C Jack McBain - Boston College, NCAA (2018, 63rd, MIN; traded to ARI)

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
not sure much difference with the OHL/CHL and OJHL/BCHL these days
chl wants you to believe it has a definite upper hand on "level" . not true anymore.

Now you are just talking complete nonsense. The OHL is absolutely alot better than the OJHL and AINEC. Any CHL major junior league is head and shoulders over junior A hockey. Are scouts so dumb as to draft inferior players from an inferior league? No, they draft where the talent is and if theres a major talent playing in the BCHL/OJHL, 9.5 times out of 10 they will spot this rare talent as well and even rank them accordingly.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
I think he (McBain) is headed to the HC u18 camp. If he makes that Hlinka team, it will be easier to get an understanding of what he brings to the table. Although it's not everything as Glass and Makar weren't on last years Hlinka team. Makar wasn't even invited to the summer camp if I recall correctly. Will be a good test for him.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
I think he (McBain) is headed to the HC u18 camp. If he makes that Hlinka team, it will be easier to get an understanding of what he brings to the table. Although it's not everything as Glass and Makar weren't on last years Hlinka team. Makar wasn't even invited to the summer camp if I recall correctly. Will be a good test for him.

Makar wasn't eligible as he's a late birthday, he'd already passed the U-18 age group.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Makar wasn't eligible I believe and Glass hadn't exploded by then yet. Virtually no one had him in their top 31 at this time last year. He was the prime example of a riser.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
Now you are just talking complete nonsense. The OHL is absolutely alot better than the OJHL and AINEC. Any CHL major junior league is head and shoulders over junior A hockey. Are scouts so dumb as to draft inferior players from an inferior league? No, they draft where the talent is and if theres a major talent playing in the BCHL/OJHL, 9.5 times out of 10 they will spot this rare talent as well and even rank them accordingly.

bull
top line jr A lines will compete with any chl top lines no problem especially now that chl is a diluted product
just horrible hockey

drafting via chl is one thing, how many nhl pkayers have played jrA /USHL before college and turning pro .

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
bull
top line jr A lines will compete with any chl top lines no problem especially now that chl is a diluted product
just horrible hockey

drafting via chl is one thing, how many nhl pkayers have played jrA /USHL before college and turning pro .

You're out to lunch if you think the average top lines from Junior A could go head to head with the average top lines from CHL teams. Most JA teams are populated with kids who were CHL rejects. Of course there are a few teams whose top lines could be great in the CHL but that list is limited to a handfull of teams.

Reactions: LeafChief

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
You're out to lunch if you think the average top lines from Junior A could go head to head with the average top lines from CHL teams. Most JA teams are populated with kids who were CHL rejects. Of course there are a few teams whose top lines could be great in the CHL but that list is limited to a handfull of teams.

Nope he's right, any junior A line would absolutely be 10000 x better than
Debrincat-McDavid-Baptiste, Kostitsyn-Gagner-Kane Tkachuk-Dvorak-Marner,
Drouin-Mackinnon-Frk.....................

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
bull
just horrible hockey

This doesn't even make sense, if I'm not mistaken last year you had DeBrincat-Strome-Raddysh and Tkachuk-Dvorak-Marner squaring off in a CHL series as lines. If you think any Jr. A team in the country had that much talent on their top lines, you simply don't watch much hockey. Hell I'd even wager that you couldn't build an all-star line from all the players who played Jr. A last year in North America that would even come close to those 2 lines.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
This doesn't even make sense, if I'm not mistaken last year you had DeBrincat-Strome-Raddysh and Tkachuk-Dvorak-Marner squaring off in a CHL series as lines. If you think any Jr. A team in the country had that much talent on their top lines, you simply don't watch much hockey. Hell I'd even wager that you couldn't build an all-star line from all the players who played Jr. A last year in North America that would even come close to those 2 lines.

Exactly Strome, Marner, DeBrincat plus a number of others... all of those guys would be setting league records for points in some Junior A leagues.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
absolutely no nhl talent has ever made it having played jr A
:laugh:

nhl is made up of mostly chl players

keep the dream

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
absolutely no nhl talent has ever made it having played jr A
:laugh:

nhl is made up of mostly chl players

keep the dream

No one is arguing that Junior A players can't make the NHL. They are arguing the absurd notion that the average Junior A team can keep pace with the average CHL team.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
I didn't realize Makar was a late birthday. Glass is a great example though. I agree CHL players in general are higher caliber, especially top endMcBain will in the same sort of class as Jost, Makar, Cogliano and Fabbro. I agree, an odd decision to not play in USHL, but not unchartered waters.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I didn't realize Makar was a late birthday. Glass is a great example though. I agree CHL players in general are higher caliber, especially top endMcBain will in the same sort of class as Jost, Makar, Cogliano and Fabbro. I agree, an odd decision to not play in USHL, but not unchartered waters.

I'm more surpised he didn't head to BC or Alberta. Guess he wants to try and pave the way for the OJHL and that is respectable. From what I can tell Cogliano and Brendan Smith are the only 1st rounders to ever come out of the OJHL at 25th and 27th overall there might be more than that I only started looking in the 80s.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Before Jost and Fabbro, who was top 10 from BCHL? There is always a first. Anyway, players come from anywhere. Europe, CHL, JR A, college and high school. Up to the scouts to project where they will be, not where they currently are. Agreed, I would like to see him playing in Barrie with Svechnikov, Lipanov and Suzuki. I think, from a hockey stand point, you can't beat that.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Before Jost and Fabbro, who was top 10 from BCHL? There is always a first. Anyway, players come from anywhere. Europe, CHL, JR A, college and high school. Up to the scouts to project where they will be, not where they currently are. Agreed, I would like to see him playing in Barrie with Svechnikov, Lipanov and Suzuki. I think, from a hockey stand point, you can't beat that.

Turkish went 3rd overall from the BCHL, he's likely the highest drafted player from a Canadian Jr. A league, at least in recent memory.

these guys are all plugs that cant compete with ohl :(

http://ojhl.pointstreaksites.com/view/ojhl/news-21/news_463139

69 OJHL ALUMNI OPEN 2016-17 NHL SEASON

and thats just ojhl.....

Look at how many actually played in the OJHL for a full season and weren't just late season call ups as 15 year olds after their Minor Midget seasons ended. The list drastically gets smaller.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
these guys are all plugs that cant compete with ohl :(

http://ojhl.pointstreaksites.com/view/ojhl/news-21/news_463139

69 OJHL ALUMNI OPEN 2016-17 NHL SEASON

and thats just ojhl.....

Why don't you take a look at that list. 95% of them are guys who played a couple games/season in the OJHL as a 14/15 year old before the made the direct jump to the CHL.

Unless of course you are going to claim that guys like:

Corey Perry
John Tavares
Ryan Murphy
Rick Nash
Mike Fisher
Mark Giordano
Josh Bailey
Mitch Marner
Connor Brown
Michael del Zotto
Cody Ceci
Brent Burns
Robby Fabbri
James Neal
Tyler Toffoli
Darnell Nurse
Sam Gagner
Max Domi
Ryan O'Rielly

Among many, many others count towards your absolutely ridiculous claim. These guys played a few games as 14/15 year olds before the jumped to the CHL at 16.

Your list literally holds no bearing, at all. Aside from disprove your point that everyone thought enough to move to the CHL as soon as they were eligible.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
Just not sure about how to compare stats, speed & performance when he is playing against lower calibre competition. Easy to see he's got the genetics and size to be a player, but how does he get ranked mid 1st round?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Turkish went 3rd overall from the BCHL, he's likely the highest drafted player from a Canadian Jr. A league, at least in recent memory.

Look at how many actually played in the OJHL for a full season and weren't just late season call ups as 15 year olds after their Minor Midget seasons ended. The list drastically gets smaller.

Yeah Makar is now in 2nd place I believe. If McBain can go top 20 he will be the first OJHL player to do so.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I personally believe Jr A gets underrated here and the CHL gets overrated. But theres not really an argument, the CHL is better hockey and has better players. Although i bet we start seeing top tier players taking different routes in the next 15 years

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Just not sure about how to compare stats, speed & performance when he is playing against lower calibre competition. Easy to see he's got the genetics and size to be a player, but how does he get ranked mid 1st round?

It's not as though he just "appeared". He has been known in the GTHL, was drafted by Barrie in the first round of the OHL draft (most likely would have gone much earlier if he hadn't said he wouldn't report.) Was a top scorer in the OHL gold cup, played u17 team Canada (but broke his arm I think), u20 team Canada and was invited to WC as a 2000. He is headed to Hlinka camp this summer and could/should make it. So while I would agree he will not be playing against the best players during the year, he has on the periphery.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->