C/W Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Ässät, Liiga (2018, 3rd, MTL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He's no Barkov. At this point, it doesn't look like he's going to be able to reach the level of the top Finnish prospects for the 2016 or 2017 drafts. But if his development is good, he should easily be a first rounder, most likely a relative early one as well. His u18 performance was good and he's a big center.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
He is closer to Julius Nättinen than Barkov. People seem to have forgotten how good Barkov was as 16 year old, Kotkaniemi is not even close to that.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
He is closer to Julius Nättinen than Barkov. People seem to have forgotten how good Barkov was as 16 year old, Kotkaniemi is not even close to that.
He was as good as him as a 15 year old. He missed over half of the season due to injury. He has the potential to be as good as him. But yeah he isn't going to score 48 points though.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Not that he's bad, but Barkov comparisons are off. Barkov was super skilled and mature at his age. He was unique.

Lets hope for a decent NHL center so we don't have to be disappointed.

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
In their draft -1 years Barkov scored 16 points in 32 games in Liiga, along with 8 points in 5 u20 games. Kotkaniemi scored 15 points in 17 u20 games. Barkov was also the second or third line center for u20 Finland as a 16 year old. I like Kotkaniemi but Barkovs 16 year old season is on another level.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
He was as good as him as a 15 year old. He missed over half of the season due to injury. He has the potential to be as good as him. But yeah he isn't going to score 48 points though.

Barkov wasn't even the biggest talent at his own team at 15y. I mean he was talented but more like a 3-4 rounder, not first rounder and definitely not a 2nd overall talent.

The leap he took as 15-18 were so huge that it's not fair to expect anyone to take similar steps.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Is there a way to watch finnish Jr A games online? How can I watch games (from the previous season) of Kotkaniemi, Kupari, Ylonen etc? Does Finland have something similar to the swedish LiveArena?

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Is there a way to watch finnish Jr A games online? How can I watch games (from the previous season) of Kotkaniemi, Kupari, Ylonen etc? Does Finland have something similar to the swedish LiveArena?
There's a LiveArena for Finland but at least last season they only showed some A-Jr games: http://sports.livearena.com/

Then there's Fanseat, which is a platform with many different sports, it is supposed to show A-Jr games as well as Mestis and other hockey leagues: http://www.fanseat.com/

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Seems you can buy access to previous games on LiveArena for 10 euros a month. Not sure if there are region blocks up or not.

http://sports.livearena.com/User/Products

On a side note, if you haven't already seen them, you can watch most U-18 WJC game through this link in which they all participated in. It is region blocked in some areas though.

http://u18worlds2017.iihf.com/en/stream-game-7-finland-switzerland/

Quethas

Jan 19, 2010
Tampere
Don't go to Finnish LiveArena if you want to watch Jr.A. During the last season Finnish Ice Hockey Association made a deal with Fanseat which includes agreement that all the Jr. A should be broadcasted in Fanseat. After that nothing new arrived to LiveArena.

So if nothing changes, my advice would be to sign up in Fanseat and go to http://go.fanseat.com/. You can also find recordings of the last season games from there. Jr. A is Nuorten SM-liiga.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
In their draft -1 years Barkov scored 16 points in 32 games in Liiga, along with 8 points in 5 u20 games. Kotkaniemi scored 15 points in 17 u20 games. Barkov was also the second or third line center for u20 Finland as a 16 year old. I like Kotkaniemi but Barkovs 16 year old season is on another level.
That's not really a fair comparison to Kotkaniemi since he's been incredible unlucky with injuries thus far. In their -2 draft years they had very similar seasons statwise. Also Kotkaniemi was about 9 months younger.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Don't go to Finnish LiveArena if you want to watch Jr.A. During the last season Finnish Ice Hockey Association made a deal with Fanseat which includes agreement that all the Jr. A should be broadcasted in Fanseat. After that nothing new arrived to LiveArena.

So if nothing changes, my advice would be to sign up in Fanseat and go to http://go.fanseat.com/. You can also find recordings of the last season games from there. Jr. A is Nuorten SM-liiga.

Is it free? (Fanseat)

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Jesper is the only Finnish player I'm high on this year. Not too big on Ylonen but that could change. I like his play style and he could easily hop into the top 15 with a good year. Very big skilled center. I'll compare him to a Barkov-Getzlaf hybrid. He's got the physique of a Getzlaf but more resembles Barkov in the skill department. Can see a big jump here for sure, not in the level of Pulju, Laine, Juolevi of Finnish past but he can creep up there.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Kotkaniemi scored his first goal for Ässät men's team in his first game.

It was his second game. Lame. :sarcasm:

However, the games at Pitsiturnaus are only 30 minutes long, so perhaps we could argue that it was his first game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad