C Jack McBain - Boston College, NCAA (2018, 63rd, MIN; traded to ARI)

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
I get it. What I meant was all scouts "project" where players will be, as much as where they are. The fact that he'll be playing in the OJHL could slow his development. He really showed in the Hlinka that he is one of the top C's in the age group (although he played wing as well) and that playing with better players made him better. He didn't fall behind, He lept ahead. IMO if he stays in the 10-15 range, someone will be getting a top 5 player when you look back 3 years out. Man I wish this kid would play in Barrie. Could you imagine Sechnikov/McBain/Lipanov????

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
**any** time you draft for 3 years in the future, over someone who can go into the NHL right this minute, is bad.

I don't know about that...in 2011, the Avs drafted Landeskog #2. Everyone said he was ready to play in the NHL right away, a future NHL captain, etc.

The Jets got Scheifele 5 picks later, and had to wait a few years for him to develop into the top line center he is today.

I'm not being critical of the Avs pick, nor of Landeskog, but in hindsight it would have been a very astute pick to take Scheifele at #2 instead of Landeskog.

If McBain can become a Scheifele-type player a few years after getting drafted, I don't think that would be a bad thing.

horner

May 22, 2007
Can someone tell me about this player

Rated between 10 to 19 in the 1st round

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Very little talk on McBain this season. Anyone with eyes on him?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Seems to have had a rather disappointing year imo.... I expected him to rip it up in that league. Still has potential

Peeps

May 24, 2017
He plays in the OJHL. :thumbd:
He takes a lot of PIM. :thumbd:
He went from ,97 PPG (2016-2017) to 1,20 PPG (2017-2018). :thumbu:
He's a tall centerman with good size. :thumbu:
Committed to NCAA. :thumbu:
I don't think he belongs before at least 23 players in the 1st round. So between 25 and 40 for me. ;)

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Looks like one of my favourites McBain put together a 6 point night in the playoffs last night in a 7-5 win.
3 goals.
3 assists.
Leads league in playoff scoring.

Leaf bound.......

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Looks like one of my favourites McBain put together a 6 point night in the playoffs last night in a 7-5 win.
3 goals.
3 assists.
Leads league in playoff scoring.

Leaf bound.......
So you think he's going 31st?

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Looks like one of my favourites, McBain got another 2 goals tonight, including the game winner in a 4-3 playoff victory. His team leads series vs Oakville 2-1.
McBain now has 6 goals in 3 games to go along with 3 assists. Has been in on 9 of his team’s 13 goals and leads the league in playoff scoring. A one man wrecking crew.
Good to see for a kid that was huge and instrumental in the Hlinka gold medal, led the WJAC in scoring this year but had a year in the OJHL that most would say was on the disappointing side with 21 goals and 37 assists for 58 points in 48 games.
Look forward to seeing him continue to dominate, hopefully open eyes again at the U18 WC and get back to his solid ranking where he belongs.

Reactions: 99664987

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
After scoring 6 goals and adding 3 assists in the first 3 ojhl playoff games, it looks like McBain got a 5 minute major (hit to head) and game misconduct in the fourth game.
I believe that carries an automatic suspension and with the series tied at 2-2 it looks like his days in the OJHL are done.
Too bad as he was dominating like we all expected.
Not sure if he can appeal in that league?
If not, his team is done. Bring on the u18 WC where we can get true peer to peer viewings.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Misused by Coaching staff in U18’s.
Good upside here. Lots of room to develop in BC after what looks to be 2 long years in OJHL. Should go anywhere from pick
25-40.

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018
He plays in the OJHL. :thumbd:
He takes a lot of PIM. :thumbd:
He went from ,97 PPG (2016-2017) to 1,20 PPG (2017-2018). :thumbu:
He's a tall centerman with good size. :thumbu:
Committed to NCAA. :thumbu:
I don't think he belongs before at least 23 players in the 1st round. So between 25 and 40 for me. ;)

Looks like you're prediction is becoming more and more accurate if one looks at where he sits in the pre-draft publications...

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I want to really like this player but reading about questionable skating and defensive awareness is concerning. Because if his offence doesn't pan out, what do you have?

I'm trying to picture a 15-20-35 shutdown guy with size and smarts but that may too generous.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
I don’t believe he had one goal scored against him at even strength at Hlinka or U18 world championships. I also believe he has been talked about as an excellent 200 foot player. I think LWOS who has him ranked 31st mentioned something about his own zone but no one else. The scouts like Button like his defensive play.
As far as his skating it doesn’t seem to be an issue. His first couple strides look like he could work on it because he’s 6’4, but full stride there seems to be No problem.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
A quick look shows McBain was top 10-15 in 11 test results.
Unreal showing.
Someone should put a top performers list together.

TLP

Apr 9, 2018
I have heard that McBain is injured to start the BC Eagles season? Can anyone clarify or confirm? Looks like he didn’t play an exhibition game against a Canadian University team. There is nothing on the BC website about injuries. BC plays Wisconsin twice this weekend.

Marshmont63

Jun 22, 2016
The Heights
I have heard that McBain is injured to start the BC Eagles season? Can anyone clarify or confirm? Looks like he didn’t play an exhibition game against a Canadian University team. There is nothing on the BC website about injuries. BC plays Wisconsin twice this weekend.
He has mono. He'll be out like 3-4 weeks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->