RW Oliver Wahlstrom - Boston College, NCAA (2018, 11th, NYI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Wahlstrom's mom is American. He doesn't speak Swedish. He's lived his entire life in the US and developed as a hockey player here. His dad is an American citizen that has lived in the US longer than he lived in Sweden. I can see why the IIHF would rather a player like that play for Team USA.

Oh then why are people even arguing for him playing for Sweden? thats like Jake Virtanen playing for Finland

Are there any recent videos of his play?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
No, he doesn't have a choice. He couldn't represent Sweden even if he wanted to.

So basically since Philip and Victoria Samuelsson were born in Sweden they have that option but the same doesn't apply to Henrik? Is there are certain amount of years one must reside in one country?

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
So basically since Philip and Victoria Samuelsson were born in Sweden they have that option but the same doesn't apply to Henrik? Is there are certain amount of years one must reside in one country?

Here's what I found among a series of IIHF rule changes from 2014:

The eligibility rules for players with multiple citizenships have been adjusted. A player wanting to represent a country and hasn’t played for another country before, needs to have played two consecutive hockey seasons and 16 consecutive months (480 days, old: 730 days) in the national competitions of the country he wants to represent after his 10th (old: 12th) birthday. Female players need to have participated on a consistent basis for at least one hockey season and have been member of the new national association for at least 12 consecutive months during that period.

http://www.iihfworlds2014.com/en/news/new-rules-approved/

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Here's what I found among a series of IIHF rule changes from 2014:

After the 10th birthday, interesting thanks. Hence why you see players representing countries they have no link to like Kevin Lalande with Belarus, not sure I like that. Though I'm ok with for example players of a certain origin i.e Canadian with Italian roots representing Italy, or the cases of Wahlstrom and the Samuelssons. Regardless Wahlstrom cannot represent Sweden right now it would seem.

saintflannel

Oct 6, 2011
He was drafted by the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles this morning at the 2016 QMJHL Entry Draft.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If Wahlstrom and Wilde both report to Harvard, what a coup that would be.
Think Wahlstrom is year behind where he should be, so if he's the prospect people think he is, I think he fast tracks and goes to a school with lesser academic standards or goes the CHL route. No elite USNDP products spend a 3rd year in the USHL, which is the postion Wahlstrom is in, if I remember correctly.

USHOCKEYUS

Sep 16, 2014
Think Wahlstrom is year behind where he should be, so if he's the prospect people think he is, I think he fast tracks and goes to a school with lesser academic standards or goes the CHL route. No elite USNDP products spend a 3rd year in the USHL, which is the postion Wahlstrom is in, if I remember correctly.

He's been accelerating. Good chance he finishes this upcoming school year with most if not of all 11th grade classes completed.

wein

Jul 2, 2013
There was rumblings he may go CHL to a team like Moncton.

Yeah, there is a reason Cape Breton picked him so early. I assume they heard he was genuinely considering the CHL and assumed that best case scenario be reports to Cape Breton but they could trade him for a ransom if he does in fact want to come to the CHL but only certain teams.

I heard Moncton were very interested in both he and Walsh. Makes sense that they would have used one of their 3 5th round picks on him if he had lasted

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Yeah, there is a reason Cape Breton picked him so early. I assume they heard he was genuinely considering the CHL and assumed that best case scenario be reports to Cape Breton but they could trade him for a ransom if he does in fact want to come to the CHL but only certain teams.

I heard Moncton were very interested in both he and Walsh. Makes sense that they would have used one of their 3 5th round picks on him if he had lasted
Yeah I saw that Moncton was Linked to him.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011

Leave Walsh alone!!!!! He will be perfectly happy in Cedar Rapids!

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
His NTDP career has started off well. 5 goals in 5 games so far, including this snipe:

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
That goal was filthy, he could end up being the best player on that U17 team by the end of the year. Not a slight on others like Wise, but he could really take off.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
The USHL does a horrible job with highlights, just a few highlight reel goals from the prior weekends. Hope they change that at some point and have a database of highlights of every game.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
He was a guy I was watching at U17 World Challenge - he was completely invisible. Prior to the start of the U17/NTDP season a couple of people told me he'd 'make people forget about Wise'. I get the sample size is small...but still...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad