C/W Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Ässät, Liiga (2018, 3rd, MTL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pezcore

Jan 13, 2012
St-Hubert, Qc
He's said earlier that his position is center. He only played winger this season because he was so young enter liiga and projects to play center in Ässäts top 6 next season.

Well thats reassuring for this Habs fan. I guess I have doubts because I havent seen much of him this year compared to the other top players in this draft.

If he has the potential to be a Monahan type of center than Im on board.

It all depends what Bergevin has in mind come draft day. If he wants to trade Pacioretty, he might go with Zadina to replace his productivity but if he wants to keep him and extend him, Kotkaniemi might be his pick.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
I'm just curious, when you say Pettersson is a better prospect than Kotka, do you mean right now ? In which case it's obvious he is. Or do you mean entering both entering their draft year ?

razor ray

May 8, 2011
The Habs should get the player they think is the best with the 3rd round pick this year. If you look at the Habs team they should be in rebuild mode for a couple of more years. If they really want Kotkaniemi they should trade MaxP for a draftpick+ or trade some of the 2nd rounders to a higher pick. Next years drafr have better center depth than this one with probably 3 centers in the top 5 and if they are lucky they might get 1st overall.

The Habs are not that bad. I highly doubt they draft in the top 5 next year. Just need to be healthy.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I'm just curious, when you say Pettersson is a better prospect than Kotka, do you mean right now ? In which case it's obvious he is. Or do you mean entering both entering their draft year ?

Right now. It's obviously inherently difficult to compare prospects in different draft years playing in different leagues and different levels of hockey. EP was drafted out of the 2nd tier Swedish league, JK played in the top Fininsh league.

But after the insane season EP just had in the SHL, there's no doubt he is the better prospect right now.

Reactions: jayhabsvgk

Kuz

May 11, 2015
The Habs are not that bad. I highly doubt they draft in the top 5 next year. Just need to be healthy.

If they trade MaxPac for futures I doubt they finish much higher if Price doesnt get back to his best. They have no 1st center. Drouin or Galchenyuk are good players, but dont fit there. They have good depth at the wing, but they will start to lack some scoring if Pacioretty leaves. Weber not injured might help a lot, but will be interesting to see what level he will play at. Petry is good, but after him and Weber there defence is really weak and is probably one of the main reasons for Price having worse numbers. They where 4th last this year and I dont see a lot of improvement short term unless they sign someone like Tavares. The thing is the Habs doesnt look like a contender next year and the management need to make some really good moves to make them a playoff team next year.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012

Not surprising. U18 opened a lot of eyes.

Ehh... I'm not really feeling it. He was maybe a bit underrated during his regular season, but this jump to the 3rd spot is too sudden. If Montreal really wants him, they could easily trade back a few spots and still get him. He is not the 3rd best prospect in this draft.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Ehh... I'm not really feeling it. He was maybe a bit underrated during his regular season, but this jump to the 3rd spot is too sudden. If Montreal really wants him, they could easily trade back a few spots and still get him. He is not the 3rd best prospect in this draft.

It's not about today for lot of teams.

If Montreal picks him at 3 they'll see him as a #1C in his prime.
They'd bet on him to keep developing like he has lately, being able to fix his weaknessess and have a longterm future at C.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Or if they really want him they just grab him at 3 and make sure to get him. They have four 2nds, why start playing games?

Mdamico

Dec 29, 2006
For me, if Kotkaniemi played in the CHL like Zadina did, he'd be a surefire pick for MTL at 3. He put up a similar amount of points in his draft year to that of Patrik Laine while playing less minutes in the same league. He was PPG while playing against kids his age at the U-18s and projects as a full-time C . The only reason he played wing in the SM-Liiga was because he was by far the youngest player on the team ( he's 17 and the closest was 20) and he still finished third in team scoring. He has the offensive potential, but he's just hidden in Europe from all the mainstream scouts.

Thing is, Habs have their scouts in Sweden and Finland headed by Christopher Rockstrom, and, since Rockstrom was hired, the Habs have been far more open to taken Swedes and Finns than ever before ( Generally took Americans in the 1/2nd round). I'd still trade down and try to get another asset while picking him.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
For me, if Kotkaniemi played in the CHL like Zadina did, he'd be a surefire pick for MTL at 3. He put up a similar amount of points in his draft year to that of Patrik Laine while playing less minutes in the same league..
Huh? no. that's fake news

Kotkaniemi 57GP 29points; playoffs 7gp 1point
Laine 46GP 33points; playoffs 18gp 13points

That's not similar at all.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
For me, if Kotkaniemi played in the CHL like Zadina did, he'd be a surefire pick for MTL at 3. He put up a similar amount of points in his draft year to that of Patrik Laine while playing less minutes in the same league. He was PPG while playing against kids his age at the U-18s and projects as a full-time C .
... You seriously try to compare him to Laine? Laine scored 15 points in playoffs, 10 of which goals, won playoff MVP as his team won the championship. Laine scored 12 points in 10 games at WHC - International adults. Not u-18 "against kids his age". Laine at u-20s though scored almost at a 2 PPG pace.

As much as I like Kotkaniemi, they're not even close.

ginomini

May 25, 2014
Laine comparison aside.

The idea of Kotkaniemi in the CHL is interesting. I think Kotka would have had at least as much points as Veleno most likely somewhere between 80 and 100 points depending on match played.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011

Not surprising. U18 opened a lot of eyes.

Even before the U18's, I had Kotkianiemi pegged with a good chance of being in the top 5, and a lock for the top 10. It wasn't difficult to see why, he has a game that is better suited to the pros than track-meet/pond-hockey type games.....has good size/vision/playmaking, understands the game at a high level...and projects at the most premium position in today's game.

Somewhat undersized/slight wingers (while Zadina is the definition of a safe, decent ceiling pick) with good, but not groundbreaking productivity (exceptions being a guy like Marner) are probably going to be passed for guys that project better into the pros, and play a more premium position more often than not (Kotkianiemi, Dobson).

If I'm confident in my player development ops, I'd take both (of the aforementioned) in the top 5, which kicks Zadina to #5 for me.

Reactions: le_sean

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
He can, but he wont.
What makes you say that? For instance Mikko Rantanen (whom many are comparing Kotkaniemi to) made the jump to the AHL straight after the draft, and it worked out great for him and the Avalanche.

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
What makes you say that? For instance Mikko Rantanen (whom many are comparing Kotkaniemi to) made the jump to the AHL straight after the draft, and it worked out great for him and the Avalanche.

His father is the head coach of ässät and he has guaranteed top 6 C role on the team, I would be very surprised if he goes to AHL

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
His father is the head coach of ässät and he has guaranteed top 6 C role on the team, I would be very surprised if he goes to AHL
And you assume an NHL organization thinks playing with your daddy's team would be the best thing for his development?

TheRocket87

Nov 26, 2010
A prospect should have to earn his ice time, not just get it because their daddy is the head coach. Anyone who has played junior hockey, when some kid's dad is the coach would know this.

To be fair it'd be hard to argue he doesn't belong in the top 6 in his team for the upcoming season. Regardless of who the head coach is.

He's probably centering the 2nd line and gets his share of PP time. As he should.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Even before the U18's, I had Kotkianiemi pegged with a good chance of being in the top 5, and a lock for the top 10. It wasn't difficult to see why, he has a game that is better suited to the pros than track-meet/pond-hockey type games.....has good size/vision/playmaking, understands the game at a high level...and projects at the most premium position in today's game.

Somewhat undersized/slight wingers (while Zadina is the definition of a safe, decent ceiling pick) with good, but not groundbreaking productivity (exceptions being a guy like Marner) are probably going to be passed for guys that project better into the pros, and play a more premium position more often than not (Kotkianiemi, Dobson).

If I'm confident in my player development ops, I'd take both (of the aforementioned) in the top 5, which kicks Zadina to #5 for me.
In what world is Zadina undersized? I don't see anything in Zadina's game currently that will hold him back from having an NHL career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad