Status
Not open for further replies.

Kev88

Co-Founder of LaPasserelle
Nov 30, 2003
Canada
www.lapasserellehockey.com
Luke154 said:
Michael Ryder Took over the rookie points lead tonight he now has 26 points can he win rookie of the year?

if not who in ur opinion will

I think Pitkanen can win it too. He plays great on the PP and in his own zone. But, I'm one of Ryder big fan and I definitely choose him for the calder.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
I'm a fan of Pitkanen and I think he deserve it.

Trent Hunter and Michael Ryder also have a shot to win it. Patrice Bergeron could be a winner as well.

Honorable mention: Eric Staal, Mark Rycroft, Jason King.

Last edited:

Guig

Jun 17, 2003
Qc
I think it will be a great battle. There's good rookie this year. But I think Joni Pitkanen derserve it.

HabsBaby18*

Ryder is 23 years old but we need to remember that he was a 9th round pick ... How many 9th round pick had have a shot (just a shot) at getting the Calder trophy ? Not many.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Luke154 said:
Michael Ryder Took over the rookie points lead tonight he now has 26 points can he win rookie of the year?

if not who in ur opinion will

Of course he can win it. As for who WILL win it, nobody here can say. There's still more than half the season to go.

MattScott

Dempsey said:
Of course he can win it. As for who WILL win it, nobody here can say. There's still more than half the season to go.

I love Ryder and his style of play, but Pitkanen is such a talent, I would predict he'll just keep improving all season and take the trophy. As for the others, Trent Hunter has the best point per game average could do well in voting. As for the top 3 forwards (Ryder, Bergeron, Hunter), It all depends on who gets the most icetime, with the best linemates. Ryder has the fast track in Montreal because of their lack of depth on the right side (he plays on the top line infront of Dagenais, Dackell and Ward). Personally I hope Bergeron flops on his face and gets sent to the minors soon, that Hab hating little SOB. :D

Last edited:

Mike B.

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Don't hold your breath waiting for Bergeron to get sent down. He's the real deal, and he'll step up his production in the second half and win the Calder.

CoolburnIsGone

With half a season left, its really anyone's guess as to who will win it. Some rookies fade after hot starts...some rookies heat up after mid season. Ryder seems like the favorite at the moment with Pitkanen right there. But it also possible for a guy like Staal or Horton or even Zherdev to get hot and really take the honors. I think it might be one of those 3 winning it but that just my gut feeling.

MattScott

Mike B. said:
Don't hold your breath waiting for Bergeron to get sent down. He's the real deal, and he'll step up his production in the second half and win the Calder.

Uhm... Not he won't (win the Calder).

As for him sticking around in the NHL, yeah I'm pretty sure he will, I was just joking around about him being sent down, but I really don't think he's Calder material ;)

leafaholix*

Now...

1. Joni Pitkanen
2. Trent Hunter
3. Michael Ryder

When it's all said and done...

1. Joni Pitkanen
2. Nikolai Zherdev
3. Trent Hunter

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
HUnter IMO will not win it. There are too many guys who are younger and are playing as good as him. Staal IMO will not win it just cause he plays on Carolina. Bergeron also has so many guys around him in Boston like Thorton, Murray, and Knuble. Pitkanen is IMO the frontrunner. Ryder is up there but IMO he will tail off. Of course I'll get roasted for this one, but Nathan Horton has REALLY come on in the past few weeks and IMO will seriously push for the rookie leads in goals and points and will have a shot at it.

Now,

Ryder
Pitkanen
Bergeron
Hunter

In the End

Pitkanen
Horton
Zherdev
Bergeron

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Just a question: why rate Horton better than Staal? I'm not impressed at all by Horton, I would take Staal instaed of him.

CoolburnIsGone

Fighter said:
Just a question: why rate Horton better than Staal? I'm not impressed at all by Horton, I would take Staal instaed of him.
You probably haven't seen Horton very recently. His play is MUCH improved. He's now showing a lot of FL fans why he was so highly thought of. No knock against Staal at all but Horton can change the way the other team plays against FL already and he'll continue to do it for the rest of the season.

IMO, I think both Zherdev & Horton will finish ahead of Staal in the voting. Zherdev really impressed me this last game he played against FL. I was tossed up between Horton & Zherdev right before the draft and now I see why it was so hard (but I'm very happy with Horton in FL).

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
RichPanther said:
You probably haven't seen Horton very recently. His play is MUCH improved.

I amdit that I didn't follow the last few games of Florida. Well, I'm glad to hear that he's finally showing his talent.

About Zherdev I agree with you, I would take him before Staal (and also before Horton :D)

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
I like Hunter to win it. He's scoring goals and leads rookies in points per game...but more importantly, he's an experienced professional level hockey player with prior NHL experience (and thus less likely to have a tail off in terms of the rigours of an 82 game NHL slate) and he plays the kind of solid, hard-working two-way game that lends it self well to not finding oneself in the 'doghouse'...which even the world's most talented youngsters, when still very young and raw, often find themselves in.

Though if Pitkanen contines to play strong, it will be hard not to give it to him.

kacz

Jul 1, 2003
www.youtube.com
Joni Pitkanen in my opinion is the favourite to win the Calder, but I'd say Michael Ryder, Patrice Bergeron and possibly Nikolai Zherdev have a good chance of taking home the hardware too...

Crusher20

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
ryder is on a roll, he is slowly creating a gap from him and Hunter. and I'm aware he as play more games. but playing with Koivu help.

27pts Ryder
25pts Hunter
23pts Bergeron
18pts -----

Habs4Life

Aug 29, 2003
Saint John, NB
How many rookies step into their first season and play on the first line?

Not many.. It would be stupid to think Ryder will not improve...

If you have watched the guy play you know he's tend to get more points in the second half of the season as his play just keeps improving!

leafaholix*

Habs4Life said:
How many rookies step into their first season and play on the first line?
Bergeron, Hunter, or Zherdev could probably play on Montreal's first line.

;)

Kvashinator12

Feb 27, 2002
United States
Visit site
Hunter or Pitkanen

Hunter is my choice. He is the most consistent, scores important goals, and does everything well. Ryder has played more games then Hunter, and Hunter barely gets any PP time at all.

brad1698

I would guess that Hunter takes it...especially if he can continue to produce and ride a winning stretch with the isles like they are on right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad