C/W Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Ässät, Liiga (2018, 3rd, MTL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
According to lineups, 3LW in the game they lost 0-3 and 2C in the game they won 3-0 and where he scored the goal.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
So the mens preseason is more important than Ivan Hlinka? They can't give them those couple weeks to play with their own age group?

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
So the mens preseason is more important than Ivan Hlinka? They can't give them those couple weeks to play with their own age group?

Hlinka tourney doesn't start until Monday. Finland doesn't have any pre tournament games IIRC. Jesperi was named to the team.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Scored a game winner for his pro team. Apparently was also one of their best players tonight.

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
Has he looked better in preseason play than he did at the Hlinka? To be honest, I was pretty disappointed with him there. I thought he looked far better at the u18's in April. To me he seemed lost, and handled the puck like he was afraid of it. I wonder if maybe he's suited to a more structured game that he might find at the pro level. But I don't think he'll ever be a centre. The play just doesn't seem to flow through him.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Has he looked better in preseason play than he did at the Hlinka? To be honest, I was pretty disappointed with him there. I thought he looked far better at the u18's in April. To me he seemed lost, and handled the puck like he was afraid of it. I wonder if maybe he's suited to a more structured game that he might find at the pro level. But I don't think he'll ever be a centre. The play just doesn't seem to flow through him.

Didn't watch him yesterday but you could be right. Was the exact same thing with Barkov (although if I remember correctly he actually was good at Hlinka). Barkov had really bad WJCs especially compared to expectations, I mean he was closing in for a PPG in FEL but had trouble in the U20s. Despite that he was playing top minutes at the NHL the next year. So Barkov definitely had trouble with unstructured game and this could very well be the case for Kotkaniemi as well. We're about to find out soon enough.

Got to say I'm more intrigued about Kupari (who also plays C) at the moment and maybe because he seemed more electric at Hlink but if they both get to play FEL this year it's tough to say which one would have the better season.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
Kotkaniemi scored a typical powerforward goal in his first ever Liiga match.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
As I said in another thread; Button ranking Kupari at 5 and Kotkaniemi at 27 was ridiculous.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Kotkaniemi had some fantastic debut for sure. He was coasting at the net and making it look so damn easy. Could have had more points with better luck. I hope someone comes up with a clip of the first game highlights. Definitely worth having a look. Where do all these kids come from? :nod:

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Kotkaniemi had some fantastic debut for sure. He was coasting at the net and making it look so damn easy. Could have had more points with better luck. I hope someone comes up with a clip of the first game highlights. Definitely worth having a look. Where do all these kids come from? :nod:

He had pretty flawless game, nothing massive outside his 2 points but he looked good for a kid playing his his first official pro game.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013

He had pretty flawless game, nothing massive outside his 2 points but he looked good for a kid playing his his first official pro game.

It's the way he was making his way towards the net with confidence and poise that caught the eye. The third point wasn't far away either. You can see from the last few attempts where his team mates basically just needed to lift the puck over the pads & glove from close range but couldn't do it. Kotkaniemi already looks pretty mature strength-wise for his age and has a solid frame. Any idea if he grew any height last summer? Hopefully they'll permanently slot him on the power play. His vision & shot could make him very effective already.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What do you care about the rankings at this point? Who knew at the start of last year that Heiskanen was going 3rd... It is a crap shoot.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I think the point is that its really misleading to say Kupari is that much better than Kotkaniemi.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
There must be a reason why Kotkaniemi plays against men and is succeeding while Kupari is still in juniors.

Last edited:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
At the Hlinka, I was pretty enamored with Kotkaniemi as I kept watching successive games because he's the kind of player who grows on you with his consistency, subtlety, and detail. His game is already so mature, even off the cycle. He can flash his skill for sure, but he almost always seemed to make the right decisions with or without the puck.

Doesn't shock me this kid is already doing (early) things in Liiga, despite only turning 17 a couple months ago. My summer impression was that he already played like a total pro. It's still early, but for me, he has to be one of the most cerebral, well-rounded players in this class. Good physical tools (and he uses them) + good skill + high end hockey sense is catnip to me. And he seemed to me like someone who could legitimately project as both a center and a wing. The only thing I would like to pin down this year is what exactly his ceiling is.

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Hopefully they'll permanently slot him on the power play. His vision & shot could make him very effective already.
Considering that the head coach has recognized that, and that the team doesn't have too much of those two qualities there shouldn't be much of a chance that he won't be getting pp time regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad