Calder: Patrice Bergeron?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigAl

Oct 3, 2002
Visit site
Who in your opinion is the front runner for the Calder trophy this season? It looks like Bergeron has an excellent chance. He is putting up pretty good numbers as an 18 year old. What kind of point potential do you guys think he has over his career in the NHL.

DarkHorse

Go Banana!
Jul 15, 2003
What is Bergeron's game outside of his scoring?

I ask this, because Trent Hunter is right there in scoring, but plays an extremely physical game, has four game-winners and plays solid defensive hockey.

Hunter is a complete package. Watching him, you have no idea he's a rookie.

Ticallion961

Mar 27, 2003
Nova Scotia
From what i'm hearing, Pitkanen has been the best rookie thus far, i've only seen him play once this season and he was great. Bergeron has been playing steady this season, and putting up decent numbers, Hunter has been coming on really strong recently, so he's someone to watch out for. The other Bergeron in Edmonton is doing well i'm told, although i doubt he's on the same level as Pitkanen is. Jason King has dropped off a bit recently, but he was an early front runner for the calder, and still is a legitamate contender if he gets back on track. There are many other rookies that have played well enough to receive consideration ie. Ryder, Malone.

My top 3

1. Pitkanen
2. Hunter
3. P. Bergeron

Mar 4, 2003
Ottawa
Pitkanen is the best rookie so far, but Micheal Ryder of the Montreal Canadiens has been playing excelent as well, up there in the points for rookie. He has speed, size, he plays with heart, grit, and he can score too. This year is probably the closest Calder race in recent memory (Fleury, Bergeron, Pitkanen, Hunter, Staal, Ryder, etc.)

Kev88

Co-Founder of LaPasserelle
Nov 30, 2003
Canada
www.lapasserellehockey.com
Ticallion961 said:
From what i'm hearing, Pitkanen has been the best rookie thus far, i've only seen him play once this season and he was great. Bergeron has been playing steady this season, and putting up decent numbers, Hunter has been coming on really strong recently, so he's someone to watch out for. The other Bergeron in Edmonton is doing well i'm told, although i doubt he's on the same level as Pitkanen is. Jason King has dropped off a bit recently, but he was an early front runner for the calder, and still is a legitamate contender if he gets back on track. There are many other rookies that have played well enough to receive consideration ie. Ryder, Malone.

My top 3

1. Pitkanen
2. Hunter
3. P. Bergeron

I completely agree at 110%

Bruins Uncensored

frmrly Scotiahockey
Feb 16, 2003
Nova Scotia
Bergeron has been very physical to this point in the season, and has used his 18 year old body to crush opposing players. His strength is very good, and he uses it well in playing the body and in protecting the puck. His defensive awareness is far beyond his years and he has been playing in key time until recently when he seemed to have been sat down for a few 3rd periods- nit sure why though, his effort level has been there and he has argueably been one of the bruins best forwards to this point in the season. He is shifty, nifty and pwerful when needed.

there is alot of hockey yet to be played, but in my opinion, bergeron isnt even the best rookie on the bruins. Raycroft, in my opinion, is the best rookie so far on the team, and last nights performance against OTT only went further to prove that point. I would not be surprised if both are finalists for the calder at the end of the year.

IslesFan17

Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
Hunter still is not seeing much more then 30 seconds to a minute of PP time each game. When the coaching staff comes to their senses and makes him a regular on the PP, and he should be because he leads the team in goals, his production should go up even more.

Ejh18

Mar 3, 2003
Columbus
Visit site
Zherdev has had a great 6 games. He is way behind at this point. But if you average out his points he has now, to the 30 games that Bergeron has played, Zherdev would have more points. This is not to say that he will...

Now if Zherdev can keep up the pace he is on, I would have to think that he would move in to contention. Although it will be extremely difficult to make up the ground he has lost. I dont know if he can do it.

At this point Pitkanen seems to be the front runner. What Bergeron has done is special. He is 4 - 6 years younger than the rest of the top - 5 point getters for rookies. Same boat Nash was in last year.

Also, the Calder is by no means locked up... for any of these players... Last year it was Arnason in the lead early on...

Liquidrage*

Pitkanen had a few bad games defensively last week. Really cost him some minutes, Hitch gives him one shift after a mistake and then sits him.

But he played very well defensively against the Devil's this weekend and got 20 minutes of ice time last night.

I don't think Pitkanen will win the award though. I think he's numbers will suffer because as a 20 year old Dman he's being required to play mistake free hockey to get ice time. I personally like it as I think it will turn him into an eventual 30 minute a night legit norris calibur defenseman (he far from an offensive only dman, and has a bit of a nasty streak even and has good size). But he wont end up with the numbers to get it with such a strong rookie crop in the league, unlike Jackman last year who was able to win it with 19 points and a +22.

Hunter right ow would be my favorite, but its so early that could change in a flash.

PK*

Andrew Raycroft is having a really good season and so far, he is IMO the favorite for the Calder. My top 3 would be :

1. Raycroft
2. Pitkanen
3. Hunter

Notables : Bergeron, King, Ryder and Fleury

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
buckpunny said:
a bit of a long shot, but i'd still like to think matt stajan has a chance in the running. ;)

If King, Bergeron, Pitkanen, Zherdev, Ryder, Hunter, Koltsov, Lombardi, Radulov, Bergeron (Edm. d-man) all start to collapse and Stajan gets more ice-time and continues his play, then yes. He. Has. A. Chance. ;)

buckpunny

Nov 27, 2003
toronto
Visit site
BlueAndWhite said:
If King, Bergeron, Pitkanen, Zherdev, Ryder, Hunter, Koltsov, Lombardi, Radulov, Bergeron (Edm. d-man) all start to collapse and Stajan gets more ice-time and continues his play, then yes. He. Has. A. Chance. ;)

well, then. in THAT case...

GO MATTY GO!! :D

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Bergeron, for an 18 year old, has been very impressive. But does he have to keep injuring Sens players?? His questionable hit on Volchenkov Tuesday has knocked him out for the season and he hurt Varada’s knee last night.

Either way, he’s my Calder pick thus far.

DarkHorse

Go Banana!
Jul 15, 2003
On Pace Numbers

Hunter
77gm 37-23-60

Bergeron
82gm 16-33-49

King
81gm 32-14-46

Ryder
81gm 16-27-43

McLean
79gm 18-23-41

Zherdev
59gm 20-20-40

Malone
82gm 20-20-40

Lupul
80gm 17-20-37

Pitkanen
81gm 8-28-36

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
The Pucks said:
Bergeon isn't even the best rookie on his team, Raycroft has that honour.

agreed, but this statement doesn't really do bergeron much justice. raycroft is the best rookie in the NHL right now- he's #1 goalie in boston, and his numbers are sparkling. pitkanen has been very solid for most of the year, but defensemen usually get the shaft when it comes to rookie voting (maybe things are changing after jackman's win last season). trent hunter is also doing quite well, scoring goals and isn't afraid to toss his body around. jason king, right up there as well, but has dropped off recently.
as for bergeron, this kid is for real. i thought he'd get manhandled as an 18 year old standing at 6 foot 180 pounds. i was wrong. not only does he handle himself well, and go into traffic, but he's begun to initiate physical contact on his own. his vision is tremendous, and he's just so smart. it'd be tough for BOTH raycroft and bergeron to be finalists for the award, but i think it's a distinct possibility. but as of now, i think:

1- raycroft, 2- pitkanen, 3- hunter

DarkHorse

Go Banana!
Jul 15, 2003
Hunter has another two-point night.
Finally gets real PP time, and gets a goal for his troubles.

Rookie scoring leader.
Two over Bergeron, seven fewer games
Four over King, five fewer games
Highest +/- among rooks by 5

BostonGrl819

Jun 15, 2003
Boston, MA
Visit site
Maybe, Darkhorse, but did you SEE Bergeron play last night???

He had an excellent game. You should have seen the move he pulled in OT-almost got the game-winner with it.

This kid is something special.

Then again, Raycroft had a great game, too.

It'll be a close race this year!!!

DarkHorse

Go Banana!
Jul 15, 2003
BostonGrl819 said:
He had an excellent game. You should have seen the move he pulled in OT-almost got the game-winner with it.

That would have given him two GWG on the season, good for half of the amount Hunter already has.

I can't wait for the head to head on January 3rd. Should be a hell of a match-up if Bergeron can keep this up.

Odds are against him, though, as he's never played a pro season. It's likely he'll start to wear down. But he looks good so far.

I'm just happy to watch Hunter become everything that was hoped for out of Isbister and more.

IslesFan17

Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
DarkHorse said:
That would have given him two GWG on the season, good for half of the amount Hunter already has.

I can't wait for the head to head on January 3rd. Should be a hell of a match-up if Bergeron can keep this up.

Odds are against him, though, as he's never played a pro season. It's likely he'll start to wear down. But he looks good so far.

I'm just happy to watch Hunter become everything that was hoped for out of Isbister and more.

The thing with Hunter is, he's been the Isles best foward since he scored his first goal. He leads the team in goals(12) and game winners(4).

He's dominating along the boards and finishing every one of his checks.

pei_bruins

Sep 1, 2003
Summerside, PEI
Visit site
I'd say Hunter is definitely the leader amongst the skaters right now. But I think Raycroft has to be the leader overall. Just look at his numbers- 1.88 GAA (6th in the league) and a save percentage of .931 (4th in the league). And he only appears to be getting better as the season passes. He hasn't allowed more than two goals in any of his last six games. We still have a long way to go, but the Calder race is definitely going to be imteresting this year.

IslesFan17

Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
pei_bruins said:
I'd say Hunter is definitely the leader amongst the skaters right now. But I think Raycroft has to be the leader overall. Just look at his numbers- 1.88 GAA (6th in the league) and a save percentage of .931 (4th in the league). And he only appears to be getting better as the season passes. He hasn't allowed more than two goals in any of his last six games. We still have a long way to go, but the Calder race is definitely going to be imteresting this year.

Can't really argue with that...

BlackJack21

Nov 6, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
buckpunny said:
a bit of a long shot, but i'd still like to think matt stajan has a chance in the running. ;)

Not a long shot at all... I think he have really good chance! :D

My pick is Travis Moen...

No Kidding...

Pit is the best Rookie, talking about talent, but I think the edge will go to Hunter cause he is a most valuable player for his team.

He's is also 23, so he should handle the seaons more concistently.
More Pro experiance, etc...

BJ21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad