C Santeri Virtanen - Tampereen Ilves, Liiga (2017, 105th, WPG)

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Does he project as more of a wing than a center? I appreciate that he didn't play much last year.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I really like what I saw from Virtanen at the U18's. Not the greatest skater in the world, but he was a very effective player. He scored 2 GWG in a row, and almost added a 3rd.

I was hoping that one of the finnish prospects would have some footage from some of his few Jr.A games this season.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I wouldnt take him because of the 0.00001% he is somehow related to Jake Virtanen from 6 generations ago

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Lmao, I actually thought that already the first Jake post was a joke..

I don't think Santeri will be drafted but you never know.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Virtanen is like the most common surname in Finland, maybe second only to "Korhonen".I dunno, my bets go to Virtanen. And Jake Virtanen, especially!

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
This is definitely my favourite HFBoards thread. I also really like Santeri's brother Jake, so this is cool!

But, let's get back to business.

I didn’t know anything about Virtanen going into the U18s but he really impressed me. Promising power forward with excellent speed. Powerful stride, can power through opponents with the puck or rush into openings to get in scoring position. Uses his body well to protect the puck. Has smooth hands and can deke through opponents. Uses his reach really well to get loose pucks back or to deke through opponents behind their backs. Plays smart neutral-zone passes. Can get powerful shots at the net and crashes the net for rebounds. Can shoot multiple ways, including backhand. Could have been a second-rounder had he played the full season and done so successfully. This way, I still see him getting drafted in maybe the fifth round or so.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
What was the deal with his USHL stint? From what I understand he was slated to play in there, got hurt and then headed back to Finland to recover?

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Man, some of the guys can't take a joke here. It is funny though that he actually is a really similar player compared his "brother". Speedy powerforward; hopefully he will pan out at least ;). In all seriousness his production has been preatty steady in all levels so far. Could see someone picking him up in the later rounds.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Yeah, Virtanens, the Amazing Virtanens are all secretly connected and form this clandestine global fraternity and conspiracy.

Hockey is their smokescreen for world domination!

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Yet, where are great Korhonens of hockey. No****ingwheresoever!

And Virtanens have also spread over the NA hockey scene. Amazing Virtanens!

Korhonen's not a hockey name. They're skiers.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Korhonen's not a hockey name. They're skiers.

I dunno about that either, Lempo the Academic Steeler...

I think Korhonens' specialize in being shabby tiresome politicians, state men and furniture dealers... :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad