C/LW Alexei Lipanov - Spartak Moscow, KHL (2017, 76th, TBL; traded to DAL; released)

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Just noticed that Alexei Lipanov, while being rather highly rated (usually second round last time I checked), doesn't have his own thread, so I decided to create one.

Here's what I see: 6'0" center, a bit lightweighted (listed at 169 lbs) with good wheels, hands and vision, also a hard-working type of player.

His EP profile: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=312824

Reactions: AVictoryDive

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
He is pretty awesome from what I have seen this season. VHL, WJAC-19, Hlinka... he has impressed in all three. And he is really young for the draft to boot. Mid-August born.

Has all the tools to be an NHL player down the line, would be a guy I'd love to get in the early 2nd.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think he's close to a top 10 pick. I know most would say second round, but I think he's very underrated. Next year he should be playing in the KHL.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Crazy he didn't have his own thread, kid has got to be the most underated top 15 talent in the draft.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
At this point does anybody think he could be the first Russian player off the board this year with Kostin losing so much time? I know Lipanov had his own injury earlier in the season. He's been rated all over various boards

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
At this point does anybody think he could be the first Russian player off the board this year with Kostin losing so much time? I know Lipanov had his own injury earlier in the season. He's been rated all over various boards

I wouldn't be surprised if he surpassed Popugayev on some teams' boards, as Popugayev isn't playing well right now.

Kostin is still top Russian prospect in this draft, his tools are awesome and upside is very high.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Kids got the full package. Shooting Skating stick handling, defensive work, passing. would love to draft him in the 2nd round.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Should push him out of the first round.

Gonna hurt his hockey development, lets see if he's good enough to overcome this drop in development.

He's not thaaat good, hasn't performed in the MHL or against any real competion, if he busts it sure won't because he came to North America.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's not thaaat good, hasn't performed in the MHL or against any real competion, if he busts it sure won't because he came to North America.

He's pretty good, I had him top 20 in my most recent draft rankings, but you are right, he could bust.

I'd rather he get transferred to another KHL team though than join the CHL. Maybe AHL next year instead?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He's pretty good, I had him top 20 in my most recent draft rankings, but you are right, he could bust.

I'd rather he get transferred to another KHL team though than join the CHL. Maybe AHL next year instead?

How is the AHL better for an 18 year old than the CHL though? Unless you're a W. Nylander level prospect.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
How is the AHL better for an 18 year old than the CHL though? Unless you're a W. Nylander level prospect.

I don't think Nylander is all that much better. I had him I think in the 8-13 range last year, I have Lipanov #16 right now, so not much of a difference. Would be a good fit. He's borderline KHL ready, but the AHL is a step down from that, so he should be able to do a good job there.

He'd score 100 points in the CHL, don't need that.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
I don't think Nylander is all that much better. I had him I think in the 8-13 range last year, I have Lipanov #16 right now, so not much of a difference. Would be a good fit. He's borderline KHL ready, but the AHL is a step down from that, so he should be able to do a good job there.

He'd score 100 points in the CHL, don't need that.

William, not Alex.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
William, not Alex.

:facepalm:

Yeah, then that isn't close. I think Willy is going to be an NHL star.

Alex Nylander had 28 points in 65 AHL games. I think Lipanov could have about a .33 points rate in his first AHL season, wouldn't be bad. Would be better than 100 points in the CHL.

Colts

The Suzuki Show
Aug 20, 2015
Molson Centre
He's likely gonna be on the top line with Svechnikov how is that possibly gonna hurt his development? :laugh: if the plan is to play in the NHL why not come to the CHL and adjust to the NA style game.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Move before getting Andrei Svechnikov. Barrie will have quite the Russian vibe next year if true.

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
As a Lightning fan, I am liking what I'm seeing in this thread.

Can you guys tell me what you like so much about him? Could he be a potential top line player? I know virtually nothing about him, or the other Russian that TB took, Volkov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->