C/W Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Ässät, Liiga (2018, 3rd, MTL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
And both play a very different game. I doubt Kotkaniemi breaks any records next season.
I think he is that talented that he might still surprise some people here next season. Having his father as the coach might also help him get a bit better role and more of ice time. I hope he will be played as a center next year.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Similar height, both underrated at draft day, same position, outstanding international performances, both shoot with their left hand

I mean sure they're around the same height but Kotkaniemis frame is a lot bigger and Pettersson seems much more skilled to me.

Reactions: Castle8130

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Similar height, both underrated at draft day, same position, outstanding international performances, both shoot with their left hand

same height but he has like 30 lbs on him, but different attributes.

Pettersson is pure offence, this one is a awesome 2 way player, not sure if he can dangle like him, if he was a Finnish Pettersson he will be a top 3 pick.

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
I think he lands right at the Oilers doorstep.... The year we need a dman the most. We will take Ty Smith over him at 10.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I think he lands right at the Oilers doorstep.... The year we need a dman the most. We will take Ty Smith over him at 10.

My money is he will drop one of the defensemen down 1 spot(by being picked top 9) so the Oilers can pick them. As an Islanders fan I will be somewhat annoyed since we were going to pick 10th until Carolina won and that most likely means we end up with Ty Smith. lol

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I mean sure they're around the same height but Kotkaniemis frame is a lot bigger and Pettersson seems much more skilled to me.

Agreed. It would need everything to go right and then some for Kotkaniemi to have equally impressive D+1 season as Pettersson come next year. One of the only advantages Kotkaniemi has right now is size & physical game. His frame looks bigger than most adult's when you watch the FEL games. Then again, Kotkaniemi might have less problems adjusting to the smaller rinks due to not having any weight concerns. Nevertheless, it's difficult to project Kotkaniemi having bigger impact than Pettersson moving forward. Also he has tons of work ahead with the top speed.

Wonder why the Oilers would want him when they are practically loaded in the middle with McDavid, Draisaitl and RNH. I'd imagine that Draisaitl was projected to play center long term no matter the history with McDavid.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
I'm really hoping the Islanders like one of the other centers or someone falls so they don't take him at 11/12. Dallas desperately needs a legit top six center prospect and this year it seems the top ones should be available when they pick.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I'm really hoping the Islanders like one of the other centers or someone falls so they don't take him at 11/12. Dallas desperately needs a legit top six center prospect and this year it seems the top ones should be available when they pick.
Dallas should be able to land Veleno. If not, then Kupari and Hayton will be available.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Dallas should be able to land Veleno. If not, then Kupari and Hayton will be available.
I seriously doubt that Kupari will ever be an NHL center. He might though become a pretty good grinding winger, if his development goes well. He just does not have much of natural playmaking skills or very high hockey IQ, so that is why I doubt that he will ever be an NHL caliber center. His skating and dangling skills are great though, and his average hockey IQ should be enough for him to become a good and speedy grinder, if his development goes well.

Reactions: habsfan44

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I seriously doubt that Kupari will ever be an NHL center. He might though become a pretty good grinding winger, if his development goes well. He just does not have much of natural playmaking skills or very high hockey IQ, so that is why I doubt that he will ever be an NHL caliber center. His skating and dangling skills are great though, and his average hockey IQ should be enough for him to become a good and speedy grinder, if his development goes well.
Yeah I'm not high on him, just saying he'll be available.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Is there any way to get a highlight video of his u18 tourney?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
same height but he has like 30 lbs on him, but different attributes.

Pettersson is pure offence, this one is a awesome 2 way player, not sure if he can dangle like him, if he was a Finnish Pettersson he will be a top 3 pick.
Pettersson is EXCELLENT in his own zone. One of his best qualities which is nuts cause we know how great his offence is. If we somehow add Kotkaniemi to our weaponry i will be one happy dude :nod:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Pettersson is EXCELLENT in his own zone. One of his best qualities which is nuts cause we know how great his offence is. If we somehow add Kotkaniemi to our weaponry i will be one happy dude :nod:
That is true as he was only on the ice for like 14 5v5 goals but his comparison is a good 2line player similar to Horvat and gaudette, not liking the idea of another 2 way centreman unless he has 1st line upside.

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
Pronman ranked him #4 in the upcoming draft, a little too high if you ask me. He stands a chance of becoming a solid top 6 C though, so I'm excited.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Pronman ranked him #4 in the upcoming draft, a little too high if you ask me. He stands a chance of becoming a solid top 6 C though, so I'm excited.

I’ve read so much hype about him post draft lottery.

I’m not against astronomical risers, but when they are jumping up the charts when the season is over and most hockey is done, I get skeptical. What has changed now to when he was actually playing hockey? Is he getting too much love because he’s the only good center prospect in the top ~10?

Does he realistically have the offensive skill set to put up 70 point seasons? (which is a top line center to me, and what I would want out of a good draft’s top 5.)

I would be disappointed if Ottawa took him at #4 and his potential is a 2C...however likely he is to reach that spot.

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
I’ve read so much hype about him post draft lottery.

I’m not against astronomical risers, but when they are jumping up the charts when the season is over and most hockey is done, I get skeptical. What has changed now to when he was actually playing hockey? Is he getting too much love because he’s the only good center prospect in the top ~10?

Does he realistically have the offensive skill set to put up 70 point seasons? (which is a top line center to me, and what I would want out of a good draft’s top 5.)

I would be disappointed if Ottawa took him at #4 and his potential is a 2C...however likely he is to reach that spot.
I think this is the case.

He should be 2C material, he'd easily go top 5 if he showed more potential. It's difficult to say his draft number, on one hand centermen are always needed and he seems like the best one, but on the other he isn't that amazing.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Not a chance he'll be there at 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad