would certainly trade him after a career year for a younger player with awesome potential who will peak with the rest of the kids.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Trade makes no sense for Calgary, they're trading one of their best offensive wingers for a center? And I like Simmon's but I wouldn't trade for a package where one of the players is probably going the UFA route after this year.

Calgary ends up worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad