C Mikhail Vorobyov - Salavat Yulaev Ufa, KHL (2015, 104th, PHI)

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He is off to a good start. Just wondering if anyone can give us any info on him thru the year. We get info on the a Flyers board but outside opinions of him if/when you see him would be welcomed.

1 goal
11 assists
12 points
+4
47.8% FO%

through 11 games now.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know from reading his game log, but for context, 11 of those points came in three games, including eight in his last two. His shooting percentage is a bit underwhelming to start, but should improve with a little puck luck. Full games, in addition to highlights, can be found on the YT channel below, where he's #24 in green in the highlights:

SchennSational1022*

Some of Flyers scouts had this kid pegged as 2nd round talent, so the Flyers are very high and surprised they got him where they did to say the least.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
We are starting to put together a good little group of prospects at forward with:

Konecny-slow start...bad tea.
Aube-Kubel-great start
Lindblom-good start
Leier-AHL
Cousins-AHL
Vorbyov-great start
Fazleev

Everyone talks of our D, but these are some good depth guys with upside. No star for sure unless Konecny becomes that.

Looking forward to the next draft and drafting more guys with top 6 upside.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I wouldn't call Vorobiev's start a "great" start. It's a good start for an MHLer. Making a KHL team would be a great start.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I wouldn't call Vorobiev's start a "great" start. It's a good start for an MHLer. Making a KHL team would be a great start.

I would rather him get lots of icetime than sit on the bench in the KHL.

Last year he had 20 points on 39 games.
This year he has 12 points and 11 games.

I think that's a great start for our 4th rounder.

Chuck Downie

Filthy Blonde
Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller
Not much to complain about with Vorobyov so far except for his consistency. I think coming to NA next year would help. Not sure if he has a contract in Russia though.

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
Anyone have any updated thoughts on M. Vorobyov? I don't get to watch him much. I've only seen him play one KLH game this season. He looks like he's an above average skater, strong on the boards, and a good passer, but needs to work on his shot. Am I correct here?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Anyone have any updated thoughts on M. Vorobyov? I don't get to watch him much. I've only seen him play one KLH game this season. He looks like he's an above average skater, strong on the boards, and a good passer, but needs to work on his shot. Am I correct here?

Here are a few comments from the Flyers boards recently on guys who have seen him.

I caught all of Vorobyov in the showcase and the hype was deserved. Such a smart 2-way center and playmaker. I remember the knock was he needed another half step skating wise, and he definitely got it. I eagerly await the day we can roll a bottom 6 of Rubtsov AND Vorobyov to compliment G and Coots.

For his age getting 0.5 PPG would be really impressive over a whole season.

In the KHL's eight year existence only eight 'junior eligible' players have reached that mark while playing 20+ games:

Kuznetsov: 0.73 & 0.84
Filatov: 0.85
Yakupov: 0.82
Vasilyev: 0.75
Buchnevich: 0.63
Tarasenko: 0.57
Panarin: 0.53
Kaprizov: 0.51

If he can get 0.4 over whole season that is still impressive.

His numbers though are being inflated by being with Kaprizov... they do compliment each other very well (will be fin to watch at WJC on line together), but Vorobyov benefits more from Kaprizov than the other way around.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I wouldn't call him a lock, as Russia's pool of junior players is deep this year, but I think he has a very good shot to be there.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I wouldn't call him a lock, as Russia's pool of junior players is deep this year, but I think he has a very good shot to be there.

Barring injury he is there.

He will likely be centring the 1st line between Kaprizov & Guryanov... he is effectively the incumbent 1C going off u-19 and u-18 internationals over last two seasons... and he has done nothing to relegate himself from that role.

He is a 19 year old playing 3C or 4C (depending on the game) in the KHL... and very much holding his own there.

Him not being selected would be crazy. He is the only WJC eligible centre for Russia who is a KHL regular.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
What's Russia's WJC depth chart at C?

From the russian WJC2017 thread. So don't take MaxV's statement too seriously.

There will be no 1st line as basically 3 lines will be pretty equal. But Vorobiev should be centering one of them.

I just tried to compose two teams and I had something like this:

Team A

Kaprizov - Vorobyov - Guryanov
Popugayev - Rubtsov - Kostin
Sokolov - Trenin - Abramov
Yurtaikin - Alexeyev - Krikurenko

Rykov - Voronkov
Zaitsev - Fatkullin
Volkov - Zborovsky
Chmykhov

Krasotkin
Sukhachyov

Team B

Polunin - Karnaukhov - Artyomov
Korostelev - Zhukenov - Tyanulin
Kotlyarevsky - Shvyryov - Chebykin
Mityakin - Kvartalnov - Li

Sergachyov - Sidorov
Kudako - Schemeryov
Karpukhin - Minulin
Samorukov

Samsonov
Berdin

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Reminds me some of Anisimov when Anisimov wasn't as good as he has become the last year or two. Seems like more of a two way player than a really skilled forward, like Kaprizov and some of the other recent very highly regarded Russian forwards.

Last edited:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
His skating looks pretty good on the smaller ice vs his peers too.

In the KHL it looks ~average, not a detriment at all, but not 'good'... but has looked pretty strong here.

His game is pretty suited to small ice too, not a big hitter (though he can when he feels like it) but great on the boards and a guy who takes pride in his defensive game.

Hopefully he can move back up the Salavat line-up... he looked to have locked down a middle six C spot for a while, but then he went to 4 nations tournament and Salavat got a player back from injury and he dropped down to the 4th without really doing anything to deserve a demotion, just a numbers/chemistry game.

He certainly has 3C NHL upside going forward.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad