C Jake Wise - Boston Univ., NCAA (2018, 69th, CHI)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Over two years of evidence, I'd say he's the best draft-eligible forward on the NTDP team. At the very least, he deserves the same top 15 consideration that Wahlstrom and Farabee will get.

I like Jake Wise, but it’s Wahlstrom and it’s not even close.

Reactions: Andrei79

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I like Jake Wise, but it’s Wahlstrom and it’s not even close.

Thats the popular opinion.

I think Wise has a higher ceiling and higher floor. Wahlstrom is flashier though. A lot of people like goal-scorers with size and speed. I just have some questions if Wahlstrom has enough to the rest of his game to actually use that goal-scoring. If you can't keep up with the pace of the game from a hockey IQ standpoint and make the passes that all good top 6 forwards can, how much does it matter how good your release is?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Thats the popular opinion.

I think Wise has a higher ceiling and higher floor. Wahlstrom is flashier though. A lot of people like goal-scorers with size and speed. I just have some questions if Wahlstrom has enough to the rest of his game to actually use that goal-scoring. If you can't keep up with the pace of the game from a hockey IQ standpoint and make the passes that all good top 6 forwards can, how much does it matter how good your release is?

I don’t really see the holes in Wahlstrom’s game at all you’re referring to, but I’m one of his biggest fans on here. Wahlstrom is a top 5 guy for me in this draft.

I like Wise too, I just can’t see the basis for a statement like that at this point. Maybe if he didn’t get hurt it would be interesting. But Wahlstrom has just taken off this year.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I don’t really see the holes in Wahlstrom’s game at all you’re referring to, but I’m one of his biggest fans on here. Wahlstrom is a top 5 guy for me in this draft.

I like Wise too, I just can’t see the basis for a statement like that at this point. Maybe if he didn’t get hurt it would be interesting. But Wahlstrom has just taken off this year.

I am not going to get in the debate between Wise and Wahlstrom as 2 years ago for me it was Wise hands down...now it is Wahlstrom hands down, but there are some reasons for it which have been stated above.

I honestly see no holes/issues in Wahlstrom's game...period. I, like you, have been shouting this kids name in every thread I can find the past year and a half and he only continues to provide game after game of evidence of how good he is.

I will say this, and not speaking for Pavel, but what Wise is doing on a 2nd line is absolutely impressive. He is of course playing with skill as that USNDP team is simply loaded with the call-ups they made, but to see Wise still producing despite not playing much with Wahlstrom, Hughes, or Farabee has been extremely telling....and one could only wonder what numbers he would be putting up if he was slotted in the middle of that top line instead of Hughes.

I really would love to see Jake Wise listed in ISS and Bobby Mac's final top 20...that is where he deserves to be, will scouts see what we have been seeing the past 3 months as well???

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin
He is of course playing with skill as that USNDP team is simply loaded with the call-ups they made, but to see Wise still producing despite not playing much with Wahlstrom, Hughes, or Farabee has been extremely telling....and one could only wonder what numbers he would be putting up if he was slotted in the middle of that top line instead of Hughes.
Just because I'm curious: Do you think Hughes being C on the first line is justified or would you rather see Wise there - and if so, why?

Reactions: jeromemorrow

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I am not going to get in the debate between Wise and Wahlstrom as 2 years ago for me it was Wise hands down...now it is Wahlstrom hands down, but there are some reasons for it which have been stated above.

I honestly see no holes/issues in Wahlstrom's game...period. I, like you, have been shouting this kids name in every thread I can find the past year and a half and he only continues to provide game after game of evidence of how good he is.

I will say this, and not speaking for Pavel, but what Wise is doing on a 2nd line is absolutely impressive. He is of course playing with skill as that USNDP team is simply loaded with the call-ups they made, but to see Wise still producing despite not playing much with Wahlstrom, Hughes, or Farabee has been extremely telling....and one could only wonder what numbers he would be putting up if he was slotted in the middle of that top line instead of Hughes.

I really would love to see Jake Wise listed in ISS and Bobby Mac's final top 20...that is where he deserves to be, will scouts see what we have been seeing the past 3 months as well???

I can agree with you guys that the gap between the two shouldn’t be at big as it is in most rankings. I like Wise as a late 1st rounder and I don’t see him cracking anyone’s top 31 list right now.

But if we’re going to throw out hot takes, I don’t think the gap between Zadina and Wahlstrom is nearly as big as people think. I think Wahlstrom would destroy the Q if he was playing there this year and he’s quite a bit younger.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Just because I'm curious: Do you think Hughes being C on the first line is justified or would you rather see Wise there - and if so, why?

oh it absolutely is justified. Hughes has just been flat out amazing this entire year, and I can't blame USA Hockey one bit for bringing him up and putting him on the top line. If anything, Hughes coming up and plying with that top line might have helped Wise get settled back in without the spotlight on him or heavy expectations...he has kind of taken a backseat to a few names on his team only to simply start tearing things up the past month plus. Wise is benefiting from Hughes as well indirectly, but from what I have seen from Wise, he is starting to take charge a bit more, push the play more, shoot the puck more...just become a more dynamic player that he should have been all year long when healthy.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
The top 6 is pretty well balanced since they shifted Farabee to the Wise line a few games back.

Gruden - Hughes - Wahlstrom
Farabee - Wise - Caufield

Hard to argue with that.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI

Just to echo what the others have said, Hughes definitely deserves to be the #1C on the team. Wise has been playing very well since his return, but Hughes is playing at another level -- he's been that good.

As for whether Wise will get moved up in the rankings, we see scouts at all the home games (they all dress alike :laugh:), so I'm sure his play isn't a secret.

Reactions: Frannel

Peeps

May 24, 2017
The top 6 is pretty well balanced since they shifted Farabee to the Wise line a few games back.

Gruden - Hughes - Wahlstrom
Farabee - Wise - Caufield

Hard to argue with that.

wow that's a dangerous top 6

Wise is a lock 1st rounder for me. A center with so much talent is always valuable.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Gruden with a nice uptick in points the past week plus for obvious reasons...I would like to see Weiss see some top 6 minutes as well he has had an up and down year

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

It's already been hammered by other posters since you asked your question, but not only is it justified, there's not much debate about it - Hughes has been better and by a fair margin. He's the best player on that team currently.

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin
It's already been hammered by other posters since you asked your question, but not only is it justified, there's not much debate about it - Hughes has been better and by a fair margin. He's the best player on that team currently.
Hughes is the best player on that team, and should be the 1C.
oh it absolutely is justified. Hughes has just been flat out amazing this entire year, and I can't blame USA Hockey one bit for bringing him up and putting him on the top line.
Just to echo what the others have said, Hughes definitely deserves to be the #1C on the team. Wise has been playing very well since his return, but Hughes is playing at another level -- he's been that good.
As for whether Wise will get moved up in the rankings, we see scouts at all the home games (they all dress alike :laugh:), so I'm sure his play isn't a secret.
Thanks to all of you for your answers :)
@Whalers Fan: And how do the scouts dress?

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Thanks to all of you for your answers :)
@Whalers Fan: And how do the scouts dress?

Most of the scouts wear a dark-colored collared pullover (sometimes with their team's logo), dark gray or black slacks, and a dark peacoat. They carry a lineup sheet with the line pairings -- different than the one handed out to us. Most carry a notebook, although a few of the more technically savvy may have a laptop or tablet.

The guy who sits next to me refers to the apparel as the "scout's uniform". :)

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Gruden with a nice uptick in points the past week plus for obvious reasons...I would like to see Weiss see some top 6 minutes as well he has had an up and down year

I don't think Gruden and Weiss belong in the top 6. Gruden does more so than Weiss, but I think it should be Turcotte and Caufield. They've put Caufield there already, so its mostly just Turcotte is getting shafted with his line mates.

Reactions: Acadien86

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin
I don't think Gruden and Weiss belong in the top 6. Gruden does more so than Weiss, but I think it should be Turcotte and Caufield. They've put Caufield there already, so its mostly just Turcotte is getting shafted with his line mates.
Turcotte used to play C with the U17s didn't he? Now he is a winger... maybe this is the reason he is not on the second line?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I am saying it for selfish reasons, I want to see him get drafted higher than where he likely goes...playing with top line talent can help that.

Gruden is more deserving this year of playing on that top line but always liked Weiss and hope he gets the chance to grow and showcase his abilities.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Okay, but could that be the reason he is on the third line right now? As a C would he rank behind Hughes and Wise or before Wise?

It's tough. On one hand, I think he's a better NHL prospect than Wise, but he's also a year younger. Maybe not as good right now, but probably will be in another year. Compared to Hughes, I think he's not as good right now. I'd consider there to be a chance that he has a better NHL career, he's a little more suited for the pro game than Hughes, but I would still say Hughes is slightly better now and will likely but not definitely have a better NHL career, although Turcotte is that next tier. That's why I'd put him on the second line wing. Outside of the big three this year and Hughes, he's the next best forward on that team. He shouldn't be on the third line with grinders.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I am saying it for selfish reasons, I want to see him get drafted higher than where he likely goes...playing with top line talent can help that.

Gruden is more deserving this year of playing on that top line but always liked Weiss and hope he gets the chance to grow and showcase his abilities.

I'm always surprised at how skilled Weiss is and how poor his offensive production is. There's talent there, could be a good late round buy-low candidate.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
2G, 1A today. Points in 8 straight games. He's passed Farabee in PPG average, only players since 2000 in the USHL with a higher U18 PPG average are Matthews, Eichel, Hughes, Wahlstrom and Vanek. Wise is having a great season.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Should be back on everyone’s top 31 list. Hoping Detroit takes him with one of their picks in the 20-40 range.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->