Calgary Flames Biggest Game in Franchise History

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Welcome back to Last Word on Hockey’s summer series where we look at the biggest game in team history. Each day we will be back with a new team to look at. Looking at things like the lead-up, what happened, followed, and why it makes it the biggest game. The biggest game does not automatically mean a win, either. Sometimes, it can be a loss that set the franchise back massively. Sit back and enjoy as we break down all 31 team’s most important game. This is the Calgary Flames biggest game in franchise history. The full series is found here.
Calgary Flames Biggest Game in Franchise History

The Calgary Flames moved from Atlanta in 1980 and were immediately embraced by the city. Calgary did have a WHA team in the Cowboys, but they didn’t really get off the ground. Cliff Fletcher started the makings of a winner in the mid-1980s and culmination was Game 6 of the 1989 Stanley Cup Final.

Calgary Flames Biggest Game in Franchise History - Last Word on Hockey

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
****Patty Marleau

That game is key for me. Go down 3-0 early in a playoff game against SJ, Kipper gets pulled, Cujo goes in. Sarich absolutely levels Marleau with a clean hit. They jump him and take an instigator. We get a PP goal and that starts the comeback to win 4-3. One of my favorite Flames games of all time.

Reactions: crackdown44

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
The game selected is probably correct but the write up is horrid. Other Games that could have been considered Game 7 in Vancouver, Detroit, and San Jose in 2004 or Game 7 Of the Oilers Flames series in 86. (Steve Smith Goal)

In regards to the writing quality of the article it sucks. There is absolutely no depth to the article. Where is the Celebration on the plane afterwords with MacDonald at the helm... Or that the Flames were the only NHL team other than the Canadiens to clinch on Forum ice.

Nothing really about Nieuwendyk Gilmour, MacInnis, Fleury, or Vernon. Nothing about the trades moving guys out after.... Or better yet the vibe around the city. Many Flames fans don't know how feverish it was.

Last edited:

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
The biggest game in history was when the Flames and Canucks had a line brawl.

l8ALQKX.gif

"The first game of every season." -no Flames player ever

"Every game is an important game. The teams are so good in this league. We just gotta go out there, get more pucks the the net, play a full 60 minutes, and try and get those 2 points." - every player ever

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Game 6 of the 2004 SCF for me.

The controversy surrounding the puck going in (it did go in), which likely would have lead to one of the best Cinderella story championships.

Actually... I don't wanna talk about it. :cry:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad