C Nolan Patrick (2017, 2nd, PHI) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
As a Devils fan I'm happy to see NP playing well. And I'm really looking forward to next year when we can team up with Flyers fans to label Elias Pettersson a bust and rub it in the face of all the Canucks homers.

Couldn't care less.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Not bad for a bust.
are you guys going to do this when he scores every time?? Saw a lot of silence when he didn't score for weeks at a time..

he is 26th overall in rookie scoring...26th....for a 2nd overall pick. I would stay pretty silent on him and hope he just shows up next year and plays like he needs to - not for a 12 game stretch but for the entire year.

hopefully he does as the game needs more and more offensive talent, but this has been a horrible year for Patrick and anyone saying otherwise is just being a blind homer...(yes I know of his injuries as well, not calling him a horrible player, just having a horrible year).

I am sure the attacks will come from Flyers fans, it is all good, wish the kid all the best, but he has a long long way to go.

RANKKA

Give Glaude the world
Apr 11, 2017
EU
are you guys going to do this when he scores every time?? Saw a lot of silence when he didn't score for weeks at a time..

he is 26th overall in rookie scoring...26th....for a 2nd overall pick. I would stay pretty silent on him and hope he just shows up next year and plays like he needs to - not for a 12 game stretch but for the entire year.

hopefully he does as the game needs more and more offensive talent, but this has been a horrible year for Patrick and anyone saying otherwise is just being a blind homer...(yes I know of his injuries as well, not calling him a horrible player, just having a horrible year).

I am sure the attacks will come from Flyers fans, it is all good, wish the kid all the best, but he has a long long way to go.
how many games have you watched?

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013

Thanks for keeping my emotions in check. I was getting irrationally excited

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
are you guys going to do this when he scores every time??.

tenor.gif

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA

I believe that your expectations were warped. Is that an attack?

Anyone without blinders on knew that the kid was coming in with awful conditioning; my bar was something like 30 points if he had stayed completely healthy.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I believe that your expectations were warped. Is that an attack?

Anyone without blinders on knew that the kid was coming in with awful conditioning; my bar was something like 30 points if he had stayed completely healthy.

my expectations of him are below your 30 points....I didn't think he would have a good year this year...I still don't think he will have a good year next year either...it isn't his conditioning that was my issue...I just do not think he is that good of a player, he will be a NHLer but not a top line guy that many will expect from a 2nd overall pick.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
my expectations of him are below your 30 points....I didn't think he would have a good year this year...I still don't think he will have a good year next year either...it isn't his conditioning that was my issue...I just do not think he is that good of a player, he will be a NHLer but not a top line guy that many will expect from a 2nd overall pick.
If he was American you would be whole-heartedly advocating him as being the next superstar.

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013

Ellipses abound. This must be a hot take

mja

Jan 7, 2005

He's easily going to smash apart your expectations. I just don't understand how anyone watches him play and doesn't see that his floor is 2C, and that he's is the middle of establishing himself as a legit 2C as I type this. He's going to have multiple 6o point seasons.

Reactions: onlylordsvsmorebp

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
He's easily going to smash apart your expectations. I just don't understand how anyone watches him play and doesn't see that his floor is 2C, and that he's is the middle of establishing himself as a legit 2C as I type this. He's going to have multiple 6o point seasons.

I honestly don't know. I saw the same thing for his draft year that I do now, the same issues and limitations. He was overused and double shifted (granted a lot of top players in the CHL do as well), but a lot of his goals that I saw came from him playing a 2-3 minute shift. I didn't see an elite shot, I saw about average wheels, I saw average hockey IQ but I did see a lot of effort...he just seemed like a right place right guy kind of player...I will say it 10 more times, I hope he proves me and others wrong, but he has a long way to go to do so...and lets see how he does the final 20 games before we call him a future top 6 center for the next decade or a bust....he is clearly somewhere in the middle right now.

mja

Jan 7, 2005
I honestly don't know. I saw the same thing for his draft year that I do now, the same issues and limitations. He was overused and double shifted (granted a lot of top players in the CHL do as well), but a lot of his goals that I saw came from him playing a 2-3 minute shift. I didn't see an elite shot, I saw about average wheels, I saw average hockey IQ but I did see a lot of effort...he just seemed like a right place right guy kind of player...I will say it 10 more times, I hope he proves me and others wrong, but he has a long way to go to do so...and lets see how he does the final 20 games before we call him a future top 6 center for the next decade or a bust....he is clearly somewhere in the middle right now.

I'm assuming from your join date that you are probably around my age, and have probably been watching hockey for just as long (decades). I don't know how someone watches hockey that long and comes away with those takes. Patrick's absolutely a high IQ player. He combines that with good size, a strong overall skill-set, and yes, average wheels. He's looked way more the part of a 2c the last 20 games or so (beyond just goals and assists) than Brayden Schenn, for example, ever looked during his tenure as a Flyer.

How many of his NHL games have you watched?

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013

:huh:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I'm assuming from your join date that you are probably around my age, and have probably been watching hockey for just as long (decades). I don't know how someone watches hockey that long and comes away with those takes. Patrick's absolutely a high IQ player. He combines that with good size, a strong overall skill-set, and yes, average wheels. He's looked way more the part of a 2c the last 20 games or so (beyond just goals and assists) than Brayden Schenn, for example, ever looked during his tenure as a Flyer.

How many of his NHL games have you watched?

I watched a lot of his games last few years with Brandon, I see a very similar player this year as well. I don't have a total of his games this year, but at least 8-10 on tv and whatever other highlights I typically watch. Rangers and Flyers are my 2 favs out of the East so I try to catch as much of them I can...plus I love watching Ghost play.

The guy has a good work ethic, just not sold on his other abilities yet. As for his hockey IQ, I don't think it is anything great, but that is the case for most young players anyway. He just seems like a player who relied on his size to get where he is, now he has to work on his skill and positioning to produce which he wasn't used to hence his very slow start...you can't just out muscle players at this level, he needs to understand that and realize you have to produce in 30-40 second shifts as opposed to a 90 second shift which some players simply can't, maybe he finally is....you watch him more than me obviously...

and I keep seeing this comment about him looking like a #2C for a 20 game stretch...well he has played over 50 games...he hasn't looked like that prior..he needs to show more than just some stretches, if he continues this for the final 20 games, that gives him a 40 game second half of being a #2C looking player...that I can start to get behind as a bigger body of work. let's see how he finishes up.

Reactions: Thrive

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
I watched a lot of his games last few years with Brandon, I see a very similar player this year as well. I don't have a total of his games this year, but at least 8-10 on tv and whatever other highlights I typically watch. Rangers and Flyers are my 2 favs out of the East so I try to catch as much of them I can...plus I love watching Ghost play.

The guy has a good work ethic, just not sold on his other abilities yet. As for his hockey IQ, I don't think it is anything great, but that is the case for most young players anyway. He just seems like a player who relied on his size to get where he is, now he has to work on his skill and positioning to produce which he wasn't used to hence his very slow start...you can't just out muscle players at this level, he needs to understand that and realize you have to produce in 30-40 second shifts as opposed to a 90 second shift which some players simply can't, maybe he finally is....you watch him more than me obviously...

and I keep seeing this comment about him looking like a #2C for a 20 game stretch...well he has played over 50 games...he hasn't looked like that prior..he needs to show more than just some stretches, if he continues this for the final 20 games, that gives him a 40 game second half of being a #2C looking player...that I can start to get behind as a bigger body of work. let's see how he finishes up.

Your report on Patrick is all over the place. Just watch him play. It's clear that you don't know what you're talking about

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Your report on Patrick is all over the place. Just watch him play. It's clear that you don't know what you're talking about

got it, what you really mean is my take on him is different than yours...and since you obviously only started watching him play since he was a Flyer, I will take my years of viewings of all prospects including him in the WHL over yours since I don't recall reading much of your thoughts on prospects on here before....

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
got it, what you really mean is my take on him is different than yours...and since you obviously only started watching him play since he was a Flyer, I will take my years of viewings of all prospects including him in the WHL over yours since I don't recall reading much of your thoughts on prospects on here before....

Watch some NHL games. Kay?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Watch some NHL games. Kay?
again, you have nothing to come back on...and I was correct as you never watched the kid prior to the NHL and all of your posting seems to be centered around Flyers players/prospects ...so yeah, I am going to move on as your level of knowledge on the player and objectivity of the player is sadly lacking. good day sir.

Reactions: Thrive

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
again, you have nothing to come back on...and I was correct as you never watched the kid prior to the NHL and all of your posting seems to be centered around Flyers players/prospects ...so yeah, I am going to move on as your level of knowledge on the player and objectivity of the player is sadly lacking. good day sir.

Byeeee :)

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
If he was American you would be whole-heartedly advocating him as being the next superstar.

yeah, sure I would be advocating a player 26th overall in rookie scoring as the next superstar.

I don't know why I need to defend myself to you, as I have no clue who you are since I have been on here talking prospects and players for over a decade...but in your few months here have obviously got me pegged. I talk more shit about American players than anyone....annoyingly so to some.

I also have my name on plenty of young Canadian players threads that I started discussion on...but again, ya got me!!! when your player isn't scoring, and a poster has a different view of them, when in doubt just call on Nationalism as the reason why..lol...

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
yeah, sure I would be advocating a player 26th overall in rookie scoring as the next superstar.

I don't know why I need to defend myself to you, as I have no clue who you are since I have been on here talking prospects and players for over a decade...but in your few months here have obviously got me pegged. I talk more **** about American players than anyone....annoyingly so to some.

I also have my name on plenty of young Canadian players threads that I started discussion on...but again, ya got me!!! when your player isn't scoring, and a poster has a different view of them, when in doubt just call on Nationalism as the reason why..lol...

Oh, I thought you left?

Patrick is scoring. Watch a game.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I honestly didn’t expect a whole lot overall from Patrick this year. When we did the point expectations on the Flyers forum coming into the season I had him at around 30 points. He has a 28 point pace in an 82 game season.

The hernia issues which I’m sure disrupted his summer were a concern coming into this year. He was pretty slow in the beginning of the year then he had a concussion which made him miss games. But he’s turned it around since January not just statistically but you can see it in his skating. He’s getting separation with quickness now that wasn’t there early in the season. He’s getting the usage now to do something with playing with Voracek at 5v5 & playing on top PP unit in Simmonds place while he’s out with an injury.

My hope for Patrick long term from the start has been a better defensively Monahan. This year really hasn’t changed that.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey

I don't know why I need to defend myself to you, as I have no clue who you are since I have been on here talking prospects and players for over a decade...but in your few months here have obviously got me pegged. I talk more **** about American players than anyone....annoyingly so to some.

I made a new account on the forum shift. I think I’ve been a poster here 3? years, and I can honestly say that I have only ever seen you have good things to say about Americans - your recent commentary on DeBrincat comes to mind - and, when you do comment on prospects of other nationalities, it’s almost always to caution people away from being excited, point out issues, etc. If I’m incorrect - as I surely am, you know yourself better than I do - then I apologize, but I was just reacting to what I have seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->