C Jake Wise - Boston Univ., NCAA (2018, 69th, CHI)

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
don't sleep on this kid, now a bit more room to go around on this u-18 team with Tkachuk, Hughes, Jenkins, etc moving on.. I expect Wise to step up and take one of the top roles on this team for this year.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
don't sleep on this kid, now a bit more room to go around on this u-18 team with Tkachuk, Hughes, Jenkins, etc moving on.. I expect Wise to step up and take one of the top roles on this team for this year.

He didn't play with any of those players, except for a few games last season.

I keep hearing people say he was bad last season or needs a bounce back season. I don't think thats the case. If you expected Eichel or Matthews, he's just not that level of player. He's not gonna bounce back to that. Once you see him a bunch, thats obvious to recognize.

But he is a very good player, and I thought he was the best all-around player on the U17 NTDP team last season. Farabee was the best offensive player and Samuelsson the best defensive player, but Wise did everything. PK, PP, big ES minutes. I feel like he can up his point totals, as he has a pretty good variety of offensive tools, so maybe thats an area for improvement, but other than that, I'm not sure what people expect. He has his size working against him, but besides that, he's a very good player. Top 10-15 in this draft.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
He didn't play with any of those players, except for a few games last season.

I keep hearing people say he was bad last season or needs a bounce back season. I don't think thats the case. If you expected Eichel or Matthews, he's just not that level of player. He's not gonna bounce back to that. Once you see him a bunch, thats obvious to recognize.

But he is a very good player, and I thought he was the best all-around player on the U17 NTDP team last season. Farabee was the best offensive player and Samuelsson the best defensive player, but Wise did everything. PK, PP, big ES minutes. I feel like he can up his point totals, as he has a pretty good variety of offensive tools, so maybe thats an area for improvement, but other than that, I'm not sure what people expect. He has his size working against him, but besides that, he's a very good player. Top 10-15 in this draft.

I understand he didn't play with all those players, Jenkins was playing with him, there will be opportunity for him to produce on the u-18 team was my point -

He was by many of us being compared to Eichel, so his season last year was definitely a disappointing one...but as you said he is still a top prospect and someone that could definitely rise in the draft. Most "experts" barely have him in the first round, if he ups his totals like you said he should be a solid mid first rounder which would be a nice bounce back for him. he is an overall solid player just didn't have the flare of Farabee or Wahlstrom.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
If thats what the experts think, I'm not so sure they are an expert in this situation.

he had a down year from everyone including myself - if you think he didn't not sure what to say...

he has to rise back up to get back on the radar..love the kid but he has a lot to prove and is the odd man out when it comes to USNDP first rounders it seems..

Rogie21

Sep 10, 2005
In a post-season interview, Wise suggested he'd been more focused on defense than he should've been, but hopes to amp up the offense this year. First look at him will be the 9/21 All-American Prospects Game

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY

2017-12-30: #12 J.Wise - U18 vs North Dakota
  • 1st period shifts (6): swung low to win puck and breakout; hit far post and then dangling defenders to only shoot wide; again swings low to win puck but Weiss couldn't complete exit; pk toi with two clears by his unit; gave away possession on zone entry and wound up with a minus after the UND counter; and an inconsequential shift.
  • 2nd period shifts (6): ppga after losing draw and a near clear; breakout pass turned over; killing penalty time; and four inconsequential shifts to close period, including late pp toi.
  • 3rd period shifts (7): scoring chance sandwiched between two inconsequential shifts; near pp assist as d-man hits post; near assist again after takeaway; breakout after another takeaway; and extra attacker toi with under three to play but unit's shots were wide.

Reactions: Chainshot

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It says right above your post. He was injured for a few months.
I'm wondering if it was more about his fall from being projected as the next Eichel than his injury.

The big thing is, I don't think he's grown since 13. He was a big of a man-child in terms of build at a young age (he wasn't tall, but he was strong and filled out for his age). Another thing is, projecting 13 year-olds NHL potential is insanity. Better to wait until they are actually playing a high-enough level that challenges them such as major junior or u-20 euro leagues. A very similar thing happened with John McFarland.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I'm wondering if it was more about his fall from being projected as the next Eichel than his injury.

The big thing is, I don't think he's grown since 13. He was a big of a man-child in terms of build at a young age (he wasn't tall, but he was strong and filled out for his age). Another thing is, projecting 13 year-olds NHL potential is insanity. Better to wait until they are actually playing a high-enough level that challenges them such as major junior or u-20 euro leagues. A very similar thing happened with John McFarland.
Yeah this is what I meant.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's still a good prospect. With a good second half to the season, I don't see why he wouldn't be a first rounder, maybe a mid first.

As the gifs that @Woodhouse posted, he's a good two way player who can play in every situation. He's a good passer, good shot, good skater. He's skilled, although not outrageously skilled. There's not much he's not good at, other than being shorter for a center. But he should be able to stick at center due to his stocky build, and his defensive responsibility. All my viewing last season, he played well. Maybe I just watched his good games, but I was impressed.

The lack of good centers in this draft should also help him out. I actually think he's become very underrated, and some players on that NTDP team have become very overrated. I'd have Wilde in the top 10, but outside of that, flip a coin for second off the board from that team. I think it very well could be Wise.

Reactions: Frk It

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Pretty solid numbers since returning, especially since he is playing as the 2C. Any chance he creeps back into the 1st round?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Pretty solid numbers since returning, especially since he is playing as the 2C. Any chance he creeps back into the 1st round?

11 points in 12 games. 10 of those are assists, but he's more pass first anyway, and his shooting percentage is like 4%.

He also doesn't get to play on that first line, and pad his stats. The whole offense from the forwards for that team is the top line, and then Wise.

I find him very underrated.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
11 points in 12 games. 10 of those are assists, but he's more pass first anyway, and his shooting percentage is like 4%.

He also doesn't get to play on that first line, and pad his stats. The whole offense from the forwards for that team is the top line, and then Wise.

Yeah, looks like he’s playing with Gruden and Janicke... Have to imagine he’s carrying that line.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Wise has always had talent, it’s been a matter of him learning to play at his size. I haven’t been able to watch him but if he’s started to play like a Clayton Keller rather than a Jack Eichel then I see no reason he shouldn’t be a late 1st round pick.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
he is definitely showing he can produce, needs to shoot more and start netting some goals, but glad to see him out there and back on the ice. once hyped to the stars, this kid could be a wonderful rebound story and be a top 25 pick again if he keeps this up and plays well at the u18 - keep it up kid!

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Wasn’t it only a year ago he was considered Eichel/Matthews level?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad