C Quinton Byfield - Sudbury Wolves, OHL (2020 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
This kid is a monster, size wise and statistically. This 2020 draft class looks to have some crazy high end talent in Lafreniere, Byfield and Holtz.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Was a complete beast this past weekend.

I don't think i've ever seen a player this large, with such great quick twitch athleticism. The way he bursts through openings to gain the puck, while he's at a stand still, is the kind of thing that makes you stand up in your seat.

Reactions: Puckclektr

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
He's got two 80 tools, imo. Skating(more specifically, his first few steps) and his athleticism on the ice.

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
Listened to a recent THN podcast and one scout compared him to Eric Lindros. Is this just hyperbole or a good comparison? I imagine he lacks the meanness that Lindros had?

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit
Listened to a recent THN podcast and one scout compared him to Eric Lindros. Is this just hyperbole or a good comparison? I imagine he lacks the meanness that Lindros had?

He has self admitted that he needs to play a more physical game so, I'd say he has the physical attributes, but maybe not the meanness you're speaking of.

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
From what I've read, he's got good character, model teammate, and makes other players around him better, too.
He can be lazy, sometimes selfish, and held YSE hostage to get the coach he wanted.

You read wrong.

Fantastic hockey player though.....when he’s putting in effort he’s absolutely brilliant to watch.

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit
He can be lazy, sometimes selfish, and held YSE hostage to get the coach he wanted.

You read wrong.

Fantastic hockey player though.....when he’s putting in effort he’s absolutely brilliant to watch.

Like many things, sometimes it comes down to opinion and/or observation, but unless your disputing my reading comprehension... I know what I read.

1967th Heaven

Aug 31, 2012
Saw him play this past weekend in Aurora. Lived up to the hype, fantastic player and has clearly outgrown MM AAA. His explosiveness for his size is remarkable.

If I had to nitpick one thing it would be that he didn't use his size and strength in the corners as much as I expected. Can others who have seen him play more often comment on this? Maybe it was just an off game (he did get a penalty for head contact early on so maybe he was holding back, idk)

Regardless, very exciting prospect!

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Hmmm...I'd say say that using angles and his strength to retrieve pucks, is one the hallmarks of his game.

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
You guys think he's going 1st overall in the next OHL draft?
Yes and it’s not even close.

Although I made the statement he can be lazy and sometimes selfish, that is solely based on my observations of him in MM AAA. It could very well be that he’s simply so far ahead of the curve at this level, he just isn’t sufficiently challenged. His game should mature when he moves to junior.

Regardless he’s an absolutely phenomenal player and barring any major development regression, I’d say it’s a safe bet he’s playing in the NHL within 3-5 years.

Last edited:

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
Like many things, sometimes it comes down to opinion and/or observation, but unless your disputing my reading comprehension... I know what I read.
Guess I worded that wrong. I meant in the sense I believe what you read in the article to be incorrect.......I’m sure your reading comprehension is fine :)

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit
Guess I worded that wrong. I meant in the sense I believe what you read in the article to be incorrect.......I’m sure your reading comprehension is fine :)

No biggie. I'm glad someone can add to the conversation who ACTUALLY has seen him play. I must admit I'm a bit jealous of most Canadians, because you guys get to see so much more good amateur hockey.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I've heard likely winger at the next level? What do people think of his chances of remaining at the dot?

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I have watched YSE play for a long time as they are the local AAA team. This kid is the real deal.
As for the Lindros comparison, it is one that I have used. Maybe not utilizing his size in the corners as much as Lindros but he will use his body often and he is tough to knock off.
The comparison I see is that when he skates through the neautral zone across the blueline with so much power and speed using his size and reach similar to Lindros. You will be surprised when it comes to his speed. He may very well be the fastest skater in the draft. He can wheel and his hard to stop. He has excellent acceleration in his first few steps and is surprising very agile for his size.
He had a nice shot, but still has hands that can beat a goalie often as well. He can use both options and be successful.
He has excellent vision and is often setting guys up for gimmes. He knows how to draw players towards him creating opening for other players making it easy for them to get open for a pass.
He also has a strong two way game and will fight hard to take the puck off of you. Unlike Mcdavid at that age who was obviously much better but gave up quite a bit when he lost the puck. Byfield will get it back.

I have also watched the marlies a lot. Moore and Drysdale are not on the same level. Although I rate them as better prospects than Vierling on YSE, they are closer to him on a talent level than Byfield. That's not saying anything bad about them as Vierling may possibly go #2. Some people have drysdale #2. I personally like Moore better and would take him over drysdale. But Byfield is clearly above anyone else and if you see him this weekend at the OHL cup you will see why.

TheNorth

Better Call Saul
Feb 16, 2010
Hope he isn't a diva and comes to my city lol, think we got something good going in Sudbury

Petey3329

May 27, 2008
For what it’s worth he grew up in Georgina and moved to newmarket I think 2 years ago.

As for his game this past weekend in the OMHA to me he really stepped up. His defensive game and face off wins were something that stood out for me. In previous viewings he would quit on plays but this weekend he was outstanding. I have a sense he does get bored sometimes but he is super talented. Reminds me of Matt duchess at the same age (not in styles or size) just the fact that his speed and hands make you stand up in awe.

Loves vierling as well silky smooth player and tolnai and murray from Oakville.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
He's come as advertised in my viewings of him. Big frame. If he could use it a little but more he would be absolutely dominant (not that he isn't already).

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
I just don't see the argument for putting him on the wing. He should have the puck on his stick as much as possible, as he's a superb playmaker. Basketball term, but he's a floor general out there.

Reactions: 99664987
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad