Proposal: Calgary-Philadelphia

MoneyHands95

Oct 7, 2017
Calgary
Both teams are close to being really strong contenders with just a few blaring issues.
Calgary needs some goal scoring and consistency in their top 9 and have plenty depth in Defense.
Philly (from what ive read) appears to be offense speed, some defensive contribution in the offensive zone with a preference to keep their draft picks and younger prosepects.

My trade talks would start with:

To Philly:
Johnny Gaudreau
-why? Johnny is a philadelphia guy who would be motivated to play for his favourite team. Additionally Johnny's speed and puck handling would be just what philly needs to add the speed aspect to their game.
TJ Brodie
-why? Brodie is capable of being a great offensive zone threat when paired with a leadership defenceman and honestly he is a good player and maybe needs a change of scenery.

To Calgary:
Sean Couturier
Why: a little bit of a risk, this last year couts had with the flyers was very impressive reaching the 30 goal mark for the first time ever and a far jump to point record for a season. But the big frame, scoring touch and incredible +/- rating is all heavily needed by flames top 9 and hopefully it continues.
Wayne Simmonds
Why? Being mainly a power forward with great dynamic and scoring ability is exactly what is needed on the RW. Basically a Ferland when he is on top of his game, but for a LOT more of the time.

These are big names to toss around, so I get many people dont want to let go, but I believe needs are being addressed on both sides at a cost that is completely manageable giving the teams resources.

If either team adds, perhaps philly gives flames a stand up defenceman who is good at locking down the fort rather than putting up points. Or on the other hand, if Flames add, perhaps we work in Kyllington for his upside potential and incredible footspeed and offensive ability.

Point production displacement is similar based on last years statistics, and each team keeps a lot of what they dont want to give up.

Being a huge trade like this, I doubt this would be close to what a finalized deal would look like, but its a starter.

I guess flames would be worried about whether couturier can keep up with his last season and if simmonds is still going strong, but philly would also have to worry about if Brodie's environment change would be positive or not.

What do you guys think? Too much? Should teams leave it and stick with what they got in hopes they can pull it together?

SteadyFreddie

Jun 11, 2018
Both teams are close to being really strong contenders with just a few blaring issues.
Calgary needs some goal scoring and consistency in their top 9 and have plenty depth in Defense.
Philly (from what ive read) appears to be offense speed, some defensive contribution in the offensive zone with a preference to keep their draft picks and younger prosepects.

To Philly:
Johnny Gaudreau
-why? Johnny is a philadelphia guy who would be motivated to play for his favourite team. Additionally Johnny's speed and puck handling would be just what philly needs to add the speed aspect to their game.
TJ Brodie
-why? Brodie is capable of being a great offensive zone threat when paired with a leadership defenceman and honestly he is a good player and maybe needs a change of scenery.

To Calgary:
Sean Couturier
Why: a little bit of a risk, this last year couts had with the flyers was very impressive reaching the 30 goal mark for the first time ever and a far jump to point record for a season. But the big frame, scoring touch and incredible +/- rating is all heavily needed by flames top 9 and hopefully it continues.
Wayne Simmonds
Why? Being mainly a power forward with great dynamic and scoring ability is exactly what is needed on the RW. Basically a Ferland when he is on top of his game, but for a LOT more of the time.

These are big names to toss around, so I get many people dont want to let go, but I believe needs are being addressed on both sides at a cost that is completely manageable giving the teams resources.

If either team adds, perhaps philly gives flames a stand up defenceman who is good at locking down the fort rather than putting up points. Or on the other hand, if Flames add, perhaps we work in Kyllington for his upside potential and incredible footspeed and offensive ability.

Point production displacement is similar based on last years statistics, and each team keeps a lot of what they dont want to give up.

Being a huge trade like this, I doubt this would be close to what a finalized deal would look like, but its a starter.

I guess flames would be worried about whether couturier can keep up with his last season and if simmonds is still going strong, but philly would also have to worry about if Brodie's environment change would be positive or not.

What do you guys think? Too much? Should teams leave it and stick with what they got in hopes they can pull it together?
This trade doesn't really make much sense from a Calgary standpoint. If they are in need of scoring in their top 9, why would they trade their best offensive player Gaudreau?

Flyerfan47

Jun 30, 2011

To Philly:
Johnny Gaudreau
TJ Brodie

To Calgary:
Sean Couturier
Wayne Simmonds

Flyers ARE NOT trading Couturier ! Flyers don't need Brodie !

Allhailtheleafs

Feb 18, 2018
As an outsider. It sounds ridiculous if Phili is getting gaudreau, but saying couturier is untouchable. Your lucky if that's calgary starting point!

Reactions: CF84

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Knew what the proposal was going to be and what the answers were going to be before even opening the thread.

Honestly I think it's good value but I will vomit and renounce my fanhood if we trade Johnny. Likewise Philly fans are going to clobber you for taking Couturier

Pastawithsauce

May 10, 2017
IMO I think the value is there but Couturier is a top 5 defensive C in the league and with his 30,30 breakout this year is value him higher than I value Johnny. I’d see philly trading Giroux before Couts.

Reactions: hatcher

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC

To Philly:
Johnny Gaudreau
TJ Brodie

To Calgary:
Sean Couturier
Wayne Simmonds

Were signing Johnny hockey at the end of his deal anyway so were gonna keep coots.

Reactions: Bruckuss

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Yea Couts is a selke level player making peanuts. Give to take and all that, but this can’t happen. There are only a handful of players I’d trade Couts for.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
As an outsider. It sounds ridiculous if Phili is getting gaudreau, but saying couturier is untouchable. Your lucky if that's calgary starting point!

I see there are still some people who think Couturier is a 3C.

Philly isn't trading their Selke candidate 70 point 1C, because they have no one else who can play his minutes. It has nothing to do with Gaudreau or his ability as an elite winger. It has everything to do with the fact that we have no replacement for Couturier, while we do happen to have our own 102 point LW....

YoureAllTaxCheats

Feb 21, 2018
I'm not sure we need a centre. I like Couturier, but this trade isn't necessary. Would rather hold onto Gaudreau over Couturier anyways. Simmonds by himself, on the other hand...

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I might be bias because Gaudreau is my favorite player in the league, but:
Gaudreau + small add is worth simmonds+couturier, TJ is a big add

Did you really look at Couturier's stats last season? He put up almost as much points, was a +34, a 53% faceoff winner and a terrific defensive force too. Given the positional importance of center you can easily make the case that Couturier is at least just as valuable as Gaudreau (I'm a fan of neither team so I don't have a dog in this fight).

These are two terrific hockey players who should not be thought of as anything else but equals.

Reactions: phlocky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad