Calgary Flames 2014 Draft Thread Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
You're mental and haven't seen him play. He's got the size, IQ, stregnth. His skill is there also. Reminds me a little of Monahan. At least 10 game tryout.

Monahan is consistent as hell, draisatl can dissapear for games at a time. why would you want him playing in the nhl right away? Much better to be in the dub for another year.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Monahan is consistent as hell, draisatl can dissapear for games at a time. why would you want him playing in the nhl right away? Much better to be in the dub for another year.

We're rebuilding and that's how they learn. He obviously not going to be our best player right away. You're the first person I've seen say he's not ready. THN, FC, NHL.com, CG.com, draft site, my NHL draft

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
We're rebuilding and that's how they learn. He obviously not going to be our best player right away. You're the first person I've seen say he's not ready. THN, FC, NHL.com, CG.com, draft site, my NHL draft

KGL, you state your opinions on prospects in particular as facts, it doesn't work that way. The only player I think that is guaranteed to play next year is Ekblad. It's great that you are watching and reading so much about next years draftees, but honestly no one on this planet can say for certain how each player is going to turn out. You say it as if their future has already been written. You would be better off to state, I think it's likely player X has this type of ceiling.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
It's very likely that Draisaitl is a NHL player next year, almost always rebuilding teams start their top pick. MacKinnon, Barkov, Jones, Lindholm, Monahan. 5/6. His cieling is a Joe Thorton/Anze Kopitar combo. Most likely to be a 70 point player that has a great two way game and a good playmaker. Someone like Mike Richards. I have 1 friend who's a NHL scout and another one who's a writer/scout for FC. THey both say Draisaitl should be in the NHL next year.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
I don't think playing in the nhl as a 19 yr old is the ideal route for most prospects. Draisatl is a high ceiling player who would probably benefit from being the go to guy getting tons of minutes in the WHL. Maybe draisatl wouldn't look too out of place in a 9 game trail but I don't think playing a full NHL season is best for him.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
I don't think playing in the nhl as a 19 yr old is the ideal route for most prospects. Draisatl is a high ceiling player who would probably benefit from being the go to guy getting tons of minutes in the WHL. Maybe draisatl wouldn't look too out of place in a 9 game trail but I don't think playing a full NHL season is best for him.

That's what most people thought before the season about Lindholm and Monahan. He needs to be in the NHL next year. The Flames are re-building and this is what you do when your re-building. Give spots to your prospects

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
That's what most people thought before the season about Lindholm and Monahan. He needs to be in the NHL next year. The Flames are re-building and this is what you do when your re-building. Give spots to your prospects

Providing they're ready. You won't ruin a prospect by sending them back to Jr's, you can by rushing them. Last year was a special draft, typically we don't see that many prospects make that jump in the first year.

You won't know about Leon until he gets a NHL training camp in.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I've probably seen Draisaitl play live the most on this thread... PA comes to Moose Jaw quite often, and i've also made the small hike up to PA to attend a few games (to watch Klimchuk). I'm not patting my back, but I feel like I have a some what informed opinion on this matter.

Draisaitl could absolutely play in the NHL next year with his IQ and frame. The kid has 15 - 20lbs more muscle than Monahan had at the start of his season, and is one inch shorter. Saying that, I do agree with some posters that spending another year at PA could/probably would be more beneficial for his game and development. Let him dominate and get big minutes in PA. Let him get another shot at representing his country at the WJC. Let him iron out any kinks in his game in the WHL instead of the pressure of the NHL.

Draisaitl has all the tools to be a #1C in the NHL, so if we were to draft him, i'd hope they don't rush him. Only play him in the NHL next year if it's an absolute no-brainer he's read for the bigs.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Providing they're ready. You won't ruin a prospect by sending them back to Jr's, you can by rushing them. Last year was a special draft, typically we don't see that many prospects make that jump in the first year.

You won't know about Leon until he gets a NHL training camp in.

This post sums it up perfectly. :nod:

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I've probably seen Draisaitl play live the most on this thread... PA comes to Moose Jaw quite often, and i've also made the small hike up to PA to attend a few games (to watch Klimchuk). I'm not patting my back, but I feel like I have a some what informed opinion on this matter.

Draisaitl could absolutely play in the NHL next year with his IQ and frame. The kid has 15 - 20lbs more muscle than Monahan had at the start of his season, and is one inch shorter. Saying that, I do agree with some posters that spending another year at PA could/probably would be more beneficial for his game and development. Let him dominate and get big minutes in PA. Let him get another shot at representing his country at the WJC. Let him iron out any kinks in his game in the WHL instead of the pressure of the NHL.

Draisaitl has all the tools to be a #1C in the NHL, so if we were to draft him, i'd hope they don't rush him. Only play him in the NHL next year if it's an absolute no-brainer he's read for the bigs.

Draisaitl has the physical tools to play in the NHL right away. He's got the size and appears to have the strength to match up against fully grown men. I don't think that's much of an issue. He's certainly got the brains for it. That's part of what makes him such a great player. So I think he's got the ability to play in the NHL next year.

But would it best serve his development playing in the NHL, if hypothetically the Flames were to draft him? I'm not sure.

I'm of the mind that playing in the WJC would be mostly useless. He's already done it for two years and he's basically his teams best player by a mile. What's he going to learn by playing there again? I can't really see much for him in the short tourney. Any advantage he'll gain by playing against better players will be mitigated by the loss of playing with any good players.

Does it make sense to put him back in the WHL again to dominate the game? Usually the players that go back aren't physically ready to play in the NHL and need to go back for another year of physical development and learning how to match that up with the skillset they have. That won't be much of an issue for the guy, he's already at a place where he's going to physically dominant almost anyone in the league, and his skillset is high end already.

The biggest thing for me, is that he's already dominating the league. He's basically got no one on his team but Morrisey, and he's lighting the league up. He's on pace for a better season than RNH had in his draft year. How much more could he possibly learn from playing another year with very little talent? He's pretty much carrying PA on his back already, and he's dragging them to a playoff spot and really only getting help from Morrisey. Does going back for another year serve him at all?

Maybe it would help him work on skating, defensive play and faceoffs but I'd be concerned that he's already so much bigger physically that he'd develop bad habits.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto

You've persuaded me to the other way a little. But we have to wait till training camp. I watch a lot of CHL games and watch Draisaitl a lot. He could easily be a NHL player with is strong IQ, size, strength, shot and 200 ft game. I think we should wait and if he's does well then keep him up. But I'd definatly send him to WJC. Monahan should've gone

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
For Leon, and with any prospect, you need to see how they stack up against NHL players before you can accurately say they should be playing in the NHL or back in Jr's. I'd be all for whoever we draft playing for us next year providing they are ready. Draisaitl may very be ready to play next and he probably will play, but he needs to get a full camp in first before he gets the green light. Physically I don't think there's any question he's ready.

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
I wonder who is going to fall out of the first round and into the lap of our early second rounder. I could see McKeown falling that far or Vrana. If we grab one of those guys along with our potential top five pick I could see us having an excellent draft. I would prefer Karlsson or Bleackely to fall that far, but I doubt they will due to their size and skill. McKeown and Vrana have had a rough year, but I think they have the tools to bounce back next year.

Past our late second I doubt we'll acquire any useful pieces and I don't think they'll be able to trade up for a late 1st (or trade any of our current players for a late first).

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Here's what I'd like to see on draft day:

Trade 1st round pick (5th overall) and 3rd round pick (from Pittsburgh, 83rd overall) to Anaheim for 9th overall pick (from Ottawa) and ~28th overall pick (Anaheim's pick) Why? Still rebuilding, yo - need to fill the cupboards, and I don't think we get a fantastic prospect with the 5th pick. Ducks do it to get a higher pick in this draft and are in a better position to take a chance.

First and second choice picks at each draft position in the first three rounds:

9th - 1) Haydn Fleury, D, Red Deer (WHL) 2) Nick Ritchie, RW, Peterborough (OHL)

28th - 1) Alex Tuch, RW, USNTDP (USHL) 2) Jakub Vrana, RW, Linkoping, (SWE)

35th - 1) Adrian Kempe, C, MoDo U-20 (SWE) 2) Josh Ho-Sang, C, Windsor (OHL)

53rd - 1) Thatcher Demko, G, Boston College (NCAA) 2) Ryan MacInnis, LW, Kitchener (OHL)

65th - 1) Ryan Mantha, D, Indiana (USHL) 2) Keegan Iverson, RW, Portland (WHL)

For arguments sake, here's my personal top ten ranking as of right now:

1. Ekblad
2. Reinhart
3. Bennett
4. Draisatl
5. Dal Colle
6. Perlini
7. Fleury
8. Kapanen
9. Ritchie
10. Nylander

To the question in the post above me, I could definitely see Vrana fall to the early 2nd round.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Trade 1st round pick (5th overall) and 3rd round pick (from Pittsburgh, 83rd overall) to Anaheim for 9th overall pick (from Ottawa) and ~28th overall pick (Anaheim's pick) Why? Still rebuilding, yo - need to fill the cupboards, and I don't think we get a fantastic prospect with the 5th pick. Ducks do it to get a higher pick in this draft and are in a better position to take a chance.

9th - 1) Haydn Fleury, D, Red Deer (WHL) 2) Nick Ritchie, RW, Peterborough (OHL)

53rd - 1) Thatcher Demko, G, Boston College (NCAA) 2) Ryan MacInnis, LW, Kitchener (OHL)

1. Ekblad
2. Reinhart
3. Bennett
4. Draisatl
5. Dal Colle
6. Perlini
7. Fleury
8. Kapanen
9. Ritchie
10. Nylander

I think moving from 9th to 5th would be robbery if the price was just a 28th overall pick. I feel like that kind of a move up so close to the top of the board carries a lot more value. I could be wrong, though.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Say no to moving down...

If we are picking in the top 5 we're getting a good/special player! I believe all of Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennett, Dal Colle, and Draisaitl will be top6 forwards (or D).

6 - 10 gets a little muddy, but still has quality in Virtanen, Fleury, Ritchie, etc.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Question:

I know it's far away, but what time does the 1st round start on June 27th?

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto

1. Ekblad
2. Reinhart
3. Bennett
4. Draisatl
5. Dal Colle
6. Perlini
7. Fleury
8. Kapanen
9. Ritchie
10. Nylander

To the question in the post above me, I could definitely see Vrana fall to the early 2nd round.

I wouldn't make that deal to trade down and based on the FC and ISS rankings this month Ritchie and Fleury would be off the board. Ho-Sang would also be off the board at 35th. Also Demko will be a 1st rounder or high 2nd. Love Mantha

Here's my mock draft

a couple quick notes
•since in the NYI GDT poll most people said Isles would get higher pick so the Flames will pick 5th overall
•I'll use FC rankings. Can't pick anyone before that pick. The top 30 is a bit above
•I traded T.J Galiardi for a 4th
•I'll give also if we traded 2nds/3rd for late 1st who I'd pick
Let's start

5th. LEON DRAISAITL C, PRINCE ALBERT WHL
52-26-52-78-20 (GP-G-A-PTS-PIM this year)•6"2, 210 lbs
Draisaitl is an elite two way Centre who's been compared to Joe Thorton and Anze Kopitar. He make the players around him so much better. His awareness and anticipation are at a NHL level. His backhand is the best in the draft. He competes hard and will be in the NHL next year
Option 2: Nick Ritchie

25th. CONNOR BLEACKLEY C, RED DEER WHL
60-26-37-63-43•6"1, 195 lbs
Connor is a trong skater, hard to push off the puck. He uses a combo of size, strength and speed. A very good 200 ft player. Has quick hands. Hard ahot with quick release. Very good at finding open spaces and getting between/behind the defence
Option 2-Anton Karlsson

35th. JACK DOUGHERTY D, USHL
16-4-7-11-14•6"1, 185 lbs
Heading to the U of Wisconsin in 2014/2015 Dougherty is a very smart defenceman. He's quick on skates and knows when to join the rush yet can throw his wait around with a huge hit. Finds lanes on PP and has a strong first breakout pass.
Option 2-Jayce Hawluryuk

54th. MATT MISTELE LW, PLYMOUTH OHL
50-15-18-32-48•6"2, 183 lbs
Big, chippy player that scores around the net. Plays a 200 ft game. Crashes the net hard. Good hand eye. Play on PP and PK. Very effectivly screens goalie. Works hard on and off the ice. Has some offensive upside. One of the best shots in the draft. Typical Burke player.
Option 2-Ben Thomas

65th. JACOB MIDDELTON D, OTTAWA OHL
59-2-20-22-62•6"4, 191 lbs
Good 2 way Dman. Primarily offensive. Can QB the PP. Makes good stretch passes out of the zone. Good offensive vision. Throws his body around. Plus Monahan gets a friend in the locker room
Option 2-Keegan Iverson

86. RYAN MANTHA D, USHL
12-2-2-4-6•6"4, 215 lbs
Great size. Uses it well with long reach. Clears front of the net. Good offensive skill. Good breakout passes, would play on PP on wing. Has to improve mobility and strength. If he does that he'll be a real steal and will be a top 4 Dman

104. C.J FRANKLAND RW, USHL
44-16-27-43-33•5"11, 190 lbs
Franklin is a complete player. Has speed and a nice shot. He's very athletic. Very consistent

179. NOLAN STEVENS C, USHL
18-3-5-8-6•6"3, 183 lbs
Very creative, quick stickhandler. Good passing. Best asset is IQ and work ethic. Not afraid to get dirty

185. SEBATION FUCHS LW, NAHL
39-8-18-26-12•5"10, 170 lbs
Very fast, knows where th puck is going. Soft hands. Long term project

UNDRAFTED FA'S
Duncan MacIntyre D, Quebec QMJHL
Linden Penner RW, Everett WHL
Nikki Petti C, Bellville OHL

And my top 10
1. Ekblad
2. Reinhart
3. Bennett
4. Draisaitl