C Sam Reinhart (2014, 2nd, BUF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I would not be too concerned about Reinhart scoring more highlight reel goals. In reality in the NHL those goals are few and far between. More goals are scored in dirty areas and by knowing where to be on the ice than being able to say stickhandle through an entire team. I see what Reinhart is doing as actually being more sustainable, than the unsustainable premise of having to rely on only flashier skills to produce.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I would not be too concerned about Reinhart scoring more highlight reel goals. In reality in the NHL those goals are few and far between. More goals are scored in dirty areas and by knowing where to be on the ice than being able to say stickhandle through an entire team. I see what Reinhart is doing as actually being more sustainable, than the unsustainable premise of having to rely on only flashier skills to produce.

Definitely agree. He scores NHL goals around the net with what's on their way to being elite net-front presence and deflection talent. He's also shown he's capable of scoring in the slot with an ever-improving wrister. He has strong puck skills but he's just not a dynamic kind of player who is going to dangle through the defense. He instead gets other players easy opportunities with his passing and smarts. His assist totals should climb considerably in his second season, especially if he finds his way back to center. When he had to move to center due to injuries a few games ago you could instantly see what he showed in the past (say, the WJC), which is a fantastic ability to get the puck in the defensive zone and spring talented players for great opportunities.

even with that dui ?

I think it's safe to say the DUI has become a total non-factor among the players and organization. No one ever mentions team leadership without mentioning ROR. No one mentions ROR without mentioning how he has the respect of everyone, how so many players attend his little post-practice drill sessions, etc. It's strongly implied he's going to be the next captain, probably next season, whenever such a thing is relevant.

I think some people are really overrating Reinhart based on just the amount goals attached to his name.

Most of Reinhart's goals are just tip ins or put backs. How long can that really last? His skills are way behind the true goal scorers in this league. Not really fast, doesn't have a good shot and isn't smooth/creative with puck on stick.

His goals are nice, but I am a little cautious about him. His game seems ugly to me.

Wouldn't surprise me to see him level out at this production for career which is decent but not star worthy.

He has 18 goals with 20-ish games remaining as a player known for his two-way play and playmaking. How high are your standards if you're going to nitpick this? It's clear his goals aren't simply lucky ones like, say, Foligno had during his crazy stretch with Stafford and Ennis. His goals are being scored by talent, positioning, and timing. It's likely he'll only get better at this kind of scoring as he gets stronger. He is creative with the puck on his stick, but it's as a passer that he's creative, not as a deker. There are plenty of reliable scorers in the league who aren't dynamic one-on-one with the puck.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I think some people are really overrating Reinhart based on just the amount goals attached to his name.

Most of Reinhart's goals are just tip ins or put backs. How long can that really last? His skills are way behind the true goal scorers in this league. Not really fast, doesn't have a good shot and isn't smooth/creative with puck on stick.

His goals are nice, but I am a little cautious about him. His game seems ugly to me.

Wouldn't surprise me to see him level out at this production for career which is decent but not star worthy.

There's a distinct line in the sand of people who understand what they are watching and people who don't. What you see when you watch Reinhart is that line. If you miss his all around play and awareness...that's on you. If you don't notice that his seemingly easy goals are almost always set up by a decision he made earlier in the shift...that's on you too.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I don't know if he is still a prospect at this point. But I think Buffalo made the right choice picking Sam 2nd in the 2014 draft. 18 goals is great, but this guy impresses me for things that do not show up on the scoresheet. Like the screen on Eichel's goal last night that he did not get an assist on.

He's one of my favourite players to watch because he is so cerebral in his approach to the game.

McNurse

Sep 2, 2015
I'm actually really surprised with how much he goes to the net for the screen/deflection, I always saw him more as a very smart two way playmaker. I'm glad he's showing this kind of play in his game

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
That's where Bylsma plays him.

Bylsma does a lot of things.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I don't know if he is still a prospect at this point. But I think Buffalo made the right choice picking Sam 2nd in the 2014 draft. 18 goals is great, but this guy impresses me for things that do not show up on the scoresheet. Like the screen on Eichel's goal last night that he did not get an assist on.

He's one of my favourite players to watch because he is so cerebral in his approach to the game.

He's our best net-front guy not only in deflections but in creating successful screens. He's been successful with it right from the start of the season. He does lots of other little things that don't show up in the assist column but are crucial to the creation of the goals he's out there for.

Is he more of a winger now?

I wouldn't say so. It's just where he's been put by the coach this season.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Does anyone have a GIF of his pass to Eichel in the Calgary game (last night, 3/3/16) where Eichel catches it down by the crease, goes behind the net and almost scores on the wraparound?

Also from that Calgary game, does anyone have a GIF of his pass to Girgensons in the crease where Girgensons shoots it wide on the empty cage?

Those examples would be like shorthand versions of "this is what Reinhart can do." Really though, you would need something like an NFL "All 22" breakdown to explain why Sam Reinhart is actually good, not actually bad.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
There's a distinct line in the sand of people who understand what they are watching and people who don't. What you see when you watch Reinhart is that line. If you miss his all around play and awareness...that's on you. If you don't notice that his seemingly easy goals are almost always set up by a decision he made earlier in the shift...that's on you too.

I love this post. Sam Reinhart is a litmus test.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
My biggest knock on Reinhart is he really needs to continue working on his strength (I have no doubt he will get there). He is obviously willing to sit in front of the net and go into the corners but he needs to go into the corners with more authority. He is a little soft at times. But his decision making and ability to quickly distribute the puck is top notch. I constantly see him take bad passes from his teammates in tight situations and he knows where to distribute the puck before it even arrives. As good as he has been in front of the net I wish Buffalo would give him more opportunity to be a playmaker on the PP. I wouldn't be surprised if Reinhart became a consistent 65+ point guy and I wouldn't be surprised if he sat around 40-55 his entire career. But one thing is for sure he is going to be a good player to have on your team regardless of his peak point totals.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
He's in such a good spot to develop quietly. Everything about Reinhart is quiet. He's the anti-Eichel and he's going to eventually provide something that Buffalo finds essential. He's a special player. Not a lot of chatter about how much he has improved his game in a calendar year. When his body catches up to his brain, it's going to be really interesting to see how high he can go.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
He's in such a good spot to develop quietly. Everything about Reinhart is quiet. He's the anti-Eichel and he's going to eventually provide something that Buffalo finds essential. He's a special player. Not a lot of chatter about how much he has improved his game in a calendar year. When his body catches up to his brain, it's going to be really interesting to see how high he can go.

Allow me to caveat this, in that I'm not comparing the current players to the past in regards to how they play but that the way I see it, is that he will be the modern version of Hawerchuk to Eichel's LaFontaine. Now I strictly mean it as in the late 80's / early 90's Hawerchuk flew under the radar compared to LaFontaine even though both we equally important to the franchise.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
I remember watching him at the 2011 Canada winter games and thinking one day he would be a star. Looks like he is well on his way. Wasn't him to score so much so soon

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
2 Assists for Reinhart tonight and both high quality assists. I know this is a broken record coming from me. But this guy just keeps on impressing me.

Sabre fans have a real good one here. Love watching Sam play. He's a chess master on the ice.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Love the sacrifice of the body to block a shot very late in the game by Sam. These are things that consistently make Sam a player you cannot simply measure by reading boxscores.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
C/RW Sam Reinhart II (2014, 2nd, BUF)

Leave this up to the Mods if Sam should still be considered a prospect or not.

But I was very impressed with him tonight. 2 quality assists on goals, but just as more for what won't show up in the box scores. Loved the puck battle win at the blue line to clear the puck out of the zone and the late game shot block sacrificing his body to retain the tie so the game could go into OT.

This kid is a good one. Definitely trending up towards one of the top #2 picks in 2014.

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
We don't give him enough credit.

It's a real shame he'll be a third line center.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
We don't give him enough credit.

It's a real shame he'll be a third line center.

Is that really his fate? From what I've seen this year, he's looked decent - the Sabres would get more value for him trading him than using him as their 3C, no?

Having said that, I haven't followed the team closely enough to know what their plan is for him and he's still a first year player.

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
Is that really his fate? From what I've seen this year, he's looked decent - the Sabres would get more value for him trading him than using him as their 3C, no?

Having said that, I haven't followed the team closely enough to know what their plan is for him and he's still a first year player.
ROR and Eichel are centers and demand 1st PP. Do the math.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->