Calder Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

friction

5-14-6-1
Nov 17, 2003
Calgary
Sorry if it has been asked before, but assuming the draft takes place this summer and a season is played next year, who will win the Calder Memorial Trophy? Will it be Ovechkin? Malkin? Crosby? Any other contenders who have really stepped it up? I think it will be interesting, though my money is on someone from last year, just because of the age, experience and maturity level. That being said, Crosby has a great shot at considering he is alraedy a "men amongst boys", as people like to say about him. Thoughts? Opinions?

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
I think the Calder will go to someone you've never heard of. This year will be interesting since there's going to be twice as many rookies in the NHL. And Crosby will mix things up a bit, I don't think he'll be dominant as an 18-year old.

Time and again the award is won by 23-year olds who are highly seasoned in the AHL or in Europe. Look at last year's nominees:

Andrew Raycroft, 23
Michael Ryder, 23
Trent Hunter, 23

I don't think anyone picked them as favourites at the start of the year.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
If I'm correct, Malkin will play at least another year in Russia so he's out of the race. And for the calder winner, I think it will be between Oveshkin, Crosby and another player thant we don't really know...

What a Calder race :eek:

CRAZY_FAN

Aug 26, 2002
Quebec
What i'm wondering is what makes everyone so sure Ovechkin will play in the NHL next year? He might have a better contract from a russian team and decide to not come over just yet. There is also the matter of the agrement between the russian hockey federation I think this could cause some problem also...

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
CRAZY_FAN said:
What i'm wondering is what makes everyone so sure Ovechkin will play in the NHL next year? He might have a better contract from a russian team and decide to not come over just yet. There is also the matter of the agrement between the russian hockey federation I think this could cause some problem also...

It's true but I think Oveshkin already said that he want to plya in the NHL right away. Sorry, no link...Anyway, Washington needs him! He's more ready than Malkin so I'm pretty sure we will see him in the NHL in october...

And for the one who said Jeff Carter, I guess it will depend on his teamates because he will not produce like in the AHL...

cxreg

Nov 13, 2003
Seattle
Freaky Habs Fan said:
And for the one who said Jeff Carter, I guess it will depend on his teamates because he will not produce like in the AHL...

Don't forget, they were saying the same thing about OHL -> AHL ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad