C Ryder Rolston - Waterloo Black Hawks, USHL (2020, 139th, COL, traded to CHI)

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I really liked what I saw from Ryder the games I have seen him in the past few months. I wasn't that high on him a year ago, and thought he has gotten to this point mainly based off his last name. I have to admit he is proving me wrong and looks like a legit player that should be considered a top forward for the 2020 draft. That draft is 2 years out, so not sure how he stacks up, but he has the skill and work ethic to be a top player in a few years. Hopefully he keeps improving now that he has more of a top role with the u-17 since the call ups.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I agree. I was impressed during the most recent tournament. It underscores how much depth this team has offensively. The top guy Hughes was promoted, the secondary guys are Turcotte, Caufield, Boldy. Now Turcotte and Caufield were promoted, and Boldy, Zegras, Rolston are very capable of leading the offense. All will likely be 1st round picks.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
He has been more noticeable since all the promotions to the U18's happened. I am amazed that the U17 squad has continued to look so good after losing basically its top 5 players. It speaks both to the talent of this group and the coaching, IMO. John Wroblewski has done a fine job coaching this team.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
So is he like a genetic cross of Michael Ryder and Brian Rolston?! :huh:

...that's two of my least favorite former Devils, but Lou Lams will probably offer him a huge contract.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
He has been more noticeable since all the promotions to the U18's happened. I am amazed that the U17 squad has continued to look so good after losing basically its top 5 players. It speaks both to the talent of this group and the coaching, IMO. John Wroblewski has done a fine job coaching this team.

it is a crazy deep group. I know some of these kids will level off as they usually do year in and year out, but this 2001 group could possibly be the deepest we have had since the 97's...and we all know what the 97's have been doing since.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Slow start to the season, but he had two goals last night. He's been on some lower lines to start the season, which makes no sense. The lines all season haven't made much sense to me, but I'm not the coach, so I don't know what happens in practice.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
He had a good game last night against Michigan. He really stepped it up in the 2nd half of last season after all the promotions on the U17 team. Nice to see him continuing to make a presence.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
he is almost a forgotten name here, but can't really blame that as his daft is another year away, but good posts guys, he is definitely a top name for 2020...love the way he goes to the net and that shot coming down the wing...yikes!

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
He's probably been the most improved player on the NTDP squad. He was scratched for all of the world hockey challenge games last year. Since then he's been a completely different player and plays a nice role on the U18's.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not having a good season, and I think his draft-stock for 2020 is dropping, although he has another season to go.

He's a very good goal-scorer. He has a good shot and good hands to score around the net to go along with good skating and 1v1 moves, but I think his hockey IQ is questionable, he doesn't play much defense and he's not a big playmaker. Classic goal-scoring winger.

I wonder where he'll play his hockey next year. With a good season next year, I could see him picked in the mid-first. Otherwise, he might be more of a late first/early second.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Not having a good season, and I think his draft-stock for 2020 is dropping, although he has another season to go.

He's a very good goal-scorer. He has a good shot and good hands to score around the net to go along with good skating and 1v1 moves, but I think his hockey IQ is questionable, he doesn't play much defense and he's not a big playmaker. Classic goal-scoring winger.

I wonder where he'll play his hockey next year. With a good season next year, I could see him picked in the mid-first. Otherwise, he might be more of a late first/early second.
Having not seen him play at all but going on word of mouth, I was under the assumption he was the top American prospect for next season. I think I saw Kreider comparisons, which would be a definite top-15 pick if true. Do you think anyone has firmly passed him at this point?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Having not seen him play at all but going on word of mouth, I was under the assumption he was the top American prospect for next season. I think I saw Kreider comparisons, which would be a definite top-15 pick if true. Do you think anyone has firmly passed him at this point?

Bordeleau, Stranges and Sanderson should be ranked ahead of him, in my opinion.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's been demoted to the 17's today. I suspect that'll be for the rest of the season, as well. Usually once a player is demoted, they stay there for the rest of the season.

He hasn't had a great season and part of that is that he hasn't played as well this season as most thought he would, but the coach has done him no favors. He's elevated players with less talent like Gildon, Moynihan, Lindmark to higher roles. I've been saying for months that I think the 18's coach is trying to get all his players drafted. Rolston isn't a 2019 draft-eligible, so its easier to demote him.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
He's been demoted to the 17's today. I suspect that'll be for the rest of the season, as well. Usually once a player is demoted, they stay there for the rest of the season.

He hasn't had a great season and part of that is that he hasn't played as well this season as most thought he would, but the coach has done him no favors. He's elevated players with less talent like Gildon, Moynihan, Lindmark to higher roles. I've been saying for months that I think the 18's coach is trying to get all his players drafted. Rolston isn't a 2019 draft-eligible, so its easier to demote him.

Who’s coming up to replace him? Bordeleau or Smilanic? Maybe it’s someone else but I would figure it’s one of those 2?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
not a fan of the demotion., I think a few others are more warranted for it. Rolston looked so good early on, not sure what happened or why he was the one demoted, but hopefully he uses it as further motivation for next year and beyond.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
First line minutes on a worse team against the same level of competition.

A goal and nine shots on goal.
He also made a couple of other nice setups that didn’t result in scores. His attempt in the shootout, though, wasn’t good... but neither was anyone else’s on the team. It was the worst collection of shootout attempts I can remember seeing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad