C Otto Somppi - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2016, 206th, TBL)

db56

May 19, 2013
novascotia
i am suprised that this wasnt brought up but he have 16 goals and 41 assist. he leads the qmjhl with a plus 30

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Full speed all the time and gets into every board battle with the desire to win them. Stronger faster and heavier this year yet somehow gets all those points very quietly while Lavoie Zadina and Fortier do the highlight reel things. He has a good shot as well and bags some beauts of his own. Should have been at the WJC but while he was here led the team to a long win streak and first overall in QMJHL.

Last edited:

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
Somppi's QMJHL season:
  • 1st in +/- (despite playing less games than most)
  • #1C in one of the top teams while playing with a two-way style and with big minutes in special teams
  • 4th in points
  • 4th in PPG (ahead of Filip Zadina, behind Drake Batherson)
  • 7th most faceoff wins
  • assistant captain and very consistent effort every night
Do Finnish WJC team have even scouts watching these games or any input of their performance? How much do they monitor players development in the Canadian Hockey League or North America in general? When I will get hired? It seemed like the roster decisions were made after previous international tournaments which were about two years ago in case of Somppi.

It was Joni Ikonen who should have never been called for the WJC. It was obvious from day one. The team would have been so much better had him and someone like Kupari been out instead of Somppi and Luostarinen. Luostarinen and Somppi would have been better than those two in every given role. Shocking decisions.

Reactions: Ippenator

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Yeah, I didn't post this because I am tired of whining about the choices for WJC. So many mistakes that are really sad. Somppi would have been on my team.
What the hell happened to Ahokas really? I thought after the U18 world championships gold in 2016 that he would be a pretty good coach. But in this years U20 tournament the guy was pretty much an imbecil.

First of all he made some absolutely idiotic player choices. Dropping Kotkaniemi, Luostarinen, Nyman and Somppi were absolutely brainfarts. And he kept going on with the same stupidity with his player deployment, and playing style in the tournament. Pretty much an atrocious coach in that tournament. Probably the U18 gold was after all much more because of Puljujärvi than I wanted to admit, and also Tolvanen being then in absolute top form.

Somppi was also in fact very good in that tournament. And has developed clearly a lot after that, so how the HELL you can leave him AND Luostarinen out of the team with the centers that Finland had? I mean WTF!?

Reactions: Hockeyisl1fe

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Pretty sweet season so far for Somppi. What an answer though to the drop,
since the u20 final camp roster was released; 7+18=25 +8 (1.92 ppg)

Season totals so far: 41 games, 18 goals, 42 assists, +32
- ranks 3rd in QMJHL scoring, 1 point behind 2nd.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Both goals were REAL nice. I feel fortunate to have seen the wrap around up close and personal

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Awesome goal! Hopefully he is the next real late round gem for the Lightning. So far he has all the looks of one. Now he just needs to carry that play over to the AHL..

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
So Somppi did a "ilmaveivi" goal. MiGranlund's one is the most unique (and the best) one
but this one, is one of the best.

68 points in 47 games (close to 1.5 ppg)
55 5 on 5 points, not sure is it league leading,
but still frigging awesome.

Really good at face-offs, 58,1%. 66,7% in shootouts this season
great skater, has size (6 foot 2).

Crazy that Somppi got snubbed from this years world juniors.

Last edited:

DeeVeeUss

Apr 12, 2017
Naples, FL
So Somppi did a "ilmaveivi" goal. MiGranlund's one is the most unique (and the best) one
but this one, is one of the best.

68 points in 47 games (close to 1.5 ppg)
55 5 on 5 points, not sure is it league leading,
but still frigging awesome.

Really good at face-offs, 58,1%. 66,7% in shootouts this season
great skater, has size (6 foot 2).

Crazy that Somppi got snubbed from this years world juniors.
Crazy that SY hasn't offered him ELC. What a find in the 7th

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Somppi gets 2 goals, so another multi-point game for Otto.
13 goals, 24 assists in his last 20 games (1.85 ppg)

- both of his goals were 5 on 5 goals -

3rd in QMJHL scoring with 75 points, still 2 behind 2nd place.
leads the league in +/- +36

- 6 points ahead of Zadina -

PS. leads the league in SH points (2+4=6) 3 player T

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->