C/RW Jack Roslovic (2015, 25th, WPG)

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
London could definitely use Jack, and they'd have a nice looking team once again next year.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think Roslovic might push for an AHL spot next season (a la Sonny Milano). He looks to have developed substantially in the past year and might be ready to develop as a pro. Otherwise, I think he'd be fine developing as a C in London. I think he'll be a top-end player in the OHL.

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta
I'd like to see him in the AHL. The moose could really use some better players, and he played in the NCAA so I think he can transition to the AHL well

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario
I hope he ends up in London, then i can see him play some games live (live about an hour from London). Also think playing for London and dominating the OHL (even if Tkachuk sticks with Calgary, London is always one of the top teams) will help his development.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think Roslovic might push for an AHL spot next season (a la Sonny Milano). He looks to have developed substantially in the past year and might be ready to develop as a pro. Otherwise, I think he'd be fine developing as a C in London. I think he'll be a top-end player in the OHL.
Have a feeling with Kuokannen on the Knights, Roslovic might end up on the RW (if Marner ends up in the NHL).Knights are deep on the LW with Tkachuk and Jones, which makes it likely Kuokannen ends up at center. They also probably keep Pu centring Max Jones, with someone like Piccinich.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Have a feeling with Kuokannen on the Knights, Roslovic might end up on the RW (if Marner ends up in the NHL).Knights are deep on the LW with Tkachuk and Jones, which makes it likely Kuokannen ends up at center. They also probably keep Pu centring Max Jones, with someone like Piccinich.

Roslovic projects as an NHL centre, and I'm pretty sure the Jets want to develop him there. If the Knights want to play him at RW I'd probably prefer him developing in the AHL. He'll certainly be better than the rest of the Knights' options at C.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Roslovic projects as an NHL centre, and I'm pretty sure the Jets want to develop him there. If the Knights want to play him at RW I'd probably prefer him developing in the AHL. He'll certainly be better than the rest of the Knights' options at C.
They could move Pu over to the right, but you gotta realize once you loan him to them he's there for the year. Knights at the end of the day will do what is in their best interests at that point. When Roslovic played with Tkachuk he primarily played RW, so it wouldn't be a surprise to see him there. Right now the Knights depth lines up in a way were its a realistic scenario Roslovic ends up on the RW, due to the strength they have down the LW making Kuokannen a Center most likely. There is the off chance either Robert Thomas gets a top 6 role on the RW or they make a move for a big name RWer in Sarnia.

Leafs were expecting Marner to get reps at center this year and the lines weren't clicking, and he ended up playing RW almost the entire year.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
They could move Pu over to the right, but you gotta realize once you loan him to them he's there for the year. Knights at the end of the day will do what is in their best interests at that point. When Roslovic played with Tkachuk he primarily played RW, so it wouldn't be a surprise to see him there. Right now the Knights depth lines up in a way were its a realistic scenario Roslovic ends up on the RW, due to the strength they have down the LW making Kuokannen a Center most likely. There is the off chance either Robert Thomas gets a top 6 role on the RW or they make a move for a big name RWer in Sarnia.

Leafs were expecting Marner to get reps at center this year and the lines weren't clicking, and he ended up playing RW almost the entire year.

If he is going to play wing in London then I hope he goes to the AHL and plays C there. I think he'll be a C in the NHL, and perhaps a very good one.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Interesting that the Jets weren't prepared to offer anything to Roslovic in terms of a contract until they saw him at the development camp. Very interesting. Of course, our little stat-watching birdie prognosticated this maneuver before the Jets did, apparently.

Wherever he plays, I'm going to be excited. He'll have a better chance to develop as a player in the OHL on a top team in the league versus a Miami RedHawks squad that looks middling. Of course, there's the argument that you're not going to develop properly if you don't continually push yourself against better and better competition, which is why I think conventional wisdom would dictate that he joins the Manitoba Moose instead of the London Knights. Still, he has the potential to play top line minutes in over 50 OHL games, a whole slate of playoff games, a memorial cup run, and play in the WJCs. That's a lot more hockey than just the 30ish games that he played with Miami, and it could potentially allow him to develop further as a center against weaker competitiom, because he's played right wing the majority of the past two seasons.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Winnipeg Jets' first-rounder visits Budweiser Gardens to get acquainted with London Knights:

http://www.lfpress.com/2016/07/20/w...gardens-to-get-acquainted-with-london-knights

Interesting that the Jets weren't prepared to offer anything to Roslovic in terms of a contract until they saw him at the development camp. Very interesting. Of course, our little stat-watching birdie prognosticated this maneuver before the Jets did, apparently.

Wherever he plays, I'm going to be excited. He'll have a better chance to develop as a player in the OHL on a top team in the league versus a Miami RedHawks squad that looks middling. Of course, there's the argument that you're not going to develop properly if you don't continually push yourself against better and better competition, which is why I think conventional wisdom would dictate that he joins the Manitoba Moose instead of the London Knights. Still, he has the potential to play top line minutes in over 50 OHL games, a whole slate of playoff games, a memorial cup run, and play in the WJCs. That's a lot more hockey than just the 30ish games that he played with Miami, and it could potentially allow him to develop further as a center against weaker competitiom, because he's played right wing the majority of the past two seasons.

I think that there's a pretty good chance that Roslovic cracks the AHL roster, as Milano did last season. As noted in the article, the decision will be up to the Jets. I really doubt that the Jets will want to keep him in London to play as a RW in his draft+2 season. He would be the best C on the Knights, but if they aren't committed to play him at C then I think he'll be fine in the AHL.

Many observers (including me) were wowed by him at the Development Camp. Apparently, the Jets' hockey personnel had the same impression. He was absolutely dynamic playing C in that setting.

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta

Yah, skating circles around guys like Logan Stanley and all the 5th round defensemen the Jets have is pretty darn impressive. :sarcasm:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yah, skating circles around guys like Logan Stanley and all the 5th round defensemen the Jets have is pretty darn impressive. :sarcasm:

You appear to think that watching a prospect practice and play for several hours against a range of players (including some older AHL and NCAA prospects) can't provide any insights into a player's development and competency. I think you're wrong. It didn't take much work to see that Roslovic had developed substantially over the past year, and that he has top-end potential.

I'm curious, have you had the opportunity to get out and watch Development Camps live or are you just throwing out this opinion without further context?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
wouldn't Kuokannen be more likely to move to the wing between him and Roslovic?
Kuokannen is a LWer, Roslovic a RWer. Current the Knights LWers are Tkachuk and Matt Jones, whereas unless Marner returns there best RWer is unclear.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Kuokannen is a LWer, Roslovic a RWer. Current the Knights LWers are Tkachuk and Matt Jones, whereas unless Marner returns there best RWer is unclear.

So, Kuokannen can't make their top two lines on LW so he should play #1C?

Roslovic is almost certainly going to be a much better C than Kuokkanen next season. The #1C position is more important than filling in the RW. It would seem more logical to shift another prospect over to RW to make room for Roslovic.

It is pretty clear that the Jets are planning to develop Roslovic as a C, so I expect that if he's consigned to RW with the Knights the Jets might determine that it would be better for him to develop as a C in the AHL.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
So, Kuokannen can't make their top two lines on LW so he should play #1C?

Roslovic is almost certainly going to be a much better C than Kuokkanen next season. The #1C position is more important than filling in the RW. It would seem more logical to shift another prospect over to RW to make room for Roslovic.

It is pretty clear that the Jets are planning to develop Roslovic as a C, so I expect that if he's consigned to RW with the Knights the Jets might determine that it would be better for him to develop as a C in the AHL.
He'll probably get a shot at C. But, he could easily be moved to the wing at some point to balance out the line-up. As stated, Leafs sent Marner back expecting him to get more time at center. For whatever reason it didn't work and he was moved back to the wing. Its not like once he's there the Jets can recall him if they move him to the wing.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
He'll probably get a shot at C. But, he could easily be moved to the wing at some point to balance out the line-up. As stated, Leafs sent Marner back expecting him to get more time at center. For whatever reason it didn't work and he was moved back to the wing. Its not like once he's there the Jets can recall him if they move him to the wing.

It's interesting because it's not like Marner didn't have a hell of a development year anyways but with Matthews being drafted my guess is one of Nylander or Marner will be RW for sure now pending Leafs long term plans with Kadri I guess? My thoughts are Marner is a great playmaking, play driving, scoring winger in the mold of a Patrick Kane type so why force that creative talent into a centres role?

The problem with the Knights route for Roslo is they are very good team and they play to win now not develope prospects for NHL teams at all costs like AHL teams do.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
The problem with the Knights route for Roslo is they are very good team and they play to win now not develope prospects for NHL teams at all costs like AHL teams do.

But yet, they've done it better than any one over the last 10-15 years ;) The # of future NHLers weve seen develop here is an impressive list. It includes 4 yr kids, 1 year kids, kidsalready nhl drafted and ohl free agent signings. They develop future pros while winning games. Its been said over n over and proven to br true that their goal asan org is too get playerspro ready.

Agreed with your first paragraph that I left out. Id leave Marner on RW.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I'm sure if the Jets say "centre or he's in the AHL", Hunter will put Roslovic at centre.

If not, I think he'll be best served on RW, based on positional depth.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm sure if the Jets say "centre or he's in the AHL", Hunter will put Roslovic at centre.

If not, I think he'll be best served on RW, based on positional depth.

He'd be easily the best C on the Knights. The Jets want to develop him at C. If the Knights decide to play him at RW because they have too many LWs it would be kinda silly.

It might be a moot point. I won't be surprised if Roslovic is good enough in camp and pre-season to convince the Jets to put him straight in the AHL. They could still let him play in the World Juniors and control his development in Winnipeg with the Moose.

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
He'd be easily the best C on the Knights. The Jets want to develop him at C. If the Knights decide to play him at RW because they have too many LWs it would be kinda silly.

It might be a moot point. I won't be surprised if Roslovic is good enough in camp and pre-season to convince the Jets to put him straight in the AHL. They could still let him play in the World Juniors and control his development in Winnipeg with the Moose.

I'm just curious, did Winnipeg draft him wanting to play C? He played NTDP and Miami as a RW did he not, so why the change now?
I'm with you though, if Roslovic signs with London then he should clearly be the #1 centre. Hopefully with Tkachuk and Marner on his wings, although I'd be happy with Piccinich or Sherwood there too. Kuokkenen can be the #2 C with Jones and Pu on his wings.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I'm just curious, did Winnipeg draft him wanting to play C? He played NTDP and Miami as a RW did he not, so why the change now?
I'm with you though, if Roslovic signs with London then he should clearly be the #1 centre. Hopefully with Tkachuk and Marner on his wings, although I'd be happy with Piccinich or Sherwood there too. Kuokkenen can be the #2 C with Jones and Pu on his wings.

Yeah, I agree with you on that one. Roslovic would, imo, easily be the best C on the team.

Marner i don't see back - but i've been wrong before.

I agree that he'd be the best C on the team. And the Knights don't ignore the views of the teams of which the players are under contract (see McCarron). Obviously things are never absolute - and I'm sure that the Jets are sophisticated enough to know that.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad