GDT: Calgary Flames @ Vegas Golden Nuts - 8:30 MT (Boo) - SN1, SNW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
We are absolutely at serious risk of missing the playoffs at this point.
If we go .500 or less over our next 6 games, I think you can call it.

We've been linked to a lot of players recently but the way things are going, I think Treliving stands pat. I don't think he'd risk depleting the farm on what might be a lost season.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think you got that part correct except it's more of mentally accept that this season is a waste. Do you really trust this team can win when it really counts? They have not done so all season...not going to happen now, especially with a backup (bad) goalie.
I am shocked to hear you say this. Shocked! I'd completely forgotten that none of the Flames' wins this year actually counted.

Definitely need Smith back, I think, and a good add at the deadline would be nice- seems like a seller's market, so I doubt we do nothing. I've never really found there to be any kind of advantage to making inane declarations about the season being over. Didn't carry any weight in 2015, and doesn't carry much weight now either. I guess it's a mechanism to try to shield oneself from disappointment? But I always have gotten the feeling that the people who make these sort of declarations seem a lot more miserable than me anyway when it comes to Flames hockey, so it seems pointless to me. :dunno:

JGaudreau

Oct 9, 2015
I am shocked to hear you say this. Shocked! I'd completely forgotten that none of the Flames' wins this year actually counted.

Definitely need Smith back, I think, and a good add at the deadline would be nice- seems like a seller's market, so I doubt we do nothing. I've never really found there to be any kind of advantage to making inane declarations about the season being over. Didn't carry any weight in 2015, and doesn't carry much weight now either. I guess it's a mechanism to try to shield oneself from disappointment? But I always have gotten the feeling that the people who make these sort of declarations seem a lot more miserable than me anyway when it comes to Flames hockey, so it seems pointless to me. :dunno:
Some armchair psychology right there. I'm right and you're miserable, wow...

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Some armchair psychology right there. I'm right and you're miserable, wow...

I could be wrong, but I get a distinctly miserable vibe from the guys on this board who only post negative comments. Selection bias definitely would have a lot to do with that, sure, but is that all? I don't think so.

But no, I never said anything about being "right." I wasn't positing anything subjective anyway. I was just saying that intentionally falsely underestimating probabilities of success doesn't seem to have any kind of point, to me.

Reactions: Janks

JGaudreau

Oct 9, 2015
I could be wrong, but I get a distinctly miserable vibe from the guys on this board who only post negative comments. Selection bias definitely would have a lot to do with that, sure, but is that all? I don't think so.

But no, I never said anything about being "right." I wasn't positing anything subjective anyway. I was just saying that intentionally falsely underestimating probabilities of success doesn't seem to have any kind of point, to me.
Selection bias that we aren't in a playoff spot? That we lost 3 in a row? That we have no draft picks? That our coach gives our worst player an A? That we have a losing home record? That we have a dismal +/- and have been scored on 10 more times than we've scored? That our highest ever draft pick is regressing?

What exactly here is "selection bias"? The Flames are skirting the line between barely making the playoffs and being in deep trouble for a long time, but if you want to call that selection bias go ahead. You're decent at rhetoric, but I've seen better.

I appreciate your optimism, but don't act superior to everyone that tries to analyze things without such rose colored glasses. A losing home record and -10 in the +/- should be alarming to anyone no matter how you look at it.

Last edited:

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I didn't hear it myself but it was posted elsewhere, apparently after the loss Stajan said, "If we could have fans like this at home....”

Vegas' record at home is 23-5-2 and the Flames' is 13-14-4. Maybe you don't play dogshit hockey on home ice so our fans have something to cheer for. Wow, an exciting game where we have been shut out at home for the 9th game this season, better start cheering more so some millionaires can get some emotion and show up for their job.

Better tell let Gulutzan know that the team "didn't show up tonight [for the 37th time this year]".

Let the season be over with already and get GG and his staff the hell out of Calgary and get Brouwer, Stajan, Lazar, Hathaway, Stone, off this team as well.

And f*** the US.

Reactions: Cyrano

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Treliving, where’s our 2019 1st going - to buffalo for Kyle okposo?

Don’t forget to protect it; I’m sure you will; can’t be that stupid

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Selection bias that we aren't in a playoff spot? That we lost 3 in a row? That we have no draft picks? That our coach gives our worst player an A? That we have a losing home record? That we have a dismal +/- and have been scored on 10 more times than we've scored? That our highest ever draft pick is regressing?

What exactly here is "selection bias"? The Flames are skirting the line between barely making the playoffs and being in deep trouble for a long time, but if you want to call that selection bias go ahead. You're decent at rhetoric, but I've seen better.

I appreciate your optimism, but don't act superior to everyone that tries to analyze things without such rose colored glasses. A losing home record and -10 in the +/- should be alarming to anyone no matter how you look at it.

I'm not being optimistic. I'm just saying not to be unnecessarily pessimistic. All of those negative things you say are valid concerns. Summed up, they do not equal "the season is a waste." They equal the Flames not being where they want to be right now. The season still has a lot in the balance. All of the teams that we're in a race with have spent time behind us in the standings recently. All of their fanbases would have had these same rants. Yet there will be two of these teams that go on to make it. And possibly some may go deep in the playoffs.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I didn't hear it myself but it was posted elsewhere, apparently after the loss Stajan said, "If we could have fans like this at home....”

Vegas' record at home is 23-5-2 and the Flames' is 13-14-4. Maybe you don't play dog**** hockey on home ice so our fans have something to cheer for. Wow, an exciting game where we have been shut out at home for the 9th game this season, better start cheering more so some millionaires can get some emotion and show up for their job.

Better tell let Gulutzan know that the team "didn't show up tonight [for the 37th time this year]".

Let the season be over with already and get GG and his staff the hell out of Calgary and get Brouwer, Stajan, Lazar, Hathaway, Stone, off this team as well.

And **** the US.

What does your last sentence have to do with anything lol?

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Things looking bleak. All I see really happening is maybe Stajan going at the deadline. Would love to get a 3rd from somebody. Because they need some fresh legs.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Two things that hold this team back:

Garbage, eakins-esque coaches

The core is full of soft nice guys, with the exception of Gio/Chucky theres zero sandpaper in their game, no "do whatever it takes to win" heart, no nothing. Just vanilla players.

Reactions: Flames 1st pick

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Two things that hold this team back:

Garbage, eakins-esque coaches

The core is full of soft nice guys, with the exception of Gio/Chucky theres zero sandpaper in their game, no "do whatever it takes to win" heart, no nothing. Just vanilla players.

There is literally nothing similar between Gulutzan and Eakins

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
There’s no better way to build a rookie goalies confidence than to leave him in for a 7 goal shelling when it’s clearly not his night

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
There’s no better way to build a rookie goalies confidence than to leave him in for a 7 goal shelling when it’s clearly not his night

Rittich was in a lose-lose situation no matter what. Either get pulled for the 2nd time in 3 games or finish the game like he did.

Wouldn't have made sense for the Flames to pull him considering Gillies is 99% likely to start tomorrow against Arizona

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
I'm coming off such a high sporting moment with my favorite Eagles winning the Superbowl for the first time, and now I'm hitting a low with my beloved Flames floundering. I thought maybe Gaudreau would go beast mode after his Eagles won. Still hoping that happens but last night he was -3 with no shots. Ovechkin just went shotless for the first time in his career the other night. Gaudreau should be getting minimum of 5 shots on goal a game.
Anyways, let's beat up on Arizona tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad