Calder Watch & Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Boeser just scored on an absolutely goal of the year candidate, end to end rush deaking through 3 people, and going between his legs top corner for his 28th wow!

Video posted shortly

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Another goal for Nico as he has not only found his second wind, he seems to have found his scoring confidence and is shooting more.

His ES scoring this season has been extremely impressive. If the special team points were there he would be top 3 in rookie scoring.

He's actually 3rd in ES scoring. Here are the ES scoring leaders...

Barzal with 43 Points (12 Goals)
Gourde with 34 Points (15 Goals)
Hischier with 33 Points (12 Goals)
Keller with 31 Points (12 Goals)
Connor with 30 Points (16 Goals)
DeBrincatt with 29 Points (17 Goals)
Heinen with 27 Points (11 Goals)

Reactions: MatthewFlames

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Looks like it's now the second time in a span of 3 games where Boeser's goal was given to someone else. Should have 29 but he remains at 27.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Hischier can’t catch Barzal or Boeser but he could finish 3rd in scoring among rookies after catching his second wind. Has elevated his game during the most important stretch of the season. Could finish top 3 in voting.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Hischier can’t catch Barzal or Boeser but he could finish 3rd in scoring among rookies after catching his second wind. Has elevated his game during the most important stretch of the season. Could finish top 3 in voting.

Still the youngest of the rookie crop, and it is really impressive to see him elevate his game as these games get bigger and more important.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Kyle Connor scores his 20th. Pretty good year for a pretty good rookie.
Now 21 goals in 53 games. A 32-goal pace (prorated to 82 games).

He's not getting any coverage at all and I think some on here are completely unaware of how good he's been. We've seen his name pop up on the trade boards as if he's a throw-in prospect for older less-productive players.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Now 21 goals in 53 games. A 32-goal pace (prorated to 82 games).

He's not getting any coverage at all and I think some on here are completely unaware of how good he's been. We've seen his name pop up on the trade boards as if he's a throw-in prospect for older less-productive players.
don't worry, they will learn his name soon enough!!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I could be wrong but didn't he miss a handful of games to start the season(in the AHL)?

Yes, Connor didn't make the team out of camp. 21 goals for him now on the year. I was a big fan of his in his draft year. Had him at #12 OA. Terrific skater and goal scorer.

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
Really great week for Nico - it's nice seeing the Devils play some competitive hockey these days.

NYI appear to be crapping out a bit, haven't been impressed with Barzal the last few games (granted he has set the standard pretty high).

Despite these latest trends I still see it Barzal / Boeser / Mcavoy / Hirshier / Conner+Keller+Debrin+Heinen

Really hope next year's crop is as strong as this one

Edit: Nico is the Devils' first 'first star of the week' since Langenbrunner back in 2010 - awesome!

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Really great week for Nico - it's nice seeing the Devils play some competitive hockey these days.

NYI appear to be crapping out a bit, haven't been impressed with Barzal the last few games (granted he has set the standard pretty high).

Despite these latest trends I still see it Barzal / Boeser / Mcavoy / Hirshier / Conner+Keller+Debrin+Heinen

Really hope next year's crop is as strong as this one

Edit: Nico is the Devils' first 'first star of the week' since Langenbrunner back in 2010 - awesome!

I was honestly surprised by that stat. Figured someone like Kovy or Parise had to have a weekly 1st since 2010.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
This article (don't know if already posted) is pretty eye opening for Hischier...

Nico Hischier’s Underrated Season

This point is pretty flimsy:

"...and Barzal plummets from an elite +8.38% to a thoroughly mediocre -0.34% away from Eberle"

Barzal's only time away from Eberle was probably his first handful of games when he was adjusting to the NHL. Since Eberle has been on Barzal's line, they've been inseparable.

It seems like the article tries hard to selectively illustrate the advanced stats that favor Nico best, but doesn't necessarily reflect reality in regards to his competitors.

That said, Nico is obviously a very talented rookie with a bright future ahead of him. Barzal and Boeser are still a cut above the pack.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight

"...and Barzal plummets from an elite +8.38% to a thoroughly mediocre -0.34% away from Eberle"

Barzal's only time away from Eberle was probably his first handful of games when he was adjusting to the NHL. Since Eberle has been on Barzal's line, they've been inseparable.

It seems like the article tries hard to selectively illustrate the advanced stats that favor Nico best, but doesn't necessarily reflect reality in regards to his competitors.

That said, Nico is obviously a very talented rookie with a bright future ahead of him. Barzal and Boeser are still a cut above the pack.
Yeah that's a pretty terrible argument. Over 90% of Barzal's 5v5 minutes have come with Eberle on the ice.

Reactions: WangMustGo

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

Barzal, sure. Boeser... Hmmm lots of PP points... He has only 27 points 5vs5... To me only Barzal is a "cut above the pack". The others are right there. McAvoy due to position, huge minutes and how well he is playing, is #2.

To me it's:
1. Barzal
2. McAvoy
3. The pack (Hischier, Boeser, Gourde, Keller, Heinen,Debrincat, Connor,...)

Reactions: MatthewFlames

Britton

Nov 28, 2008
Barzal, sure. Boeser... Hmmm lots of PP points... He has only 27 points 5vs5... To me only Barzal is a "cut above the pack". The others are right there. McAvoy due to position, huge minutes and how well he is playing, is #2.

To me it's:
1. Barzal
2. McAvoy
3. The pack (Hischier, Boeser, Gourde, Keller, Heinen,Debrincat, Connor,...)

Keep in mind Boeser plays on a team that is 27th in even strength goals, while Barzal plays the team with the 3rd most even strength goals and Hischier on the team with the 8th most. It's not really surprising that Boeser is behind the others at even strength. Also Boeser has almost single handedly taken the canucks from the second worst PP, to the 10th best. And on top of that he shouldn't even have been playing these last two weeks, his wrist is so messed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad