C Jack McBain - Boston College, NCAA (2018, 63rd, MIN; traded to ARI)

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I personally believe Jr A gets underrated here and the CHL gets overrated. But theres not really an argument, the CHL is better hockey and has better players. Although i bet we start seeing top tier players taking different routes in the next 15 years

Junior A always has talanted Canadian kids going the NCAA route, usually 1-4 get drafted in the first 2 rounds of the NHL draft. Along with that, you have kids that can't crack CHL teams, recent 18 year old Midget AAA grads, etc.

Junior A to the CHL is a very large jump. The teams, aside from the top Junior A teams and bottom CHL teams, are not really a comparable level of hockey.

You will always have talented guys like Turris/Bennett/Cogliano/Makar/Colburne/Cholowski/Jost/Fabbro in the Junior A leagues. Always. You can compare the top guys to the top guys in the CHL. That's about where it stops. Aside from the 1/2 round talants (of which the CHL still has many more) the rest of the Junior A teams are vastly behind the rest of the CHL teams.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It's not as though he just "appeared". He has been known in the GTHL, was drafted by Barrie in the first round of the OHL draft (most likely would have gone much earlier if he hadn't said he wouldn't report.) Was a top scorer in the OHL gold cup, played u17 team Canada (but broke his arm I think), u20 team Canada and was invited to WC as a 2000. He is headed to Hlinka camp this summer and could/should make it. So while I would agree he will not be playing against the best players during the year, he has on the periphery.

What do these even mean? U-20 is the World Juniors, and no clue what you mean by WC.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
keep denigrating jrA/USHL/BCHL
how many players coming out ouf NCAA into pros played in these leagues 1or 2 years

chl is not wht is used to be

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
keep denigrating jrA/USHL/BCHL
how many players coming out ouf NCAA into pros played in these leagues 1or 2 years

chl is not wht is used to be

You're making absolutely no sense. No one has said anything about the USHL. But I'm going to take a wild guess and say virtually every player that comes into the NHL from the NCAA has played in a Junior A league or the USHL being that it's impossible to go to the NCAA after playing in the CHL.

At this point you're either trolling or you need to brush up on your hockey.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
I just noticed his name on the Lincoln Stars roster? I heard he was staying in the OJHL. Not sure where it stands.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
USHL would be a good move. Earlier in the summer, I heard he was likely to play for Georgetown (team in the OJHL, not the University).

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Made Team Canada Hlinka u18 team. Was aguably the best forward there. With respect given to Burzan who had a great camp. Was a notch above Veleno and Groulx at centre. Will be interesting to see the lines in the tournament. I think whether he plays in OJHL or not, will not hurt or help his ranking, now that he's made Team Canada. I would love to see him in Barrie tho. Lipanov, McBain and Svechnikov on a line would be great to watch.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Made Team Canada Hlinka u18 team. Was aguably the best forward there. With respect given to Burzan who had a great camp. Was a notch above Veleno and Groulx at centre. Will be interesting to see the lines in the tournament. I think whether he plays in OJHL or not, will not hurt or help his ranking, now that he's made Team Canada. I would love to see him in Barrie tho. Lipanov, McBain and Svechnikov on a line would be great to watch.

I've heard a tonne of rumours about him. Not sure where he will settle into this season. Lots of speculation. I agree though he looks to be a very solid center and with his size if he has a good year anywhere he should go high though he'll really need to blow the doors off the OJHL to keep that ranking. Now that he has made the team there will be a lot of eyes on him. My guess is him, Veleno and Groulx will be centers for Canada.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
BCHL or USHL

do the smart thing keep eligibility...

I don't think it matters one way or the other really if you are talented enough. Once you get an ELC it's not like a college education is unaffordable, you have three years of guaranteed pay at a salary most people with degrees will never touch. Most talented guys only stay for a year anyways before signing. I could see it if you are considered a later rounder but does it really matter in the long run to get that 1 year of school in? Probably not.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
I don't think it matters one way or the other really if you are talented enough. Once you get an ELC it's not like a college education is unaffordable, you have three years of guaranteed pay at a salary most people with degrees will never touch. Most talented guys only stay for a year anyways before signing.

sure agreed. as you mentioned. Rare is a top 10 pick that NHL clubs (or players themselves) are patient enough to wait out the 4 yrs of college.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
sure agreed. as you mentioned. Rare is a top 10 pick that NHL clubs (or players themselves) are patient enough to wait out the 4 yrs of college.

Probably comes down to parents more than anything being worried their kid might not be good enough to make it. I knew two guys who want college route and played 2 years before coming back to Canada and going undrafted. It definitely served them. It really has no affect in the long run on guys like Kyle Connor or Jack McBain. They'll be one and doners and likely make a tonne of cash and if they leave the league a college/university education is chump change.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Well, I would love to see him in Barrie. That team is setting up be good for a number of years.
He looks way too good for OJHL. Reminds me of a left handed schiefele who also played for Barrie.
He looks good on wing but is a better centre. Will be interesting to see where he finally ends up.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Should be in everyone's top 15 right now, and has a case as the best Center prospect in the draft. He needs to fill out, improve his foot speed and get stronger on his skates, but he has all the tools to be a high-end center in the Schiefele mold. Will be interesting to see how he does at the WJAC and U-18. If Makar can go top 5 while not playing in any major Hockey Canada events, this kid can be a legit challenger to go very high. Especially with the desperation of bad teams for a franchise center, and this drafts lack of centers worthy of being a top 10 pick.

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
Solid prospect checks a lot of the boxes you wanna see in a prospect.
-not flashy
-good hands around the net
-hard worker
-very hard to handle down low
-good defence
-needs to improve skating
Likely 2nd line upside at the NHL level. Reminds me of Nolan Patrick.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
He really impressed me. Sometimes you see those big guys who don't win as many puck battles as they should and are slow to the puck because of how much energy it takes to move their body. This kid is 6'3, can absolutely fly, and he has a motor. Chases pucks all over the ice, that impresses me the most. Could see this guy as a Jeff Carter type of player in the NHL, might not be top 10 in scoring often, but he can play on Olympic teams because of his size, offensive skill, and mobility.

Maybe I'm looking too deep into details, but that's what sticks out to me as players. We all know this guy can skate, shoot pretty well, he's got a good head for the game, and he can make plays. He's not like Dylan Strome and doesn't move his feet, McBain definitely hustles around the ice and works hard to pressure defensively which is impressive as a 17 year old 6'3 kid.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
I truly believe that this kid is undervalued. Easily top 5 IMO. Don't draft for next year, draft for 3 years out. Also, I believe a WJC invite should be in the cards. The 99 group is weak. Just wish to heck he would play in Barrie. That would most likely guarantee both.

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
I truly believe that this kid is undervalued. Easily top 5 IMO. Don't draft for next year, draft for 3 years out. Also, I believe a WJC invite should be in the cards. The 99 group is weak. Just wish to heck he would play in Barrie. That would most likely guarantee both.

**any** time you draft for 3 years in the future, over someone who can go into the NHL right this minute, is bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad