C/W Adam Mascherin (2016, 38th, FLA; unsigned; 2018, 100th, DAL)

Terrence

Aug 3, 2010
Didn't see a thread for this guy.

Small, but strong offensive centre. 2nd overall pick in the 2014 OHL Draft behind Chychrun. I think he's played well in the two Kitchener games I've seen, including scoring his first 2 OHL goals tonight.

Thoughts? Projections?

Last edited:

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
A powerful, skilled pivot with great vision and in close puck skills. A clever, finely skilled playmaker, not an outwardly flashy skater, yet sneaky fast thanks to protracted stride and deceptive physical strength. Superior playmaking abilities, a magician with the puck, masterful at disguising intentions and inventing passing lanes for himself. Makes the best playing decision in possession, patiently holding the puck, waiting for things to happen. Short, stocky and powerful for his size, understands how to maximize his stick and body strength in traffic. Shifts well laterally to open up lanes and is dangerous driving the net and unleashing his heavy shot. A finisher, poised in high potential scoring areas. Can come up short in the defensive size of the game, needs to operate at full passion on both sides of the puck. Can stop moving his feet, observing and not injecting himself into the defensive system. Can go silent from time to time, must strive to be a difference maker every time he steps on the ice. (Sean Lafortune, 2014)

Pretty sweet scouting report from thescout.ca, they do scouting reports for the young kids getting drafted into the OHL. Sounds very talented offensively, he's playing for Canada Red at the U17s this November.

2 in 4 so far, pretty good start.

thething

Jul 28, 2014
Mascherin has an elite shot, probably at a pro level already.

He may have to move to the wing in the future, he's not big enough (height wise) to be a traditional centre.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto

He may have to move to the wing in the future, he's not big enough (height wise) to be a traditional centre.

I always felt this way but let's see what happens.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Reminds me a lot of Jeff Skinner. Has a sweet release and a heavy shot. Creative mind. He's going to be a good one.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario

He's playing wing right now and he plays a game seemingly more suited to the wing.

If he keeps the feet moving and asserts himself he'll be a handful. He has an extremely solid base and deadly shot.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
3 assists today and third star of the game. So that makes 2 goals, 4 assists, 6 points in 7 games so far. Pretty good start for him and he's looking more and more comfortable out there.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
3 assists today and third star of the game. So that makes 2 goals, 4 assists, 6 points in 7 games so far. Pretty good start for him and he's looking more and more comfortable out there.

Not Suprised, last year with the Vaughn Kings he put up over 100 points and didn't have anyone else on his team come close to him.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Wanted to bump this thread, just to say that from the Rangers games I've been able to watch, I've seen some really great moments from Mascherin so far this year.

I'm not in a position to watch every Rangers game - but I try to tune in when I have the chance and watch as long as I can.

From what I've seen - Mascherin obviously doesn't have great size, but his skating looks pretty good at top speed, and he looks pretty shifty, with good puck control, and good passing.

A couple of things from my viewings - his skating seemed kind of slow re initial acceleration and i found that he would completely disappear for stretches. Rangers fans would be in the best position to comment whether those observations were the result of nothing other 'small sample size' (& i'm %100 fine being wrong b/c of sample size) or whether they've noticed the same.

in any event, like i said, Mascherin's OHL season seems off to a decent start - and maybe some of the Rangers fans could add more.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Wanted to bump this thread, just to say that from the Rangers games I've been able to watch, I've seen some really great moments from Mascherin so far this year.

I'm not in a position to watch every Rangers game - but I try to tune in when I have the chance and watch as long as I can.

From what I've seen - Mascherin obviously doesn't have great size, but his skating looks pretty good at top speed, and he looks pretty shifty, with good puck control, and good passing.

A couple of things from my viewings - his skating seemed kind of slow re initial acceleration and i found that he would completely disappear for stretches. Rangers fans would be in the best position to comment whether those observations were the result of nothing other 'small sample size' (& i'm %100 fine being wrong b/c of sample size) or whether they've noticed the same.

in any event, like i said, Mascherin's OHL season seems off to a decent start - and maybe some of the Rangers fans could add more.

I would agree he tends to disappear sometimes but at the same time you have to keep in mind that he's just a rookie. He's about what I expected him to be at this point. Not every OHL rookie can come in and have the effect that Konecny did.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
Bump

he has 29 points in 60 games. How did he look this year? What role is he playing in next year? Also what is his draft position? I'm from Kitchener but I don't follow the CHL to much unless the player is draft eligible.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Bump

he has 29 points in 60 games. How did he look this year? What role is he playing in next year? Also what is his draft position? I'm from Kitchener but I don't follow the CHL to much unless the player is draft eligible.

He looks very solid and sturdy in frame and has a zinger of a shot. He has good vision, but is still adjusting to the speed of the OHL. He doesn't have the time he's accustomed to getting but that's starting to come.

He isn't NHL draft eligible until 2016. I expect a big point jump for him next season. He will be a primo offensive player in the league in time.

leafs nation27*

Bump , in your honest opinion people , is Mascherin a 1st round talent in the 16' draft. If so I would like the Leafs to draft him with Pittsburgh's 1st round pick.

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
Bump , in your honest opinion people , is Mascherin a 1st round talent in the 16' draft. If so I would like the Leafs to draft him with Pittsburgh's 1st round pick.

Bahah no. I've seen this guy since he played JR Canadians AAA and i've seen some of his play in the OHL, he dominated AAA (insane point totals..) because he has that elite shot and he has good offensive instincts, and he threw his body around a bit. However, I don't think his skating is good enough for the NHL and he will have to work hard to get better. I think hes an early to mid 2nd round pick. But that's just my opinion, he could have a huge year this year and make me eat crow haha.

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
I remember watching this guys isolation video years ago. The Canada intrasquad scrimmage was my first viewing since then. Didn't really do anything to impress me.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Really liked this kid in the few games I watched of him last season. Will be very interesting to see what kind of steps he takes this coming season. Doesn't seem like a 1st rounder at this point according to the pre-season rankings out there. Hoping he'll have a big year.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
I remember watching this guys isolation video years ago. The Canada intrasquad scrimmage was my first viewing since then. Didn't really do anything to impress me.

So what you are saying is - you haven't really seen enough of him to pass anything close to resembling a fair and solid judgement? Watching an iso video "years ago" and an intrasquad scrimmage does not offer one a valid lens to judge a prospect through....:help:

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario

He has a LOT to prove this year and so do his coaches. He suffered under bland, unimaginative coaching last year but he also was slow to adjust to the speed of the league.

He has a deadly shot, but needs to work harder to get it away. He also needs to pick up a step in the neutral zone. His passing is under-rated and he has such a good core that he has to be a force in the OHL sooner than later. But he seemed to lack that instinct and desire to have the puck that is usually present in the high-end scorers. And instinct and desire are tough to teach.

Big year for him.

Mar 12, 2009
He has a LOT to prove this year and so do his coaches. He suffered under bland, unimaginative coaching last year but he also was slow to adjust to the speed of the league.

He has a deadly shot, but needs to work harder to get it away. He also needs to pick up a step in the neutral zone. His passing is under-rated and he has such a good core that he has to be a force in the OHL sooner than later. But he seemed to lack that instinct and desire to have the puck that is usually present in the high-end scorers. And instinct and desire are tough to teach.

Big year for him.

Pretty much this. The skill and potential is there from what I've seen, but he needs to improve his acceleration and get engaged more consistently if he's going to take that next step.

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
So what you are saying is - you haven't really seen enough of him to pass anything close to resembling a fair and solid judgement? Watching an iso video "years ago" and an intrasquad scrimmage does not offer one a valid lens to judge a prospect through....:help:

:laugh:

Actually, if you follow closely this is what I am saying:

- I watched an isolation video of him years ago.
- I watched an intra-squad game recently and thought he looked merely okay.

That's it.

Does it look like I'm going on an anti-Adam Mascherin crusade? I'm barely qualified enough to spell his name correctly. :laugh:

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
So why are you even commenting in this thread? People read the prospects board to get informed opinions on players they either: a) don't have the ability to watch regularly; or b) follow closely and are looking for other's informed opinions on. Clearly your post offers neither of these qualities, so why comment? The fact that you can't spell his name is irrelevant, but the fact that you have only 2 hazy viewings of him solidifies the fact that you have nothing of substance to offer.

edit: note how the above two posters have, you know, actually watched him play? It seems you could learn something from that

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
I don't know why people are so critical of him. Wasn't in a fantastic situation and had several flashes of brilliance. Can definitely see him being a first round pick this year. He's not big but he is strong and has all the talent and tools to succeed. It's up to him to put it together and have a big year.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Isn't showing up on the more high profile draft rankings (ISS, TSN, Button, etc) but has had a really good start to the season.

He's currently 4th in the OHL in scoring (17 pts in 11 games - 7 g, 10 a). Kitchener is a strong team this year - but he's also the leading scorer on it.

At 5'9 (and that might be generous), his height isn't great - but he's got a pretty stocky build...reminds me of Domi physically - Max might be a bit taller.

His skating has improved since last year (at least going by my own 'eye test') - but still definitely not his strong suit..which isn't a great weakness to have for a player his height. But he's still young.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad