Proposal: Calgary/Det

razor ray

May 8, 2011
IF Mike Smith is out for an extended period as his injury looked ugly.

To Calgary:
PM with retention

To Detroit:
David Richt or Tyler Parsons

The Flames mortgaged the future with all their draft picks traded away. They are in win right now mode. Also, if they do not make the playoffs the NYI still receives their 1st round pick unprotected.

Flames get a win now goalie and still keep 2 of their 3 good goalie prospects. Det gets a good prospect for the future.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I don't see why the Flamers or any other team would give up anything for either of our inconsistent goalies.
Sure, I love Mrazek's potential, but he has shit the bed repeatedly when given the chance to establish himself as a legitimate number one goalie in the league. The Smith injury looks scary for them if it is serious, but I'm not sure why they would take a flyer on Mrazek rather than ride Rittich. Mrazek has gotten his numbers to a respectable level this season, thanks to his great play the last few weeks, but I'm not sure a franchise would want to bank their playoff hopes on Petr the goalie considering his wild inconsistencies the last few seasons.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Make it a bigger deal. Nyquist + Mrazek for Gillies + 2nd. No salary retention.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Looks like teams are calling on Dekeyser too. Would love to get rid of that contract. Could allow us to bring green back in the off-season after reading him at the deadline.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Since Rittich has been pretty good at the NHL level so far, I doubt the Flames would want to give him up to bring in a goalie that has been wildly inconsistent if Smith is down longterm.

Parsons ECHL numbers don't look great, so I don't think he's enough by himself, especially if the Wings are retaining on Mrazek.

Gillies makes more sense, because the Wings could use a goalie that is closer to being NHL ready since Coreau/McCollum don't appear to have much of an NHL future, Machovsky is a question mark, and every other goalie in their system isn't in the pro ranks yet.

That said, if the Wings retain on Mrazek in a deal for Gillies, the Flames probably have to sweeten the deal with a draft pick (could be conditional).

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Trading Danny D would be pretty neat unless he decides he wants a mullet again. Then he will be useful

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
IF Mike Smith is out for an extended period as his injury looked ugly.

To Calgary:
PM with retention

To Detroit:
David Richt or Tyler Parsons

The Flames mortgaged the future with all their draft picks traded away. They are in win right now mode. Also, if they do not make the playoffs the NYI still receives their 1st round pick unprotected.

Flames get a win now goalie and still keep 2 of their 3 good goalie prospects. Det gets a good prospect for the future.

I'll give you Jimmy Howard for a 4th and Parsons. And retain $2M.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I wouldn't trade Dekeyser unless I was getting a huge return.
He's still somewhat young. He can skate and has size. He's the kind of guy who eats minutes and looks good on a good team, but eats minutes and looks awful on an awful team.

I’d trade him for literally anything if I didn’t have to retain salary, just to hop out from under that contract, but I doubt very much that he actually has positive trade value.

Reactions: jkutswings

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I’d trade him for literally anything if I didn’t have to retain salary, just to hop out from under that contract, but I doubt very much that he actually has positive trade value.

That's how I feel about Helm, Nielsen and Abdelkader.
But Dekeyser is 27 and fits the "new NHL" model. He's overpaid. But his contract ends when he's 31 - and not 35 or 37 or 38.
I think he helps stabilize the defense over the next few years.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That's how I feel about Helm, Nielsen and Abdelkader.
But Dekeyser is 27 and fits the "new NHL" model. He's overpaid. But his contract ends when he's 31 - and not 35 or 37 or 38.
I think he helps stabilize the defense over the next few years.

I like Abdelkader way more than Dekeyser. At least Abdelkader gives you something physically. Dekeyser loses battles and is garbage offensively. He's a warm body that skates decent.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
The starting price for defensemen hitting free agency in their prime these days is over $4 million and it's only going up (see: Brendan Smith). I'm not defending the contract, but in another year or two he'll likely be attractive to teams. I think he could do much better on a better team, like St. Louis, for example.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I like Abdelkader way more than Dekeyser. At least Abdelkader gives you something physically. Dekeyser loses battles and is garbage offensively. He's a warm body that skates decent.

But Abdelkader is signed until he's old and broken. Dekeyser should continue to increase in value against a rising cap.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The starting price for defensemen hitting free agency in their prime these days is over $4 million and it's only going up (see: Brendan Smith). I'm not defending the contract, but in another year or two he'll likely be attractive to teams. I think he could do much better on a better team, like St. Louis, for example.
I agree that his salary is far from out of line for decent NHL defensemen.

I just think he's several rungs on the ladder beneath any notion of being a decent NHL defenseman.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

I just think he's several rungs on the ladder beneath any notion of being a decent NHL defenseman.
No doubt. If a team is willing to give Brendan Smith a 4-year deal at $4.35M, there will be teams that want DeKeyser with only 2 or 3 years left on his deal at $5M.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Even if you consider him purely decent or average, the question has to be if we want his skill set at that price. I think the issue in dealing him is taking the risk that we might not be able to replace him with who we might want. I figure if we're dealing Dekeyser it's to go after someone like Carlson or, at "worst," De Haan or John Moore. I don't think we move Dekeyser with the expectation to either stand pat or sign Dan Hamhuis.

Have to think for that reason alone Dekeyser wouldn't be moved until the summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad