C Mikhail Maltsev (2016, 102nd, NJD, traded to COL)

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
@Caser What do you think of his ability to translate his game to NA? Wasn't flashy in the WJC but played a role that went largely unnoticed while providing a lot of value. Haven't seen much of him outside of that tournament. He seemed to posses some good "NHL" skills and that would translate well, but I'll trust your judgement on him.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
@Caser What do you think of his ability to translate his game to NA? Wasn't flashy in the WJC but played a role that went largely unnoticed while providing a lot of value. Haven't seen much of him outside of that tournament. He seemed to posses some good "NHL" skills and that would translate well, but I'll trust your judgement on him.

To be honest, I think that with the modern NHL style, the "translate his game to NA" thing is not such a big deal anymore (maybe except for defensemen), so it's mostly about if Maltsev becomes good enough or not.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
This is a player with an NHL future. I think he did really well in the KHL this season when he appeared, everyone seemed pretty excited about his potential. I thought he was very solid at the World Juniors - responsible two way player with size and smarts. Looking forward to seeing if there is any untapped offensive potential, as this seems to be the remaining question mark.

ScottyMascotty

Dec 24, 2017
St. Petersburg
Played very well with Yakupov and Plotnikov in a pre-season game vs Kunlun' Red Star on August 23th, had an assist, though both his wingers could score more. Looks totally ready to play constantly in KHL.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Who was the last academy product to break into the SKA starting lineup?

So far, talented late round picks like Maltsev, Altybarmakyan and Rykov all have struggled to keep a consistent spot in the SKA lineup at some point or another. Is the same thing going to happen with Podkolzin, Morozov and Marchenko? Its one thing when late round fliers are not playing, its completely different when players that NHL teams invested early picks on aren't playing. I guess you could say that Dergachyov was an early round pick who didn't play much at SKA, so that would be comparable to Morozov or Marchenko, but it'll likely be completely different if Podkolzin doesn't play much next season.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
According to our assistant GM he wants to come to play in North America when his contract expires after his KHL season ends. He seems like a talented player , we could get a better read on him with a season under his belt in the AHL next year. He is only 20 so he is still young. Not sure what we have here but I like how he can play center which is always a good luxury to have.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He actually should play another couple of seasons in the KHL, especially considering, that SKA will lose some key players after this season, so Maltsev can get the 3C or even 2C role. Much better money, than in the AHL, and he's been developing pretty good so far, so it'd be stupid to change anything. He isn't NHL ready, and AHL won't help him a lot.

Reactions: ScottyMascotty

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He actually should play another couple of seasons in the KHL, especially considering, that SKA will lose some key players after this season, so Maltsev can get the 3C or even 2C role. Much better money, than in the AHL, and he's been developing pretty good so far, so it'd be stupid to change anything. He isn't NHL ready, and AHL won't help him a lot.

This is true I think he is like a Kamenev type. Others who are similar 200 ft players like Barbashev, Trenin are having a hard time yet they also played in the CHL. Mikhail Vorobyev went over at 20 and I'd say another year at least in the KHL wouldn't have hurt him either.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Happy to be the first person to post this gem. A potential "goal of the preseason" and "one of the most disgusting goals I've ever seen."

Reactions: thethinglonger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad