Prospect Info: Caleb Jones

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
I was just taking a look at Caleb and Seth and noticed that Caleb had a better year for Portland than Seth did.

Seth Jones played one year in the dub

He played 61 games, had 14 goals, 42 assists and 56 points.

Caleb played two years with the Winter Hawks and this season put up better numbers.

He played 63 games, had 9 goals, 53 assists and 64 points.

Did we get a steal here? Will Caleb be as good as Seth one day?

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I was just taking a look at Caleb and Seth and noticed that Caleb had a better year for Portland than Seth did.

Caleb played two years with the Winter Hawks and this season put up better numbers.

umm Seth Jones 2 yrs removed from his draft already had 150NHL games and 50+ points under his belt.

Caleb joined Portland after he was drafted.

Seth also has 3 inches and 30lbs on his brother.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
umm Seth Jones 2 yrs removed from his draft already had 150NHL games and 50+ points under his belt.

Caleb joined Portland after he was drafted.

Seth also has 3 inches and 30lbs on his brother.

All very true statements and a good dose of reality. Seth was always a stud, is always going to be a stud, there's a reason for his hype and draft placement.
Caleb does not have the explosive tools of his brother. That being said, he's performed very well at every level, and this season in the A will go a long way to get a picture for what he could bring to the NHL. If he can be develop into a solid, mobile top-four defender who puts up 30 points a season in his prime, that's about all you can ask from a fourth round pick.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
All very true statements and a good dose of reality. Seth was always a stud, is always going to be a stud, there's a reason for his hype and draft placement.
Caleb does not have the explosive tools of his brother. That being said, he's performed very well at every level, and this season in the A will go a long way to get a picture for what he could bring to the NHL. If he can be develop into a solid, mobile top-four defender who puts up 30 points a season in his prime, that's about all you can ask from a fourth round pick.

I thought Caleb Jones was a surprise at the WJC last year... Very impressive actually and he got leaned on for a ton of minutes. He's the kind of guy that with a couple years, could really improve. I always think of the NCAA guys coming out at 22-23 years old.... how much more ready they are for the jump to pro hockey, and use that age as a better gauge of how ready a player is. Give Caleb Jones a year or two in the AHL and he might be something... don't rush him though.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009

I guess I'm in the minority believing that defence comes first and offensive numbers are secondary. Some posters tout the offensive stats as if that's the indication of a guy's tools and potential.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015

Jones 1st year in the Dub he was 18years old put up 56 points . That team was a huge powerhouse with 3 players with 100pts +and another dman named Pouliot, Caleb 1st season also 18 had one less point than Seth had at 55 and top scorer had 70 Pts

Last edited:

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I guess I'm in the minority believing that defence comes first and offensive numbers are secondary. Some posters tout the offensive stats as if that's the indication of a guy's tools and potential.

Offensive stats do end up leading to a higher chance of turning into an NHL player though. It's the same with forwards.

Offense isn't the first thing you look at when you're trying to figure out if a defenseman will make the show, but the reality is that players with offensive numbers are more likely to make it to the NHL.

Kris Russell put up 32 goals in his last season in the WHL.

Vlasic put up 73 points in his last season in junior.

Braun put up 31 points in 36 games in his last university year.

Putting up gawdy offensive numbers might not mean they'll be good NHL defensemen, but it does afford these young men more chances to make it in the league and potentially develop into better defensemen.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Lol, it kind of is

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary

For us yeah we need someone in back to rifle the puck consistently we don't have a player that necessarily can do that. We already have great Defensive d-men in guys like Larsson and Nurse we need some to be the PP-QB a Defenseman who can put up 50 points without being a liability in his own zone. Klef could become that but his upside is uncertain.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Would be awesome if he could make a case don't think anyone saw Benning on our lineup either last year.

As things stand right this second:

Klefbom-Russell
Nurse-Larsson
Jones-Benning
Gryba

Wouldn't stun me on opening night. I'd hope we plan to look hard at a Del Zotto or Daley on a one year deal, though.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

No he can't. You are getting a head of yourself.

Main flaw?

Your entire argument is based on numbers. With d that is a dangerous starting point

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary

Klefbom-Russell
Nurse-Larsson
Jones-Benning
Gryba

Wouldn't stun me on opening night. I'd hope we plan to look hard at a Del Zotto or Daley on a one year deal, though.

Wouldn't see the incentive for Daley he has already won 2 cups bet all he cares about is getting a good contract which means one year is a no go Del Zotto is more likely if we do go that route.

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
No he can't. You are getting a head of yourself.

Main flaw?

Your entire argument is based on numbers. With d that is a dangerous starting point

That is fairly true I don't watch the WHL so I can't testify how Caleb does from a visual standpoint but we do need more offensive D-man so the numbers are definitely encouraging.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

If you don't produce in juniors, then chances are you don't process the game fast enough or have the puck skills and passing required to play in the NHL. That's why offensive numbers are really important. If you're gonna draft a defensive defenseman in juniors, then that guy better have really good skating/mobility and a good first pass.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Klefbom-Russell
Nurse-Larsson
Jones-Benning
Gryba

Yep. With Sekera out, Jones has a great opportunity to nab that 3rd pairing spot on the left side. But yeah, I'd prefer signing a guy like Del Zotto for sure, but he might be looking for more money and term than Chia is comfortable with.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I'm kinda scared of starting the year with that many young d-men and if anything I think it would be Bear that could start the year on the Oilers and surely be sent down as soon as Sekera comes back. Heck as soon as he puts on that oilers' jersey makes him understand that he's an injury replacement for this season.

Klefbom-Larson
Russel-Benning
Nurse-Bear

Jones showed he could produce 5 on 5 last year, while Bear proved himself to be more of a PP catalyst. I think we could make better use of the later by letting Benning and Bear split minutes on the 2nd PP unit. Maybe Benning gets minutes on the 1st unit while Sekera is out.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yep. With Sekera out, Jones has a great opportunity to nab that 3rd pairing spot on the left side. But yeah, I'd prefer signing a guy like Del Zotto for sure, but he might be looking for more money and term than Chia is comfortable with.

Teams usually like to have a young D up if they feel it's time. A move like that can help development a lot, and for a short term role like the Sekera injury it makes some sense. That depends on someone like Benning or Nurse stepping up to the 2nd line though, and that might be the real factor that determines if we add someone green for the bottom pairing. We can't shelter two pairings.

I'd guess that Vegas will have a few tradeable D left during the training camp period. I would be okay with holding off and seeing how camp goes, and if the D doesn't look ready, then pull the trigger and get someone from them.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
After seeing how Charlie McAvoy transitioned to the NHL at the end of the season I can't help but feel Jones is going to make a very strong push in camp. He might not break camp with the team, but I'm fairly confident he'll get some NHL games next season.

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
After seeing how Charlie McAvoy transitioned to the NHL at the end of the season I can't help but feel Jones is going to make a very strong push in camp. He might not break camp with the team, but I'm fairly confident he'll get some NHL games next season.

Wouldn't mind seeing him at the start of the season playing a stop gap role for Sekera in his absence. Not with the minutes he had, but a little line shuffling and:

Klefbom-Larsson
Russel-Nurse
Benning-Jones

Move around the bottom 4 as needed. I'd much rather see Jones stepping in over Bear.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
That is fairly true I don't watch the WHL so I can't testify how Caleb does from a visual standpoint but we do need more offensive D-man so the numbers are definitely encouraging.

With Dmen. Goals.assists.points tell only part of the story. Can he play 25 minutes in all situations? How is he in his own zone. The other jones is a monster in all zones

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
With Dmen. Goals.assists.points tell only part of the story. Can he play 25 minutes in all situations? How is he in his own zone. The other jones is a monster in all zones

So was Jones JR. He is a trending in the same direction. That kid was a stud this year on the American team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->