Calder Trophy 06-07

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Slitty, Mar 19, 2006.

  1. Slitty

    Slitty Registered User

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2005
    Messages:
    3,862
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    96
    Who are the candidates for next year's Calder Trophy, and which rookie do you think will win it?



    Some possibilities of the top of my head and in no particular order, please dont get upset if I am missing anyone:

    Kaigorodov
    Grigorenko
    Zvinovjev
    Schremp
    Woski
    Radulov
    Kessel
    O'Sulivan
    Malkin
    Brule
    Taratukhin
    Johnson
    Some older dominating AHLer like Law, Westrum, Hidler, ect?

    anyone else?
     
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2006
  2. Patty Ice

    Patty Ice Best in the World

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2002
    Messages:
    11,025
    Likes Received:
    100
    Trophy Points:
    186
    Location:
    OxNard
    Thomas Greiss :yo:
     
  3. Bam Beet*

    Bam Beet* Guest

    I think it will be probably Malkin but there might be some good competition from Schremp, Wolski and Jack Johnson.
     
  4. Big McLargehuge

    Big McLargehuge Registered User

    Joined:
    May 9, 2002
    Messages:
    68,832
    Likes Received:
    1,092
    Trophy Points:
    215
    Location:
    S. Pasadena, CA
    1. Malkin
    2. Malkin
    3. Malkin
     
  5. s7ark

    s7ark Bouch

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2003
    Messages:
    27,509
    Likes Received:
    26
    Trophy Points:
    176
    O'Sullivan should be aded to the list

    And my vote goes to Malkin. He has been playing against men for years. He'll step into the NHL with ease.
     
  6. Berkut

    Berkut Registered User

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2004
    Messages:
    1,589
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Montreal
    Malkin at 99%, but Radulov and Grigorenko may have a shot.
     
  7. Chrisd

    Chrisd Registered User

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2005
    Messages:
    1,545
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    malkin
    radulov
    o'sullivan
    wolski
    matt carle

    are my 5 favs.
     
  8. McDonald19

    McDonald19 Marcus Pettersson

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2003
    Messages:
    19,761
    Likes Received:
    327
    Trophy Points:
    154
    Occupation:
    Analyst
    Location:
    California
    Malkin definetly if the Penguins can get him over here.
     
  9. Kritty

    Kritty Registered User

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2002
    Messages:
    2,921
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Home Page:
    Exactly. There is nothing guaranteeing he is gonna be coming over for next season. It's possible, but also not possible at the same time. Either way, I see someone else stepping up next year and producing. A guy like Eric Fehr comes to mind.
     
  10. WILDTATE10

    WILDTATE10 Registered User

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2005
    Messages:
    1,948
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    96
    I think Kessel is going to stay at the UofM for another year.
    Add Voloshenko and Benoit Pouliot to that list he should make the Wild team and Belle.
     
  11. Chrisd

    Chrisd Registered User

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2005
    Messages:
    1,545
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    voloshenko, pouliot and belle will all be on the wilds ahl team next year. voloshenko most likely to get a call up.
     

  12. Pouliot? Really? Is he ready?

    Edit: I realize he almost made the team, but does anyone else think he needs more seasoning?
     
  13. Chrisd

    Chrisd Registered User

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2005
    Messages:
    1,545
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    nope def not...

    He did look pretty good in camp...but like O'sullivan a year of the AHL will do him wonders imo.

    Look for Pouliot to join the Houston Aeros. 80% chance AHL 20% NHL imo.

    To his credit, the coaches, especially Lemaire really liked him, maybe its the whole french thing.
     
  14. WhiskeyYourTheDevils

    WhiskeyYourTheDevils yer leadin me astray Sponsor

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2005
    Messages:
    17,766
    Likes Received:
    1,487
    Trophy Points:
    169
    Gender:
    Male
    Occupation:
    Strategy / Analytics
    Location:
    Raleigh, NC
    malkin will win it uncontestes, unless phil kessel plays on crosbys wing next season. Then there may be a battle
     
  15. Chrisd

    Chrisd Registered User

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2005
    Messages:
    1,545
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Kessel needs another year of college atleast...

    He's not NHL ready. He has all but said he's coming back next year, and whoever drafts him would be wise to let him develop for another year or so.
     
  16. thestonedkoala

    thestonedkoala Everyone! PANIC!

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2004
    Messages:
    20,377
    Likes Received:
    7
    Trophy Points:
    126
    Pouliot will either be in he AHL (if he can and I'm lazy not to look up his birthdate) or sent back to the OHL.
     
  17. Chrisd

    Chrisd Registered User

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2005
    Messages:
    1,545
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    yes, he's AHL elig.
     

  18. How do you know? What is the cutoff?

    Because if he is eligible for the AHL, there is no way he should be playing in the NHL. AHL seems perfect for him.

    I'm very high on Benoit (had him ranked 4rd at the draft, behind Brule, Johnson and some loser named Sidney), but I think he's a bit raw and feel the AHL is the best place for him.
     
  19. Chrisd

    Chrisd Registered User

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2005
    Messages:
    1,545
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Because i looked it up. He makes the cut off. His bday is 9-29...so that means he will be 20 as of the AHL season opener, which makes him eligible.

    I would have rather had brule over him, but i'm ok with the pick of Pouliot, he's got size and speed, and a good shot. Only thing with him will be his work ethic and drive, will tell the story.
     

  20. I'm still not convinced Brule can play his game in the NHL the way he could in junior.

    If Brule was 6'2, 210 lbs, I think he would have been the draft's #2 player, and that includes Jack Johnson, who I am VERY high on.
     
  21. Chrisd

    Chrisd Registered User

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2005
    Messages:
    1,545
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    i had it sid, jack johnson, brule, pouliot, ryan, kopitar.

    sid and jack i see no flaws in.

    Brule= size is a question mark, injuries could be...

    Pouliot= some attitude questions, work ethic

    Ryan= definite skating issues, numbers falling off a lot from start of yr

    Kopitar= has good size, but isn't setting the world on fire either in the SEL, but most don't at his age. He also is the most unknown of these guys, so who really knows where he's at with his development.

    sid and jack are the sure bets imo....the other guys could become stars, or flame out, who knows.
     
  22. ChrisKreider20

    ChrisKreider20 But y u mad?

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2004
    Messages:
    5,652
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    86
    Occupation:
    Investment Analyst
    Location:
    Toronto
    Malkin no doubt...
    Most Talent
    Most Professional Experience
    Has a pro frame
    Happens to have Sidney Crosby to feed him the puck.
     
  23. knight44

    knight44 Registered User

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2005
    Messages:
    427
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Occupation:
    Film
    Location:
    Toronto
    you guys are forgeting a guy by the name of Schremp, he is having a amazing year in London. He will thrive in edmonton, he will make the PP just amaing with his shot. I think Schremp can and will contend for the calder. But i see why no one gives him the respect he deserves, its because everyone still hates the kid for his so called "attitude problem"
     
  24. Le Golie

    Le Golie ...

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2002
    Messages:
    8,388
    Likes Received:
    66
    Trophy Points:
    146
    I don't think many people see Schremp as the kind of player capable of stepping in and having an instant offensive impact in the NHL. He still has a lot to work on to be a legitimate NHLer. Maybe he can make the Oilers right away and get PP time, but I don't think he'll have that role handed to him. If he earns it, he 'might' be among the Calder candidates, but Malkin has such an advantage over everyone else that I don't think he's likely to win it at all.
     
  25. Slitty

    Slitty Registered User

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2005
    Messages:
    3,862
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    96
    Speaking from an RSL persepctive, Malkin isnt a given if Boston bring over Zvinovjev or Detroit Grigorenko. Hell, even Ottawa's Kaigorodov can give Malkin a good run for his money. Mozyakin for the Wild is another possibility, or perhaps some older RSL player signed as a UFA. Let me remind you that Malkin did well and finnished 3rd in RSL scoring, but he did not blow the league away by any means.

    Selective RSL scoring:

    1. Mozyakin - 52pts
    3. Malkin - 47pts
    4. Zvinovjev - 41pts
    16. Grigorenko - 34pts
    20. Kaigorodov - 32pts[1].


    [1] Kaigorodov plays on the same team as Malkin and centers the 2nd line. When he centered the first line last year, he was 2nd in the league in scoring behind Sushinski... and ahead of such names as Jagr, Kovalchuk, Kovalev, Ovechkin, Malkin, Morozov, Lecavalier, Richards, ect by a fair margin.

    *Taratukhin missed a considerable portion of the season with injury, but his PPG is awsome, could be a challanger.
     

Share This Page

monitoring_string = "358c248ada348a047a4b9bb27a146148"