C Mikhail Vorobyov - Salavat Yulaev Ufa, KHL (2015, 104th, PHI)

daa5250

May 3, 2016
Philly
Why would his ice time not go up?

And the KHL is a superior league.

Obviously the KHL is a better league than the AHL. That is also a big reason why Vorobyov will likely be able to play a bigger role in the AHL. He may go right into a top 6 big minute role in the AHL which obviously wont happen in the KHL. He may also just be a bottom 6 guy in the AHL but he at least has the opportunity to take a huge big minute role there right away.

Last edited:

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
Have you seen Salavat's centers?

He absolutely could have a top 6 role.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
While everyone is debating what is best for his development, something pretty key is being ignored: maybe Mikhail just wanted to get his career in the Flyers organization underway? Some guys ARE excited to join the organization that drafted them and ARE excited to go to a new place and start the next stage of their career.

As most Flyers fans have said while this was brewing the last few months, he was in a good situation with Salavat. I honestly don't think one situation is better for his development than another. It was win-win, although it's always nice to see your foreign players closer at hand. And it would not shock me to see him on the Flyers, in a bottom 6 role, sooner rather than later. He's a very advanced pro.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Who knows, but it's possible. Or it could be that it goes up, but not by much.

The point is, if he's in Russia the Flyers have no control... if he's in the AHL they have 100% control.

He could easily be up with the Flyers by Christmas, can't do that from Russia.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
All I can say is that I hope he realizes what he's getting himself into. I think he's still 2 years away from an NHL starting job, and making peanuts and riding buses in the AHL is a far cry from the KHL. I mean there's a reason most Russians won't put up with, or won't even go to the AHL for too long.
I think the best development route is establishing himself in as a top 6 in a higher league, with a team, system, people and coaches he's been familiar with since he was a kid (easier for development). Then make the change to NA when he's fully mature and developed. But if he's committed to the AHL route, good for him. I hope he sticks to it and it works out. He's got a lot of talent.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
With Giroux, Nico/Nolan, Couturier, Rubstov and Vorobyov, will be interesting to see where they fit. Maybe Rubstov stays at wing. Maybe in a few years Giroux gets moved to wing once the kids are ready.

Who knows.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
I think Vorobyov has an outside shot at making the team as the 4C next year. At the very least, I think he's the first injury call up for a center and should have a spot on the team in 19-20.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
He's seems to be a lock to make the team and the leading candidate to play as 3rd line center behind Couturier & Patrick.

Provorov4Norris

Sep 28, 2017
have to wonder if he'll get time on PP2 this year playing the Giroux role. For the first time in 5-6 years they'll have a good PP2 with Konecny, Patrick, JVR and Provorov as likely staples (PP1 is likely G-V-Couts-Simmonds-Gost) and then you'll either likely have Vorobyev or maybe Lindblom/Sanheim as the #5.

At this point I'd guess that Vorobyev is a better fit due to his vision and setup ability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad